1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 1919A4 transferred with alot of USGI parts. The Barrel Extension Spring was USGI and used with this barrel linked below:

Barrel with filed Izzy barrel extension spring picture link

The USGI spring would allow the barrel to skip notches with little twisting force, so I filed down an extra Izzy barrel extension spring as shown in the link below:

Filed down Izzy Barrel Extension Spring Picture Link

This modified/filed Izzy spring holds the barrel tightly. So I may use it. I am pretty sure the barrel is not 8mm or 30-06, it seats properly with .308. I could not find one mark on the barrel!

Anyone know what kind of barrel this is??? It looks like a USGI and Izzy Barrel mated.

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
Both links open Google Photos. The only thing I see is a name, a date and a sign in button. No pictures.
Maybe it's just my craptop acting up again? Refresh button was no help.

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,239 Posts
I can see the pics fine. That is a bit of a puzzler. It reminds me a bit of the Canadian C5A1 barrel mods, but we have only seen ones we modified here. Not aware of what the genuine Canadian mods look like. Also, I've seen commercially made barrels that are similar to this, but in 8mm. Can't imagine why anyone would make new 308 barrels, with Izzy ones still so common and cheap.

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
I can see the pics fine. That is a bit of a puzzler. It reminds me a bit of the Canadian C5A1 barrel mods, but we have only seen ones we modified here. Not aware of what the genuine Canadian mods look like. Also, I've seen commercially made barrels that are similar to this, but in 8mm. Can't imagine why anyone would make new 308 barrels, with Izzy ones still so common and cheap.
Lucky#13--

Definitely not a C1/C5A1 barrel. The Canadians used the same system of barrel notches as the US .30 Caliber Brownings. I was thinking along same line of a commercial barrel or an Argentine built M1919A4 7.65mm barrel. I believe they used the same style barrel notches as their M1928 Water cooled Brownings.

--fjruple

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,239 Posts
Lucky#13--

Definitely not a C1/C5A1 barrel. The Canadians used the same system of barrel notches as the US .30 Caliber Brownings. I was thinking along same line of a commercial barrel or an Argentine built M1919A4 7.65mm barrel. I believe they used the same style barrel notches as their M1928 Water cooled Brownings.

--fjruple
Thanks for confirming on the C1/C5 barrel. I didn't know what they did with the notches. Also, I have not seen an Argentine A4 barrel, only the water cooled versions. On those, the notches are much wider and only 12 around the diameter, as the lock mechanism is much different, being a square plunger rather than a leaf spring. If the Argy A4 is the same, that's off the list. So this remains a mystery, and perhaps even a one-off custom job.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Forum Gurus!

I appreciate the feedback about this strange barrel. The .308 seems to chamber in it correctly, not sure about 7.65 though. I just wish it had some kind of mark somewhere!

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
WARNING!!

A .308 cartridge WILL chamber in a .30-06 barrel that's not in an action. One can very likely be chambered and lightly forced into battery with a bolt action.

I have no firearm in .30-06 Springfield.
I DO have a good used Rem 700 barrel, though.

A .308 cartridges drops right in. Good and snug, not too tight unless it was was forced in further,
The round looks to be just a couple hairs shy of being in deep enough to close a bolt on.

A .308 round is much shorter than a .30-06, The '06 is much longer.
The taper on the .308's case just happens to fit just right in a '06 barrel with just a bit hanging out.
A certain recipe for disaster.

Moral of this story; Don't rely on that .308 round LOOKING like it fits.

·
Registered
847 Posts
[I]" A .308 cartridge WILL chamber in a .30-06 barrel that's not in an action. One can very likely be chambered and lightly forced into battery with a bolt action.

I have no firearm in .30-06 Springfield.
I DO have a good used Rem 700 barrel, though.

A .308 cartridges drops right in. Good and snug, not too tight unless it was was forced in further,
The round looks to be just a couple hairs shy of being in deep enough to close a bolt on.

A .308 round is much shorter than a .30-06, The '06 is much longer.
The taper on the .308's case just happens to fit just right in a '06 barrel with just a bit hanging out.
A certain recipe for disaster.

Moral of this story; Don't rely on that .308 round LOOKING like it fits.

Creating problems to solutions for over fifty years. "
[/I]

NO NO NO NO ! A .308 will begin to enter a 30-06 chamber, but has to be forced to fully chamber. I just went thru this. Thought I had some .308 ANM2 barrels. Nope after checking each one, no .308 would seat correctly. But After getting a couple of real .308 barrels, .308 fit really nice, and 30-06 will not go all of the way in.

I appreciate the feedback about this strange barrel. The .308 seems to chamber in it correctly, not sure about 7.65 though. I just wish it had some kind of mark somewhere!

I assume the first picture from NBC-LT, that that 30-06 cartridge won't go in any further? Thats what my .308 barrel looks like with a 30-06 cartridge inserted.

·
Registered
66 Posts
It's not necessarily a disaster if you fire .308 through your .30-06 barrel, but you do wind up with some funny-looking brass (sort of like a rimless .444 Marlin) and the gun doesn't run at all. You also provide your buddies with "ball-busting" material that lasts for years.

No, it wasn't me, but I was there when it happened, LOL.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
7.65?

I'm fairly certain that the barrel is neither 30-06 or 8mm, however 7.65 Argentine is a total mystery to me. Would 7.62 fit in a 7.65 barrel?

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
Hmm. I thought I made it very clear a .308 would not fit all the way in, but darn close.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I have a similar barrel I picked up several years ago. It is completely unmarked and is in 8mm, has the same narrow notches. Picture attached with an 8MM round in the chamber

Attachments

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Definately not 8mm

I have a similar barrel I picked up several years ago. It is completely unmarked and is in 8mm, has the same narrow notches. Picture attached with an 8MM round in the chamber
Here is a picture link of the mystery barrel loaded with 8mm
8mm loaded

Here is the same barrel with .308
7.62 X 51 loaded

Probably some sort of commercial make - just hope it's not 7.65 Argentine

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
Using my unattached '06 barrel, I dropped a 7.65 Arg. round in the chamber just for curiosity's sake.
It went in all the way in snug with the base flush with the end of the actual chamber. Too far by about a tenth of an inch for correct fit. Nothing for an extractor to grab.

I don't know what the flipping google is wrong with my computer. I can't see a single one of your pics for some reason. Just the page.

·
Registered
66 Posts
If you really want to know without actually pulling the trigger on a "maybe correct" round, go to Brownell's and buy an ingot of Cerrosafe to make a chamber cast. It's a metal alloy that melts at an extremely low temperature, so it's easy to melt it and pour it into the chamber to make a chamber cast. Then get the calipers out and take measurements to tell you for sure what the chamber is.

The stuff has been part of my kit for many years and really comes in handy when someone wanders into the shop with an old smokepole of some sort and wants to know what ammo fits it.

·
Premium Member
3,032 Posts
Dink is correct. Sometimes a chamber cast is the only way to go. I'm in Nevada. If you are willing to pay the freight both ways I'll cast and mic it for you as a "congrats on the new toy" gift.

·
Registered
7,251 Posts
...maybe 7MM...?

Found a 1919 type/style barrel at a gun show. Nothing would fit...30/06,.308,8MM,7.65 Arg were all tried. Then I put a 7MM Mauser round in the chamber and it fit perfectly. I bought it for $20 because no one could determine the cal. I knew it would be an uncommon cal....but I never thought I'd find one in 7MM. I marked the face of the barrel '7MM'

1 - 19 of 19 Posts