1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got my FA 1919a4 out of jail. So what spare parts should I have on hand to keep it running for many years?

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
The Browning design is very durable so it's not so much years of service as rounds fired. I have put over 30,000 through a 1917A1 and 20,000 through an M37 and the only part I have had to replace is the commercial made 8mm barrels that burn out about every 8,000 rounds. I did have to replace an extractor cover spring on my 1919A4 semi once. That all being said I do keep a set of spares on hand. Sear, Sear Spring, Firing Pin assy., Extractor assy., Recoil Spring, Extractor Cover Spring would be the basics. You will eventually end up with a complete set of parts as spares.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
I have been lucky over the years having only broken one part, an extractor, on a 1919A4. Original GI extractors seem to run hot and cold on availability, you probably should invest in at least a couple of those to be on the safe side. Most other parts for 1919A4s that you would probably break or wear out in normal use do not seem to be that hard to come by at present.

Should you run across any NOS GI barrels at a good price I would pick up a couple of those as well.

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
If I had the scratch for a FA and the money to keep it properly fed, I'd snag a couple complete parts kits for 'just in case'.

An extra barrel or two.
Barrel bearing lock rings.
A complete lock frame and barrel extension.
Extra firing pins.
Couple of spare sears.
Extractor.
A fresh recoil spring.

It's early, so I'm sure I missed something. :eek:

·
Registered
5,129 Posts
While topcovers are cheap I would grab at least one (stripped) in case of an OOB bends one.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Not really "wear" related, but I would have spare belt holding pawl pin and spring along with a couple of accelerator/breech block pins in my stash.....they sometimes get lost in the cleaning process. I have had one BHP Pin wear out and vibrate out of the gun while shooting, causing the cartridge spacers to slip out of position resulting in misfeeds.

Matt

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,032 Posts
Had an accelerator ear break off on me a couple of years back. Keep an extra on hand with my spares kit now. May never need it, but if I do. . .

·
Premium Member
1,038 Posts
Should you run across any NOS GI barrels at a good price I would pick up a couple of those as well.
What would be a good price for .30-06 or .308?

·
Registered
312 Posts
Broke

I have seen broken firing pins and even a barrel extension. Upper feed pawls wear out in guns that run links. .308 UFP's are hard to come by. I make them out of 30cal UFP's Always use a trunion protector. Sears and the flat spring in the bolt. I think its called the sear spring. Awh heck just buy another gun.

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
Beltfire SEZ: ".... just buy another gun."

.... or a parts set. Lots cheaper and ya got everything!

Carry On!
Gary
><>

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Beltfire SEZ: ".... just buy another gun."

.... or a parts set. Lots cheaper and ya got everything!

Carry On!
Gary
><>
Haha! That's what I'll tell my wife! "I have more than one because it's cheaper if something breaks honey...." Much smoother than "I want quads.......just because!" :rofl:

Matt

1 - 13 of 13 Posts