1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I find myself in possession of 2 tripods, and I am considering selling one. (considering.....)

Tripod 1) M2, made by AMC, brass tag with French markings, appears to have a 1957 date on it. Original green paint, 6.5 out of 10 condition-

Tripod 2) M122A1, Made by Frasier in 1974. Original finish, good condition, probably also a 6.5 out of 10 condition.

Id assume they are close in value. I searched M122A1's and didnt come up with much, the post war M2's seem to grab 400-650?

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Im interested too as I have a mint AF French redo M2. Sorry for the coat-tail jump. J
No worries man, it seems as if nobody here knows. Which is strange, because there are folks on this forum that can tell you the value of every screw on a wooden gun cart, the plant of origin for any 1919 part and the guy who inspected them......

Cmon, somebody chime in!

·
Premium Member
3,289 Posts
My 2 cents is that, for the average 1919a4 guy, the French tripods are not sufficiently distinguishable from any other M2 tripod. It's only the "high priests" that create the difference, make others care, and determine value. Let me give you an example, would anyone care about BA parts if there were not a few experts in the field that declare an interest? As I said --- just my 2 cents.

·
Premium Member
6,947 Posts
Scott I agree with Todd on this one lets face it at the end of the day most guys don't care they just want a gun that goes bang. Very few guys go to the level of detail that some of us do but in my opinion the M2 tripod would hold a little more value than the M122 since the average Joe does not know the difference or details between your post war and a WWII tripod. That being said they are both USGI tripods and with more guys doing semi M60's these days they both have a market but trying to determine the market value on them is another story as I have seen them range all over the board in price these days. I would check Epay as there are usually a number of the listed and it should help determine a fair price.

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My 2 cents is that, for the average 1919a4 guy, the French tripods are not sufficiently distinguishable from any other M2 tripod. It's only the "high priests" that create the difference, make others care, and determine value. Let me give you an example, would anyone care about BA parts if there were not a few experts in the field that declare an interest? As I said --- just my 2 cents.
Every hobby has its 'purists' that are willing to pay a premium for anything they find special. I own a Corvette....a mixmaster, restomod FrankenVette. I buy my parts online from the most affordable vendor. However, there are guys who insist on OEM, and they pay 4X the price. To each his own...guns seem to be the same way. Guys here will spend tons of money trying to get matching numbers and period correct items, because somebody else down the road values them more.

So, in the grand scheme of things, I was wondering if either tripod was more collectible (Not like a Singer 1911) but if one was really worth keeping if I chose to sell the other.

I did some brief looking online and I cant find many for sale, but as stated earlier, prices seem to be all over the place. 350-650???

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
I find myself in possession of 2 tripods, and I am considering selling one. (considering.....)

Tripod 1) M2, made by AMC, brass tag with French markings, appears to have a 1957 date on it. Original green paint, 6.5 out of 10 condition-

Tripod 2) M122A1, Made by Frasier in 1974. Original finish, good condition, probably also a 6.5 out of 10 condition.

Id assume they are close in value. I searched M122A1's and didnt come up with much, the post war M2's seem to grab 400-650?
This won't help with valuing the tripods, but is an interesting (to me) side bar.

After WWII the French tried to reassert control of their colonial empire and in the process became the US and British surrogate especially in French Indo-China where Uncle Ho had been waging a low intensity insurgency against the Japanese who had assumed the role of France after they took control of the country. The locals had a hard time deciding whom they resented the most, the French or the Japanese. France received large quantities of US military equipment including small arms and every sort of field equipment to resist a takeover by the VC. Your French marked M2 is probably part of that equipment given to France.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts