1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gents.....My amazing wonder dog Zoey has just turned 8 and she has ONE wish....she wants to camp on a beach in North Carolina. She wants to sleep in the sand and swim in the ocean and then pass out in the tent while shaking off violently on all my stuff. She wants a bonfire at night and to wake up in the morning and run into the ocean, chasing seagulls and crabs.

I want to take her on a trip to the Outer Banks (Or similar) where we can just set up camp for a night on the beach and enjoy the smiles only a Lab can bring. Shes still very spry, but getting towards her 'senior years'....I want to make this happen soon. Any suggestions?

Zoey the Wonder Lab thanks you. Sadie (My parents lab) Just HAD to photobomb the pic....

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
I think camping ON the beach in most places on the Outer Banks is verboten. Same for fires other than self-contained stoves. There is at least one island, and maybe more, reachable only by ferry which permits camping ON the beach. It's carry-in-carry-out -- everything, even water. No trash cans, no toilets, no picnic tables, nada. Without doing that, your best bet is to find a city limit of the beach that meets the National Seashore that has NO VEHICLE ACCESS, camp just inside the city limit, hiking in to it and hope you'll be left alone. Of course park your vehicle so as to not draw attention. As for animals, I think it varies by area and season. Good luck.

Carry On!
Gary
><>

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think camping ON the beach in most places on the Outer Banks is verboten. Same for fires other than self-contained stoves. There is at least one island, and maybe more, reachable only by ferry which permits camping ON the beach. It's carry-in-carry-out -- everything, even water. No trash cans, no toilets, no picnic tables, nada. Without doing that, your best bet is to find a city limit of the beach that meets the National Seashore that has NO VEHICLE ACCESS, camp just inside the city limit, hiking in to it and hope you'll be left alone. Of course park your vehicle so as to not draw attention. As for animals, I think it varies by area and season. Good luck.

Carry On!
Gary
><>
Zoey is very disappointed.
Is there ANYWHERE on the East Coast from say, Maryland to South Carolina where you can just find open, unmolested beach and you can just do your own thing??

·
Read Only
836 Posts
Zoey is very disappointed.
Is there ANYWHERE on the East Coast from say, Maryland to South Carolina where you can just find open, unmolested beach and you can just do your own thing??
I moved from Cape Cod. You could drive on Nauset Beach, Sandy Neck with your 4x4. You'll need to buy a permit, 2'x2' 3/4 plywood, shovel, jack, tow rope, and have fishing gear to stay out past dusk legally. Water is warmest this time of year and the stupid piping plovers are gone.

I just got back from Lake McConaughy and the beaches were perfect, cottonwoods near the water for shade, dogs did not get sick from seawater, drove right up to the water on the sand, and all for $5. 2 day drive from NY.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts