1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm still looking for one...but got to thinking....how does the local outdoor range react to such a rifle?
Do you shoot them at ranges, or on your private property...a friends place, or do they just decorate your man cave?
I know they wont be the easiest thing to lug around so it probably wont be in my weekly rotation...but it does seem like I will want to shoot it quite a bit.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
I bought my back in 2000(1) to shoot it at yearly BULLETFEST. since that is no more it's been sitting in my safe for the last 13 years.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
My local range allows us to shoot full auto so anyone showing up with a semi auto 1919 will not see a problem.

·
Registered
185 Posts
All the above. When I do go to the club, there may be some questioning, but was never told "NO". Always ask the range officer if they want to shoot it, and a lot of the time they are hesitant (nice way of saying scared) But I go, or try to go, once a week, and have a "reputation" as the belt fed guy.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
In my experience clubs really don't like anything that looks like a machine gun. I take my 1919A4s, both semi and FA, out to BLM land where I can shoot for miles with no one to look at me funny. I'm blessed to have thousands of acres of BLM land around me, and what's not BLM is Forest Service.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In my experience clubs really don't like anything that looks like a machine gun. I take my 1919A4s, both semi and FA, out to BLM land where I can shoot for miles with no one to look at me funny. I'm blessed to have thousands of acres of BLM land around me, and what's not BLM is Forest Service.
This is what I'm afraid of. It seems like alot of places if you show up with something other than a Garand or AR15...you get looks. Heck a few ranges, even my M1A has drawn attention, and its nothing like a 1919.

I'm a member of a club here in OK but have no idea how they will react to a 1919. My best place would be shooting it at my place in Nebraska when I'm up there, but then you get into the whole thing of potentially being pulled over with something like that in the car and being guilty until proven innocent.

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
Don't have that problem at the Illinois State Rifle Association range shooting a semi. Have been turned in a few times" some guy shooting a machine gun" but the RSO's know me and I have done live fire at the annual open house. Always offer a few shots to anyone sharing the 100YD bench rest range. Kids really get off on it and so do their dads.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
First couple times I went to the range with one I called ahead and asked permission. Initially they gave me a yes on the phone but were reluctant when I actually brought it (doesn't help that I'm 29 and have a baby face). I set it up with a RSO closely supervising the first time and didn't have any problems. I have brought it out a few more times since then and they let me have fun with it. I think that it helps that I let them fire a few rounds each time

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
I use a friends private land where I can fire anything from full auto to semi belt feds.
Occasionally some Tannerite or a BP mortar may go off as well. :D
There are plenty of objects to shoot too and I don't have to worry about cleaning up as it is literally a scrap yard.
Never even had an officer show up which is a bummer as I always have my paperwork in order and like educating them. :D
CaptMax

·
Registered
313 Posts
I shoot at an old military range our gun club has control of. It only goes out to 600 m. Not open to public and behind gates. There are seldom more than a half dozen club members and they all know me and get a kick out of seeing something different. i also shoot at a friends ranch.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Buffalo Rock Range in Ottawa IL has a plinking pit that allows full auto or crank fire. As long as your responsible and follow the rules all is good.

·
Registered
883 Posts
The only comments I have ever had at the various ranges that I have been to was "cool". Never any odd comments or hesitation.

I usually offer up a few rounds to any kids/new shooters that happen to be around as they get a real kick out of it.

I have min mounted on one of the German mg34/M53 tripods and it is damn accurate.

Actually.... after a rapid fire session of about 100 rounds into a steel target down range they did ask me to rotate through the targets so as not to wear them out... they said it with a smile though...

Not sure if that counts as negative.

Richard

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
Local Izaak Walton League 100 yard pistol/rifle range -- allows no .50 cal and no 'rapid fire.' 4th of July one of the ol fart Golfers With Guns approached as I was setting up and commented "Now that's not gonna be full auto, is it?" To which I replied "I wish." No further questions from the RO or the approximately 20 other folks on the range at the time.

Carry On!
Gary
><>

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Local range has no prohibition on shooting full auto 1917s, 1919s or any other type. All they ask is that the shooter follow the normal range rules such as shooting within the berms, not shooting at the steel targets with rifle caliber ammunition and so on. Of course all it would take is one idiot to ruin all of that by not following the rules.

As a member you are given a key to the range and can shoot any time during daylight hours.

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
I am the RSO so that not a problem. Due to the construction of the range, all fire has to be controlled. In NJ private ownership of FA is prohibited unless you a FA dealer or manufacturer. We have had the Coasties use the range in the past for weapons qual and familiarization. Once they were firing a M60 like Rambo and sent a tracer (which we told them not to use) into the woods over the other side of berm and caused a fire. If the individual is testfiring a "home" built I usually require the gun to be on a fixed tripod with T&E locked down with a three round belt. I had one incident were the "home" built went FA. Thank God it was on a fixed tripod. Rounds would have gone into the woods and the neighboring golf course.

PS-- The gun was a semi-auto MG42 home built.

--fjruple

·
Registered
7,893 Posts
I used to shoot at a range with 600 yard max targeting, but most of the belt fed or other NFA stuff was limited to the 100 yard range because the berms were higher along the lake shore on that range. [Lake Michigan] Eventually some clowns brought in unstable mounted guns, and the range got a little snippy about the belt feds shooting over the berms [and rightfully so], so I kinda disappeared from there and now shoot mainly on my hunting land. Ranges are short (er) than I'd like, but the freedom to shoot full auto, S/A, tracers, tannerite, and other stuff counters the down side for us......

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
Local Izaak Walton League 100 yard pistol/rifle range -- allows no .50 cal and no 'rapid fire.' 4th of July one of the ol fart Golfers With Guns approached as I was setting up and commented "Now that's not gonna be full auto, is it?" To which I replied "I wish." No further questions from the RO or the approximately 20 other folks on the range at the time.

Carry On!
Gary
><>
I am not far from this range. I belong to a club (AGC) and pay yearly dues. I took mine out with the attitude that I pay, I don't care if you like it or not. I did not have any trouble. I added a crank. Then I had some people watch to make sure I was hitting the berm that was about it. You know if you have some balls, research the rules before and hold your ground... you can really help change the nature of the range. When I first joined my club it was a bunch of paper punching old farts who made anything fun against the rules. A decade later, things have totally changed and we now have FA 1919a4s without any issue.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts