1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gents, a buddy brought me an old H&R .32 rimfire hammerless revolver the other day. (BLACKPOWDER CTG) Overall excellent shape except for a broken or filed down firing pin. Ive had NO luck locating one online. (Numrich is out of stock, nobody else seems to have them)

Its a simple part. Anoyne with a lathe could probably make one in under 2 minutes. Unfortunately, I dont have a lathe. I can also tell you that trying to add 1/8th of an inch of metal to the filed tip with a Harbor freight welder will literally MELT the old firing pin. Dont ask me how I know, but I no longer have the original to use as a template. :(

Im rebuilding this gun for a buddy of mine who inherited it. He REFUSES to believe this gun is only worth 100 bucks and will not listen to me when I say ammo hasnt been made for almost 80 years. Im now determined to find the firing pin and make it work JUST so I can prove to him that some old guns cannot be fired anymore, if only due to scarcity of ammo.

If anyone has a solid source, please let me know. If anyones willing to experiment on a lathe, Ill try and send you good mojo....

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,236 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
If all fails, I'll do one. Just call me.

Regards,
Tom

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
If you go on Gunbroker right now and enter..."H&R .32 rimfire hammerless revolver Firing Pin"...several pins pop up for a number of different "Models". I don't know how to figure out your exact "Model" number....but I'd bet dollars to donuts that one of them would fit your pistol. They're fairly inexpensive.
Good luck.

TiredIron

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
Plus one on Jack First. Have found some truly arcane parts there over the last few years. Plus, if they don't have it they tell you up front on the phone.

You are correct about it being a simple part to make on a lathe. The problem is doing the proper heat treat to make it hard enough not to peen over and soft enough not to shatter. If your guy is absolutely, positively not going to fire it - ever - then it is an easy fix to turn one out of high speed steel rod stock.

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you go on Gunbroker right now and enter..."H&R .32 rimfire hammerless revolver Firing Pin"...several pins pop up for a number of different "Models". I don't know how to figure out your exact "Model" number....but I'd bet dollars to donuts that one of them would fit your pistol. They're fairly inexpensive.
Good luck.

TiredIron
What? Just to prove a point, I copied and pasted your exact search term and came up with exactly ZERO matches. So, it look like you owe me dollars. If you can find the same pin I showed in my first post, Ill send you a dozen donuts.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Thanks for posting and to all for the responses

Thanks Scott for posting, I'm in the same position needing firing pins. H & R top break, Colt Police Positive, and a couple others from my grandfather. Yes, these have value only for sentimental reasons. Grandfather taught my Mom, her sisters, and her brother to shoot with them. Lessons were held in their basement, traditional German neighborhood. Close enough to the brewery that the men walked home from work with a pail of beer. FYI Budweiser was not then the oldest brewer in St. Louis. The Lemp family started long before A.B. came on the scene. They had a long and twisted history on Cherokee Street.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lemp_Brewery

·
Registered
1,096 Posts

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Scott,

Do your Buddy a Favor and DO NOT make it operational !!!! I'd hate for him to Discover the Other problems with those things and why someone filed the fireing pin.!!!! Those things were not Safe when they were New!!! Lou

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
1 - 13 of 13 Posts