1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been "given" some old US currency from a friend in exchange for some work I have done. As much as I would like to keep them all I can't. I realize I could just spend it as with any US currency but I have looked and there are some that are worth a lot more than face value. These range in date from 1899 up to 1953 and in denomination of $1 up to $100. There are both gold and silver certificates, consecutive numbered, & "Black Eagles" as they are called. Also several of the so called "horse blankets" because they are so large. Where would be the best place to get a fair price on these so I can recoup some of my "wages"? I would be glad to post some pictures if anyone was interested. I think I have about 20-30 of them. Should I just sell them on Flea-Bay?
CaptMax

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
I have been "given" some old US currency from a friend in exchange for some work I have done. As much as I would like to keep them all I can't. I realize I could just spend it as with any US currency but I have looked and there are some that are worth a lot more than face value. These range in date from 1899 up to 1953 and in denomination of $1 up to $100. There are both gold and silver certificates, consecutive numbered, & "Black Eagles" as they are called. Also several of the so called "horse blankets" because they are so large. Where would be the best place to get a fair price on these so I can recoup some of my "wages"? I would be glad to post some pictures if anyone was interested. I think I have about 20-30 of them. Should I just sell them on Flea-Bay?
CaptMax
Hi CaptMax,
I don't know much about paper currency but things like date, rarity, serial number, and especially condition all affect value. They are probably all worth more than face value. Lots of info on the Internet so you can research them your selves. Of course you can always take them into a coin and currency dealer for a quick appraisal. When you figure out what they are worth, send me a few pictures of the nice ones. Here is a link to get you started: http://www.antiquemoney.com/types/

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Redroth. I guess I will start searching the internet some more to see what I have. Some of these I have seen before, and some I haven't. And a few of them from the 20's look to have never been folded so they are in excellent condition. I will keep you posted what I find out.
CaptMax

·
Malim Praedari
384 Posts
+1 to Redroth. The best place to get an idea of real value is to go to a coin show or 2 nearby, then to a bigger, more regional show. There are plenty of people out there interested in US currency. But, go slowly and survey several dealers. You may be surprized (sp) at what you may find out. I appraised coins and currency for a number of years, and saw some folks jump too quickly and lose $$. I even knew of one couple that spent a $1000 bill and lost the extra $300 it was worth. Just my 2 cents worth - ymmv.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
I've collected currency before. Grading currency is much more difficult than coins. I would recommend finding a coin dealer and asking them to give you a value. They might do it on the spot for free.

There is a publication called Banknote reporter. Great information and they sometimes print a price guide.

Aside from the date of the currency, how "crisp" they are makes a huge difference in value.
Couple of other things to check for that affect value:
Hold them up to a light and check for pin holes.
How many folds or creases are in the bill.
How sharp are the corners
If you have old notes that are crisp, check them under a black light, if they glow they have been starched
Another practice is to wet them and iron them, check the finish of the printing. Compare it to a new bill and you will see the difference.

Post some pics, I'd like to see them.

Troy

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Thanks for the pics.

You definitely have some nice bills. I see if I have an old price guide around. It will probably be 15 years old but will give you some reference. I haven't collected currency since I discovered beltfeds.

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
I want those two, large consecutive singles and I don't even know why!??:confused:
:D
Cool pics. Thanks.

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
CaptMax SEZ: "....Here are some pictures, let me know what you think."

I think George looks like he's been smoking some of his hemp! :blackeye:

Carry On!
Gary
><>

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
CaptMax SEZ: "....Here are some pictures, let me know what you think."

I think George looks like he's been smoking some of his hemp! :blackeye:

Carry On!
Gary
><>
That was my observation too.:lol:

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Anyone notice the consecutive serial numbers on them?
I just found out this makes a difference, especially on "horse blanket" bills. :)
CaptMax

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
Anyone notice the consecutive serial numbers on them?
I just found out this makes a difference, especially on "horse blanket" bills. :)
CaptMax
Yes I did. I'd like to have those two if they aren't too high priced.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Max the one dollar bill that is printed with HAWAII on the back, I have one in a twenty dollar denomination. Had it for years, don't remember how or where I came up with it. :confused:

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Max the one dollar bill that is printed with HAWAII on the back, I have one in a twenty dollar denomination. Had it for years, don't remember how or where I came up with it. :confused:
I don't believe I have seen a twenty like that, I think these were printed like this before Hawaii was a US state.
I can ask the old guy who game me these, he literally has shoe boxes full of old currency like this. I don't ask to be paid with his old money, he just tosses one my way every time I do something for him.
When I try and refuse he insist and says it is for doing a good job, showing up quickly, you earned it, ect. He won't take no for an answer.
Have always treated him fairly and I think he is just lonely, he has become a friend now that I have spoken and worked for him so many times. Very interesting individual.
CaptMax

·
Registered
7,253 Posts
...carried one for 15-yrs...

Had a 'new' 1934 issue $100.00 'United States Note' that I kept in my wallet for over 15-yrs. Had to pay a PO shipper with it and the desk jockey would not hold it for me so I could redeem it. Believe the one you have is later...1939(?). I'd like to buy that one if you are going to sell it....or an earlier 'horse-blanket' $100.00 if you have one....LMK.

·
Malim Praedari
384 Posts
The Hawaii overprint money dates from WW2 when it was feared that the japanese were going to invade the islands. The idea was that the notes would be unusable on the mainland if the invaders got ahold of the money. My dad had a bill that he carried around for years after the war

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
The Hawaii overprint money dates from WW2 when it was feared that the japanese were going to invade the islands. The idea was that the notes would be unusable on the mainland if the invaders got ahold of the money. My dad had a bill that he carried around for years after the war
My mother had a few ones and 5's with the Hawaii overprint got them from one of her brothers when they passed through on their way to combat in the Pacific. Somewhere I have some Philippine occupation paper money.

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
Those Federal Reserve -National Currency- notes from the various Federal Reserve banks are fascinating. I've never seen bills like that before, or the "horse blankets". There is quite a bit of collector US currency on ebay but much of it is "Buy it Now" with pricing that is anybody's guess.

Very cool, thanks for sharing the high resolution pictures. They're fun to check out zoomed in to see all the little details.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts