1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been searching for any good .303 fmjs to fire out of my bren and seems no matter where I look I cannot find anything! Dare I ever look at the dreaded gunbroker sight and see 1 box of 20 rounds wanting to sell for $65 bucks for ppu. These are painful times to finally get a semi auto bren 馃様 I would try reloading but people want $1 per empty brass these days too. Hindsight is 20/20 but I was too young to get anything anyway before the prices shot up and never came down

Registered
Look at
Sgammo.com
I bought some ppu 54r for my pkm, and maxim and they were cheaper than rtgparts.com
Boxes of 15 but not in the fancy boxes of 20 like ppu normally sells for on a store shelf!

Premium Member
There is no more good surplus 303 Brit.
If you coughed up the money for a Bren Gun, just buy good ammo. PPU makes wonderful 150gr FMJ or 174gr FMJ. You wouldn鈥檛 buy a Ferrari and put 2 stroke gas in it. Sure it will run, but it will smoke and sputter and corrode and misfire and run like garbage. Just like our current surplus ammo.

Premium Member
I have been searching for any good .303 fmjs to fire out of my bren and seems no matter where I look I cannot find anything! Dare I ever look at the dreaded gunbroker sight and see 1 box of 20 rounds wanting to sell for $65 bucks for ppu. These are painful times to finally get a semi auto bren 馃様 I would try reloading but people want $1 per empty brass these days too. Hindsight is 20/20 but I was too young to get anything anyway before the prices shot up and never came down
$1 for .303 brass? I have HXP and PPU brass I鈥檒l sell for .50cents!
And as was said, buy good ammo. You鈥檙e not going to shoot it often, and life鈥檚 too short to have range time ruined by bad ammo.

Registered
There is no more good surplus 303 Brit.
If you coughed up the money for a Bren Gun, just buy good ammo. PPU makes wonderful 150gr FMJ or 174gr FMJ. You wouldn鈥檛 buy a Ferrari and put 2 stroke gas in it. Sure it will run, but it will smoke and sputter and corrode and misfire and run like garbage. Just like our current surplus ammo.
Or better yet, rechamber it in .308 and be done with it. .303 is NEVER coming back. Reload it yourself or get out of that caliber.

Registered
Where is all the .303? Its an obsolete caliber, hasnt been produced in any real numbers since the 60's. Dont be upset though, 8MM is next. There will always be small commercial lots, but during times of panic the large ammo manufactures are going to focus on modern, higer demand ammo. When in doubt, look to PPU.

Premium Member
I have been chasing 303 myself because I never stocked up on it. I only ever had the semi Vickers and an Enfield rifle then I built the Bren and like an idiot, I bought a FA Lewis which made perfect sense seeing that I only had 6000 rds. tucked back. I have been hunting for it for a while but I can't justify paying 2.00-3.00 a rd. for an MG. Hindsight can be a real PITA! I hope you have better luck finding than me.

Registered
Invest in some quality Dillon reloading equipment and never worry about it again.

Registered
The Wolf 303 won鈥檛 run in my Bren. Has anyone else had luck with it? It seems underpowered with weak cases. My guess is it was designed for the bolt guns and not automatics.

I鈥檒l have to try it in a Vickers at some point

Premium Member
The Wolf 303 won鈥檛 run in my Bren. Has anyone else had luck with it? It seems underpowered with weak cases. My guess is it was designed for the bolt guns and not automatics.

I bought 20K rounds of it, and have about 8k left. Bren, Lewis, and Vickers all eat it up without issue.

Registered
Convert your BREN to 8mm and/or .308 to make your life easier. Conversion is straightforward and simple.

Here is my BREN converted to .308 at one of Keith Allison's shoots.

Registered
Good luck waiting on more Wolf 303, it is manufactured in Russia.
Now the Serb's are not too happy about the west, so PPU may not be around for much longer either.

I have 4 MG's in 303, glad I bought a lot when it was around.
Lugging those heavy cases at Knob Creek turns out to have been worth the effort.

Registered
I only owned one rifle in 303. It was an enfield. I sold it because there was no ammo available for it. I would love is someone did a production run of 10 million to 100 million rounds of the stuff. I always wanted a semi auto Bren gun.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Look at
Sgammo.com
I bought some ppu 54r for my pkm, and maxim and they were cheaper than rtgparts.com
Boxes of 15 but not in the fancy boxes of 20 like ppu normally sells for on a store shelf!
Sg ammo used to have good deals now they are the same as everyone else
$1 for .303 brass? I have HXP and PPU brass I鈥檒l sell for .50cents!
And as was said, buy good ammo. You鈥檙e not going to shoot it often, and life鈥檚 too short to have range time ruined by bad ammo.
I might take ya up on that i managed to score 200 count 303 bullet heads at at a gun shop for $30 bucks. Ppu 174grain fmgbt bullets heads that now need some brass

1 - 20 of 42 Posts