1919 A4 Forums banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
That’s interesting that some folks have good luck with the Wolf. I only bought 1k rounds of it so I haven’t spent much time diagnosing it or even trying it.

My gun came with a bunch of brass and I lucked out and got 10k or so cheap projos from the Canadian ammo demil

“Convert your BREN to 8mm and/or .308”

I have it converted to 308. The curved mags, followers, and 308 case don’t play all that well together. The presentation angle is wrong since the mags were built for different case dimensions

I end up with quite a few malfs. Did you do anything different to your mags to improve this? I keep thinking about doing the light milling required to be able to use the straight mags which should help with feeding

·
Registered
445 Posts
I used a ton of 308 bullets and tracers for my brens back in the old days. Bullets were almost free and I had a ton of 303 bren blanks with wood bullets. I pulled the bullets, dumped the powder, sized the necks, recharged with 4895 and a pulled 308 diameter bullet. The ammo worked great and very reliably. Accuracy was amazing considering we were shooting a machinegun. Tracers only burned out to about 1000 yds but that is US spec.

The point of all this is that you can use readily available components to load. 311 bullets can be tough to find but as someone else noted, 308 will be around a bit longer. Internet gurus will tell you that the 3 thousandth difference in bullet diameters will create tumbling inaccurate ammo but reality proves it isn't the case. I have friends who load 308 dia bullets for their 303 brit enfields for matches with excellent results. It opens up a much larger source of bullets too.

Privi partizan makes reloadable brass and you can find it at Graf and Sons. They are an importer. I got a lot of 7.5X55 Swiss brass from them and a friend bought a couple thousand pieces of 303 brass. Stuff is out there but you need to look in the right place and be willing to work a bit.

Frank

·
Premium Member
2,354 Posts
I have a pile of WWII production 303 Mk7 originally bought for use in a BREN. But given the high rate of split case necks, I only fire it in my SMLEs. It's Burden primed, so I couldn't reload it anyway.

·
Premium Member
305 Posts
I used a ton of 308 bullets and tracers for my brens back in the old days. Bullets were almost free and I had a ton of 303 bren blanks with wood bullets. I pulled the bullets, dumped the powder, sized the necks, recharged with 4895 and a pulled 308 diameter bullet. The ammo worked great and very reliably. Accuracy was amazing considering we were shooting a machinegun. Tracers only burned out to about 1000 yds but that is US spec.

The point of all this is that you can use readily available components to load. 311 bullets can be tough to find but as someone else noted, 308 will be around a bit longer. Internet gurus will tell you that the 3 thousandth difference in bullet diameters will create tumbling inaccurate ammo but reality proves it isn't the case. I have friends who load 308 dia bullets for their 303 brit enfields for matches with excellent results. It opens up a much larger source of bullets too.

Privi partizan makes reloadable brass and you can find it at Graf and Sons. They are an importer. I got a lot of 7.5X55 Swiss brass from them and a friend bought a couple thousand pieces of 303 brass. Stuff is out there but you need to look in the right place and be willing to work a bit.

Frank

·
Registered
445 Posts
The cordite is not the problem usually, its the primers. . .

We ran a bunch of the Wolf steel case 303 in a friends bren and vickers and they worked perfectly. The ammo seemed to be pretty consistent to me with both guns running very steadily. Using the old brit ammo they kind of sped up and slowed down as they went.

Frank

·
Registered
467 Posts
My experience the issue with the Wolf 303 steel case was the neck movement depending one the barrel. We shot a tons in a friend of Vickers no issue ran all of it perfect. In my Vickers and after trying a couple barrels I could not get a combination that worked, The ammo is overall good ammo but on all of my barrels the chamber had the neck of the case moving to much that I got seperation. I would say 1 out of 50. Yes we played with shims and the head space but no luck. It just seemed some barrels chambers were a little tighter and then it ran great. I am sure the same thing would apply for Lewis or Brens.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I have posted 10,000 rounds of Greek HXP, Non-corrosive, boxer primed .303 on the Misc. Ad Board. I’m definitely willing to break up the lot but I am not interested in trying to ship this. obviously, I would prefer a single deal.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have been searching for any good .303 fmjs to fire out of my bren and seems no matter where I look I cannot find anything! Dare I ever look at the dreaded gunbroker sight and see 1 box of 20 rounds wanting to sell for $65 bucks for ppu. These are painful times to finally get a semi auto bren 😔 I would try reloading but people want $1 per empty brass these days too. Hindsight is 20/20 but I was too young to get anything anyway before the prices shot up and never came down
i HAVE A CASE BUT all corrosive & got them when it was plentiful & cheap. These are a "just in case" case.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
I have decided to bring a sealed metal container still in its wooden case (with the lid) of 303 to the SAR show.
Its 788 rounds of Mark7 ball dated 1964, made by P.O.F.
We are going to put down a pallet, half with assorted ammo, the other half with cases of HDR rations.
That is where this case of 303 will be.
I haven't decided on a price yet!
I just had time today to sort some things here at the house, and that brown wood case stood out!
Has another label with "Safety Six Cartridges" on the side?

Richard

21 - 40 of 44 Posts