1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Firstly, this weapon is not mine and I do not know the seller!

I just stumbled upon this convertible M37 over on Sturm: http://www.sturmgewehr.com/forums/i...que-ramo-m37-watercooledaircooled-form-3-20k/

It's a convertible air cooled/water cooled, dual feed, M37 with swappable trunnions/front ends. Ain't that interesting?

And I quote 'The trunnions can be swapped for either assembly to shoot the gun air or water cooled, unique for the browning 30cal gun.'

·
Registered
604 Posts
The gun is as stated, convertible. As for the builder, I will need to inquire as off the top of my head I cannot recall. This came in a large collection and we got a lot of information on a lot of guns the day we purchased the collection.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
I don't know who built the gun, but I built the jacket.. This is the one and only full sized jacket I ever made for the M37.. Early on I made up 2 with my 1st economy jackets with the 4" dia. tube before I got going on the full sized stuff...Lou

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Convertible yes easily convertible no. Maybe it should just say it is a water cooled M37 with a spare trunnion and an air cooled barrel and shroud.
I think Lucky or toolman knows the builder.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Convertible yes easily convertible no. Maybe it should just say it is a water cooled M37 with a spare trunnion and an air cooled barrel and shroud.
I think Lucky or toolman knows the builder.
Trunnion swap takes less than 20min. The trunnion is not riveted in like a standard M37.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If one wanted to construct a convertible Browning, why not build a pseudo MG38 whereby the water jacket, or air cooled barrel shroud, is screwed simply into the trunnion? That construction model would make the trunnion attachment permanent and what I would prefer. But, I guess to each his own.

From http://browningmgs.com/Images_1919A4/Brownings.htm

Colt MG38 on M37 tripod. The same receiver as the Model 1928, but the water jacket is threaded inside the trunnion. This is another finely made peacetime weapon.

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,239 Posts
I know who the previous owner is, from whom Jared acquired the gun. Can't be certain, but it is likely that the gentleman- who is a member here but not around often- built it himself. He may have farmed out the receiver assembly, but he was fully capable of doing that himself. He is a fine machinist, among other things. I've got a piece or two with the swap-able trunnion set up, an idea from ohioblacksheep himself.

Now Dan's suggestion of a thread-on jacket, a la MG38, is exactly what the original OBS jackets had, so the idea has been executed recently. The interest in that simply fell off when Lou started making the mil spec jackets, that's all. The system on this transferable is perfectly workable, as Jared says. Very easy to switch from air to water cooled, or the reverse. The hard work comes in matching the trunnions both up to the same feedway profiles of the side plates, as part of the initial build.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I spoke with my client and he told me he acquired the gun some years ago as a working M37. He later changed it over to the configuration it is in today. So the original "builder" is unknown, however the work performed is TOP notch, very UNIQUE, and quite SAFE.

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,239 Posts
I spoke with my client and he told me he acquired the gun some years ago as a working M37. He later changed it over to the configuration it is in today. So the original "builder" is unknown, however the work performed is TOP notch, very UNIQUE, and quite SAFE.
I will vouch for the safety quotient. I have fired one of my WWI receivers, with the "bolt in" trunnion, many rounds in both full and semi auto. No reason to consider this system anything but perfectly secure.

·
Registered
695 Posts
If one wanted to construct a convertible Browning, why not build a pseudo MG38 whereby the water jacket, or air cooled barrel shroud, is screwed simply into the trunnion? That construction model would make the trunnion attachment permanent and what I would prefer. But, I guess to each his own.

Colt MG38 on M37 tripod. The same receiver as the Model 1928, but the water jacket is threaded inside the trunnion. This is another finely made peacetime weapon.
I don't see why this wouldn't work as long as you "time" the threads to meet the trunnion on both the barrel shroud and the water-cooled jacket. I'd be willing to try it if I can find a trunnion to work with.

Steamer

·
Registered
312 Posts
1917-1919-m37

Unique for sure. Never say you have seen it all. However I fail to see the real advantage. My 1917 is two pounds heavier without water, than my 1919 . The 1917 is a more accurate weapon due to the additional weight ( with water ) and the tolerances of the barrel's support design so my 1919 spends most of it's life as a backup gun or in the safe. One time at the Sandy the 1917's extractor came apart right after the start signal so I jumped over to my 1919. What a surprise that was. The 1919 flails all over the place compared to the 1917.
The 1919 must run no matter what,as a result the standard clearance between the barrel and the booster cone is about .020. A bb in a box car.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Steamer,

Timeing the the jacket backplate to the trunnion is WAY more Tricky than what you think!!! Been there , Done that !!!! Plus it will NOT be a One Size fits all... The trunnion thread sizes are all over the place ...Lou

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
MG34_Dan,

The Other Snag with just screwing a water jacket to an A4 trunnion is the barrel bore.. Its 1.250 in. and there is a hole in the bottem of the trunion.. The WC barrel shank is 1.125...You need to put a water tight liner into the A4 trunnion to get things to work... To be able to "Simply" do Anything to theses things does Not come into play..:lol::lol: ...Lou

·
Watercooled Addict
2,148 Posts

Not to deviate from the original post too much, but the colt mg38 pictured here did not have a removable waterjacket, or any more removable than any other browning before it. The gun above just has the improved steel endcap and trunnion cap that threads over the outside of the waterjacket instead of into it. They were still soldered on and just as permanent as before. Probably more so because they werent soldering dissimilar metals. Its just like a mg52 50 cal or a vickers waterjacket, but its not quick change like the m2 50 guns are.

·
Registered
695 Posts
If I were to make one up it would be a one off as I assumed it would be difficult to make one to fit any trunnion.:eek:

And Lou, I didn't say it would hold water like the great ones you make. :worship: Mine would be just for looks and if you put water into the jacket it would leak like a sieve. LOL :rofl:

I retrack my offer to try if it has to hold water :rofl::rofl:

Steamer

·
Premium Member
6,947 Posts
If I were to make one up it would be a one off as I assumed it would be difficult to make one to fit any trunnion.:eek:

And Lou, I didn't say it would hold water like the great ones you make. :worship: Mine would be just for looks and if you put water into the jacket it would leak like a sieve. LOL :rofl:

I retrack my offer to try if it has to hold water :rofl::rofl:

Steamer
Sounds like Al Pacino in my cousin Vinny lol Does it hold water?

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Steamer,

The Snag I have is if I work on something my Brain says it HAS to work Well or Shoot Well.. Something else I think folks overlook on projects like this is the small parts.. You go through all the big work and THEN find out the little stuff is MORE time consumeing.. The front sight is the 1st thing that comes to mind to me.... Don't get me wrong, if you Enjoy a Good Project, it all can be done.. Lou

1 - 19 of 19 Posts