1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

So far I've determined it's chambered in 30-06. It has no markings, is blued, has the recess for the wax covered string(not sure what to call it), and has odd steps instead of being contoured at an angle. The seller didn't know much about it. Anyone have any ideas? The barrel lock spring cuts look almost identical to one of my -06 1919a4 barrels.

·
Premium Member
1,302 Posts
A recent GB purchase??

I bid on if its the same one.....lack of description made me stop.

Same seller has an anm2 30 cal. FA for sale as well as 1919 also FA.

There were several 303 bbl's. Bunch of anm2 bbls and the unknown ones.

My guess was Argentine or the other one thats Dutch or whatever..Klutztpriger:help: or somethin.

·
Premium Member
3,288 Posts
Might it be a 1919 barrel turned down to work in the 1917? Lou Murtha did one for me that looks sort of similar.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Might it be a 1919 barrel turned down to work in the 1917? Lou Murtha did one for me that looks sort of similar.
That is a possibility and I see how it would be easier to turn the barrel down in step instead of trying to figure out how to contour it at an angle. But why would someone blue a turned down 1919 barrel? I feel like parkerizing would be the way to go if this is in fact not a factory product.

And yes I recently grabbed this off gb.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
That is a possibility and I see how it would be easier to turn the barrel down in step instead of trying to figure out how to contour it at an angle. But why would someone blue a turned down 1919 barrel? I feel like parkerizing would be the way to go if this is in fact not a factory product.

And yes I recently grabbed this off gb.
Other option possibly .Aircraft .30 cal barrel But that does not explain the ring with the packing material. It is probably a M1917 possibly an early one. Parkerizing was not always used on all gun parts. Someplace I have an M1919A4 barrel that was blued.

·
Registered
7,250 Posts
...agree..

Most likely for a 1917 or 1917A1. Barrel should be 24" in length. There were several mods made thru the years. I use 'O' rings on my 1917's instead of the asbestos string. Lucky might step in here for a better description or correct our perceptions.

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
Howzaabout a closeup of the muzzle and chamber end so we can see the notches and ring

·
Premium Member
1,302 Posts
Will it screw into a 1919 bbl ext. ?

As in is the thread pitch correct?

IIRC....anm2 is smaller diameter @ the threads.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Will it screw into a 1919 bbl ext. ?

As in is the thread pitch correct?

IIRC....anm2 is smaller diameter @ the threads.
Yes the thread pitch is correct for a 1919 barrel extension. I have a couple anm2 barrels as well and can see the difference.

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,239 Posts
Did I hear someone call my name? Len, was that you? :lol:

Little doubt in my mind that it is an A4 barrel turned down. I've never seen any aftermarket barrels with the USGI type locking notches. Don't think it's Lou's work, but any decent machinist with a lathe could do that job. There are some blued barrels out there, now and then, and this may have started out that way. But if turned downed it's been refinished so the question of finish is relatively moot.

The ANM2 barrels do, occasionally, get advertised as 1917 barrels, but they are not interchangeable. ANM2 barrels have no packing groove, a smaller rear bearing diameter and- as pointed out above- smaller diameter thread.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts