1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the spring in question. Pretty large coil type compression spring. I had one place say “hey no problem but you need to order at least 50.”
BAEE7517-26CE-49E8-8BA6-CBC2F95EAC67.jpeg

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
No problem,Mike. Get the dia. of the coil wire,ID and OD of coils and order a proper length from McMaster-Carr in Chicago. I ordered 2-springs for 1914 Hotchkiss and just cut it to proper length...works great.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
If you are going to go to the trouble, let us know a cost and we can probably up the order by a few to lower the per item cost- I would be in for one or two unless expensive. I do have one spare here now.

·
Premium Member
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No problem,Mike. Get the dia. of the coil wire,ID and OD of coils and order a proper length from McMaster-Carr in Chicago. I ordered 2-springs for 1914 Hotchkiss and just cut it to proper length...works great.
len, outstanding. I didn’t even think about McMaster Carr. I have their catalog right here.
Brian, if I have them reproduced I’ll let you know.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I'll second mcmaster carr generic spring replacements. It is very seldom that you need an exact spring to make things work right. There is usually a range of rates that will function safely. So using the coil diameter and count and wire diameter you should get something functional. If you do feel you need an exact copy or if you want something made from different material like chrome-silicon there are a number of good companies out there but as you noted, they don't want to make one spring. We've been using a company in Columbus Ohio called Springworks to make springs for the Cetme model L and they are excellent to deal with. I don't know what their minimum is but the owner is very knowledgeable and the quality of the products is excellent.

Frank

·
Premium Member
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I got on McMaster Carr last night and ordered 2 springs for $9.50. They had the exact spring in stock. It comes over length, but I will trim it to fit. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
(...great big smile...) I always check with McMaster-Carr and never been disappointed yet. I get over-night service,as I'm only 100-miles east and I've bought almost all the hardware for my 1917 carts in bulk boxes and wood kegs. Anyone remember when bulk nut/bolts/.washers came in wood kegs...LOL...? WTG,Mike...

·
Premium Member
5,454 Posts
Well, I got on McMaster Carr last night and ordered 2 springs for $9.50. They had the exact spring in stock. It comes over length, but I will trim it to fit. Thanks guys.
Mike Century spring is another one to add to your list they have a huge selection and short of having a dedicated run made it is a great source when you just need one or two.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts