1919 A4 Forums banner

Who Needs A .308 Conversion For Their 1918 Belt Loader?

8K views 30 replies 12 participants last post by  warty 
#1 ·
Ohio Ordinance has been saying for months that they will have the .308 conversion available "soon". They have been telling me this for 3 months. Now they are saying they cannot give any ETA on when they'll have them. They also said last week that they will be now $150 whenever they have them ready. I am tired of waiting.

Let's get a list together of people that would purchase a .308 conversion for their 1918 Belt Loader, and try to get someone like John McGuire to make a batch of them for us. Who's in?

Also, does anyone have a ORIGINAL CONDITION OOW .308 conversion for their 1918 Belt Loader that they would let John McGuire (or whoever is willing) borrow to copy it?

EDIT: THE OHIO ORDINANCE WORKS .308 CONVERSION IS A KNOWN GOOD CONVERSION. I AM PROPOSING WE COPY THE OOW CONVERSION EXACTLY, FROM A CONVERSION UNIT THAT SOMEONE CURRENTLY HAS.

#2 ·
I would be interested in quoting a price for parts. Anyone willing to lend a sample?

If I recall correctly, it is simply a spacer for the feed tree of ammunition and a longer push arm for seating the round. Can't be that difficult to make. I have two loaders laying around to inspect and design from. I'd rather not reinvent the wheel if someone is willing to lend parts out, however.

Michael

#6 ·
me too

Im in for one!

#7 ·
.308 conversion....

Have several .308 cartridge pushers (#32) or 'slide' described in manual. Will sell them for $45 + $5 HIS. As an alternative,have an 'original" OOW .308 conversion set up that I would be willing to lend anyone who wishes to make a quanity for our site members. I have already had the steel cut to length and have over 75 pcs. ready to machine....but don't have a mill to do so. Was also going to do the 30/06 slide. Anyone interested in doing this?? Call,my dime,(800) 380-4867 and lets get this done.....

#10 ·
If its the OOW spec copy......I'm in for one set.
Adios
TiredIron

#12 ·
.308 conversion specs....

Wow....! Did not expect such a response. A good point was raised about the OOW .308 pusher....the thread size for the connection screw. Their's had a 10x24 shoulder screw(.375 shoulder) while the original M1918 30/06 cartridge pusher was a 12x24 shoulder screw. The pieces I had made were made for the 10x24 screw....I am now in the process of drilling and tapping them to 12x24 thread. Its an added step but should be done to allow use of the original hardware. Another thought is if the feed guide adaptor is really needed. I guess so,as OOW would not have made it if it wasn't necessary. I have been contacted by someone who may wish to do this project....he is a member on this site and his work is above reproach. Did not ask him for his assistance at first because he also has many other things going on. Stay tuned...we may get this done soon....

#14 ·
Len (or anyone)

Why would OOW use the wrong thread on their .308 pusher? If it's the wrong thread pattern, how do you get it to work on the 1918 belt loader? Do they provide a 10x24 screw as well? Is there any problems to install the original OOW .308 conversion? Does it need modification to fit properly?

#15 ·
....hardware on the belt loader...

OK,Strat.....time for some history on the M1918 loader. When the original was produced during/after WWI,the hardware was uaually 12x24 and 10x24 threads...usually a shoulder screw w/different lengths on the shoulders for a bearing surface. 60 years later,this type hardware was not being used...in fact,they are now obsolete. The only commenly used shoulder screws are usually 10x24 or 1/4x20 for this size material. OOW used a common size,10x24 in an allen head cap screw for their .308 slide (cartridge pusher) to keep the cost down. I've tried to find slotted shoulder screws....McMaster-Carr...and they want $3.75-$5 EACH. I've been making the 12x24 shoulder screws from 1/4x20 screws on a lathe and a grinder for the 30/06 slide on the loaders I'm restoring. Making 10x24 shoulder screws for the .308 slide and including an already attached connection arm for the $45+$5 shipping price. A lot less work than drilling/tapping to the 12x24 original,as I had wanted to do. By the way, Strat....since you have a 1928 Colt....take the slide off and put in on your M1918. Should interchange easily and actually work,as the machines are the same internally. Let me know how it works.....Len

#21 ·
57Strat said:
Question to anyone that has the OOW .308 conversion unit:

Is the OOW .308 conversion unit a direct drop-in conversion that requires no additional parts or modifications to any component?
Strat....Yes....it is a 'drop in' conversion. You do have to unscrew the 30/06slide/pusher from the connection arm and screw it to the .308 one. I have simplified this by including a screw and another connection arm so it is a really simple swap....just disconnect 30/06 arm from the eccentric and replace with the .308 without doing anything else.

#22 ·
L999here said:
Strat....Yes....it is a 'drop in' conversion. You do have to unscrew the 30/06slide/pusher from the connection arm and screw it to the .308 one. I have simplified this by including a screw and another connection arm so it is a really simple swap....just disconnect 30/06 arm from the eccentric and replace with the .308 without doing anything else.

Len, I am just trying to confirm that if I copy the OOW conversion exactly as shipped from OOW, that it will:

a) require no further modifications of any parts to install it?

b) contain all parts required to complete the .308 conversion allowing one to immediately begin loading .308 w/o issue?

I want to make sure that what I provide to people that have signed up to purchase the OOW spec conversion, is everything they need, and is installable without any issues. I have never actually seen an OOW spec conversion, hence all the questions. If someone could posts some pics of their OOW unit (including all parts), that would be great.

Basing on information in this thread, the inventory of parts included in the OOW conversion is listed below. Is this correct?

1 .308 pusher
1 screw
1 .308 feed chute adapter

#23 ·
Strat...Yes....you are correct. The three (3) pieces are considered a 'unit' and constitute a conversion set. Again,I considered drilling/tapping and useing the same screw on the OOW slide/pusher. But after doing a couple, decided to just get the 10x24 screw and another connection arm. Don't have to worry about any lost pieces and it is truly a 'drop in' set up....

#25 ·
I contacted John McGuire and he was not interested in making them. I'm not really sure why except he vaguely mentioned that the price would have to be pretty high.

I spoke with Mark at Black Bear last week and he said he had ONE extra .308 conversion unit, which I begged him to sell to me. After a few minutes of me groveling, he reluctantly agreed to sell it to me. :D

#26 ·
I recieved some material from Len as well as his OOW conversion. The pushers themselves should be available later this month, the part that adapts the feed guide to the loader in the new position for the .308 round is the part that will take some additional work due to its design, but I should have some of those also. Len will be the one to deal with on these, I am just going to do the machine work for him, Brian.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.