1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
3,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started the semi mods on my BREN kit today. I took the bolt ramp to a machine shop an hour from my house. All I needed was a 1" slot cut thru this thing. Well the machinist (who was highly reccomended) acted like I was aking him to retro engineer a fawkin alien UFO. I took it home and tried my hand with a endmill bit in my drill press and just made a mess of things. Couldnt line up my consecutive holes....

Sooooo, out came the Dremel with a cutoff wheel. 20 minutes later I had the pass cut. Yeah, its a little sloppy and the part may take a lil more fitting, but I did it. This was just the test piece. The real parts kit comes next week and Ill have it perfected.

· Registered
2,141 Posts
yes ive said many times its amazing the things we can do with a dremel or a rotozip....

you do know they will outlaw these soon right??

· Registered
322 Posts
I am stunned and amazed at what my lil ol dremel can do.

I made a mount for my lathe that allows me to mount it in the milling stand, or I can lock it into the chuck as shown in the pic.

You can get very very very good cuts, as good as milling with a little bit of practice. Take your time. Remember that that the wheel wears down so you have to compensate, and you can cut anything.

Those fiber wheels work best, but the heavy ones, like the one in the picture hold up pretty good.

· Mouse Machine Works
1,681 Posts
Word is Obama is gonna ban everything that can be used in building a firearm.
It's true look it up.....

· Registered
1,187 Posts
I started the semi mods on my BREN kit today. I took the bolt ramp to a machine shop an hour from my house. All I needed was a 1" slot cut through this thing. Well the machinist (who was highly recommended) acted like I was asking him to retro engineer a fawkin alien UFO. I took it home and tried my hand with a endmill bit in my drill press and just made a mess of things. Couldn't line up my consecutive holes.
I know what you mean. The fellow may have been a good machinist for normal work but he cannot think outside of the box. Anytime a person you need to do work for you starts out like that back up and give it some more thought.

· Watercooled Addict
1,975 Posts

· Registered
2,141 Posts
yeah Rocco im stocking up on thoe new wheels as they cut like a MOTHER!!!

oh, only the "uppity" gunsmiths say that: A gunsmith's best friend is a customer with a dermel tool

thts the same ones who say homebuilders have no place in the gun community...

· Registered
410 Posts
I did a nice job on my Bren with my Dremmel. It took about 90-100 man hours of careful shaping and removal of excess material, and I was able to get the inside rails to allow the bolt/carrier to slide smoothly, even though I had about 0.008" of longitudinal deflection overall from the heat of welding. I was happy to be able to keep all of the original markings intact on the receiver, and the sucker runs great.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.