1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't understand it. The price for cheapo Ruskie 7.62X39 is approaching twenty cents per round and approaching that of cheapo 9mm. The price is almost half of what 7.62X57R is selling for. At the twenty cent per round price point, a conversion setup makes sense to me. The only downside I can see are the links. But, who cares as long as they are reusable. I haven't seen any interest in this conversion setup even though it is already engineered, worked out, and available. What am I missing here?

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
My guess is not that many people shoot tons of ammo. It used to be cheap and easy but its not now and everyone is used to it. Or they are just lazy like me and the thought of keeping up with something else is nauseating. J

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
I am in the process of making a run of 12 conversions and 8 spare barrels.
I have plenty of links on hand and will have these done for Knob Creek.

4-5 of them are spoken for.
I don't have final costs yet but they will be around $550 delivered.

Troy

·
Registered
203 Posts
I have a conversion kit and just haven't had time to mess with it to see how it works. If I could figure out a linker, I may start messing with it more but the thought of loading links by hand has so far kept me from it.

·
Registered
203 Posts
As one in the not knowing category, what is the conversion? Other than obvious barrel. J
The bolt has some work done on the face and the stops have had a bunch of material added for the shorter case. The links are a plastic loop style and aren't hard to load by hand just very time consuming.

·
Registered
7,893 Posts
My theory/opinion has always been the lack of power in the 30 Russian round. Not that it is a wimp cartridge, but running it in a gun made for 30-06 caliber seems like a downsize conversion to a nice setup. 8MM and .308 were the first conversions, and the 54R is a '06 class round, but 7.62x39, .223, 9mm, or any other SMG or pistol round conversion just seems insulting and inadequate for the 1919 gun. I know - I know - bigger isn't always better, and the cost of ammo plays in. I'm just of the old school - I shoot 8MM [I got a whole bunch back at .08 cents a round] so it's still viable to stay large caliber. Even still, I think, like others, I would just shoot less and stay with the larger caliber - it's what the gun was designed for. :D

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
I am in the process of making a run of 12 conversions and 8 spare barrels.
I have plenty of links on hand and will have these done for Knob Creek.

4-5 of them are spoken for.
I don't have final costs yet but they will be around $550 delivered.

Troy
I hope that you have my name one 1 I have been wanting 1 for a while

·
Registered
7,893 Posts
If shooting X39 in a 1919 seems insulting and inadequate I don't know I should feel shooting my USGI .22lr conversion in the 1919. :eek:
Yeah - I know. I understand the reasoning. It's just hard for me to change it out to smaller. Like I said - old school.....or just old?? :rofl:

·
Registered
711 Posts
I think its the links that keep me nervous. What with my luck I'd get three shots on them and they would bust or break handling them. Don't remember what they look like anymore, have any pics of them? I think they were 3 cents a link back then. Now if you figure you buy a link per round you shoot, so add 30.00 per to the current price per 1000 of ammo say 240 plus 30.00 is 270.00 per 1000 is great. Until you figure in the convince of the loader vs 308. If there was a quick loader which bumps up the speed and convince of loading the links then you really have something there. You have to consider the conversion plus at least 20,000 links to get in the game of the conversion. I think that is my take on it. But things change and its getting more attractive due to cost of recent ammo trend. I would have thought that riffle caliber wolf prices should have come down, but they never did right? Once my 308 depletes I might be interested.
If you sent me an email I have you down for 1

Troy

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
I think its the links that keep me nervous. What with my luck I'd get three shots on them and they would bust or break handling them. Don't remember what they look like anymore, have any pics of them? I think they were 3 cents a link back then. Now if you figure you buy a link per round you shoot, so add 30.00 per to the current price per 1000 of ammo say 240 plus 30.00 is 270.00 per 1000 is great. Until you figure in the convince of the loader vs 308. If there was a quick loader which bumps up the speed and convince of loading the links then you really have something there. You have to consider the conversion plus at least 20,000 links to get in the game of the conversion. I think that is my take on it. But things change and its getting more attractive due to cost of recent ammo trend. I would have thought that riffle caliber wolf prices should have come down, but they never did right? Once my 308 depletes I might be interested.
The links are 0.20 each. They are glass filled nylon and last over and over. Once in a while 1 might get chewed up, such is the way of a beltfed.

I have been making this conversion for over 10 years. The cyclic rate is about the same as 308 but doesn't buck as hard.
You do not need a linker to load these. They are a little tight the first time then easy to load after that. Only real drawback to the links is you cannot swing a 200 rd belt around, and the conversion needs the ammo can close to the feedway.
I have vids of the conversion running. I'll get them uploaded later.

Here's a pic of the links:

Gun accessory Ammunition Ammunition belt Bullet Screw

·
Registered
312 Posts
7.62 x39 conversion

I heard some talk about 7.62x39 conversions some time back but it kind of went away. The gun has seen several cheaper ammo conversions as the years went by but most of them had one thing in common. Case head size required little or no bolt refiguring. The 7.62x39 case head is considerably smaller than say the original 30-06 &.308 so the biggest thing I see is the bolt issue. The extractor could also be a difficult one to solve. The other issues are much easier to deal with. As for me I reload all my .308 at about $.22 a piece so I have not gotten serious about that kind of conversion. I'm sure someone will solve all these issues eventually. Interesting project though.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Link Loader for 7.62x39

If there is any interest in a link loading plate, all our plates started as a custom over the past 20 years. Not a problem if anyone wants a plate. The first one of course we need a dozen links for measurement (returned with the plate) and about 2 weeks to complete. Current price is $164.75 delivered. I'm on vacation? until mid September while I clean up other orders and take it easy. For more information http://beltfedplus.com/linkloaders/m7linkloaders.html

Regards,
Tom

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
I heard some talk about 7.62x39 conversions some time back but it kind of went away. The gun has seen several cheaper ammo conversions as the years went by but most of them had one thing in common. Case head size required little or no bolt refiguring. The 7.62x39 case head is considerably smaller than say the original 30-06 &.308 so the biggest thing I see is the bolt issue. The extractor could also be a difficult one to solve. The other issues are much easier to deal with. As for me I reload all my .308 at about $.22 a piece so I have not gotten serious about that kind of conversion. I'm sure someone will solve all these issues eventually. Interesting project though.

There is NOTHING to solve, it is not experimental nor is it a "project". I have made about 30 of these over the years.
It is featured in Dolf's 3rd book on the Browning's along with the 54R conversion.
The bolt is reconfigured for the smaller case head, you use a stock extractor (new works best).
There is a new front cart guide, special booster with a reduced power drive spring and a barrel contoured just slightly under an A6.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The links are 0.20 each. They are glass filled nylon and last over and over. Once in a while 1 might get chewed up, such is the way of a beltfed.
I have been making this conversion for over 10 years. The cyclic rate is about the same as 308 but doesn't buck as hard.
You do not need a linker to load these. They are a little tight the first time then easy to load after that. Only real drawback to the links is you cannot swing a 200 rd belt around, and the conversion needs the ammo can close to the feedway.
I have vids of the conversion running. I'll get them uploaded later.
Here's a pic of the links:
View attachment 17730
The link loaded ammo looks very similar to my shallow link loaded 7.62 NATO when running through a Browning equipped with a 30.06 right rear cartridge stop. The key is to make sure the spent links clear that long cartridge stop and not jam up in the feed way. See below. Notice the long cartridge stop. Any thoughts about using cloth belts?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts