1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
THE GRAND MOVIE THEATRE, Lafayette, Louisiana (The Grand 16 - Lafayette, 3141 Johnston Street, Lafayette, LA 70503, Information: 337-210-1631 | Movie Line: 888- 943-4567)

(Along with shouting "FIRE") "OUR THEATRE PROHIBITS:
• Possession of firearms or weapons of any kind regardless of whether openly orconcealed, (sic) with or without a permit
• Violence, intimidation, or physically threatening behavior
• Unlawful conduct or activity"

Carry On!
Gary
><>

·
Registered
7,026 Posts
....always

...and folks really ask me why I carry a .45 every day. Our theaters here are the same way...but their signs do not have the 'force of law'. Many folks carry every day in these places...and no one says anything. Believe IN is one of only 10-states that have not had a school or movie shooting. Hope it stays like that ,too.

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
shooter

This guy is starting to sound like a liberals wet dream, almost too good to be true for them. I wonder if he just got tired of some idiot on a cell phone!

·
Registered
787 Posts
Lafayette LA is hurting

Wow. I would hope no one would call the theater during this time. The city is hurting and in shock. There will a time and place to recommend changes and voice your opinion but now is not the time. It's bad enough that Westboro baptist church is rumored to protest at the funerals of the two slain women. One of the women was the mother of a fellow band student in my daughters high school band. The poor girl found out durning band camp. The same woman is the wife of an acquaintance of mine.

Gary I have the utmost respect for you as a member of this board. You have contributed a lot to this community. I just ask that everyone have a little restraintduring this time. The healing will take some time, longer than the media circus will be around.

I have been to this theater many times as well as my daughter and her friends. While we are not a stranger to crime in this city but this one does not make any sense.

Sincerely,
Wally

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
While my original comment post maybe should have been posted in "Political Flames" rather than "Open Talk' I believe "corporate think" affects society negatively, in general.

From their website:
"Southern Theatres, LLC., owned and operated by George Solomon, was formed in May of 2002. Solomon has been in the theatre business with his family for over 50 years and launched Southern Theatres, LLC. to develop and operate state-of-the art multiplex stadium-seating movie theatres. In April 2005, Veronis Suhler Stevenson (VSS) made a $30 million equity investment in Southern Theatres, LLC. VSS is a private equity and mezzanine capital fund management company dedicated to investing in media, communications and information industries in North America and Europe.Southern Theatres. LLC, is the eighth largest theatre circuit in The United States and is currently responsible for the daily operations of The Grand Theatres, Amstar Cinemas, The Theatres at Canal Place and oversight of operations for Movie Tavern. The company operates 40 locations with 4Southern Theatres, LLC52 screens in Alabama, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Texas and Virginia. Southern Theatres, LLC. is well positioned for continued expansion in key markets throughout the United States. Southern Theatres, LLC. is proud to be headquartered in New Orleans, LA."

Their "THEATRES PROHIBIT
• Outside food or drink
• Smoking including e-cigarettes
• Possession of firearms or weapons of any kind regardless of whether openly orconcealed, with or without a permit
• Disruptive or disorderly conduct
Examples: shouting, screaming, noisy or boisterous activities, loud music, throwing objects, running, skating, “Heelys”, skateboarding, rollerblading, cycling, interfering with the free flow of pedestrian traffic, and any conduct that reasonably could be construed as interfering with or interrupting another’s right to enjoy the movie-going experience
• Phone calls, texting, or emailing during the film
• Photographing, videotaping, or otherwise recording the film
• Inappropriate and offensive attire
• Violence, intimidation, or physically threatening behavior
• Unlawful conduct or activity
• Open containers of any alcoholic beverage except in areas specifically designated for the consumption of alcohol
• Loitering, lingering, delaying, and blocking storefronts and fire exits
• Littering
• Backpacks and other large bags
• Defacing, damaging, or destroying any property belonging to The Grand Theatres or any of its employees
• Picketing, distributing handbills, soliciting, and petitioning unless with prior written consent of The Grand Theatres management, which may be withheld within the theatre’s sole discretion."

While I have no sympathy for the perpetrator of this type of crime or the corporate think which permits them, I have great sympathy for the victims and their families. One way to help prevent these atrocious acts is to educate the public and the companies permitting such to happen by their corporate misguided proposal of "Gun Free Zones," with little or no subsequent protection offered their patrons, and thus incurring their liability for these acts.

Should you wish to make contact to voice an opinion directly, one can do so at their corporate headquarters:
SOUTHERN THEATRES, LLC
305 BARONNE ST, SUITE 900
NEW ORLEANS, LA 70112
TEL: 504.297.1133
FAX: 504.297.1138

·
Registered
7,837 Posts
OK well...........

Not to argue a point, but would it not be better to screen everyone for weapons at the door like in schools or airports, etc.? Or would it be better to arm 99 civilians and have them all open fire on one perp in a dark theater, and risk a cross fire amongst the defenders and possible further injury or death? I'm all for concealed carry but a large handful of untrained or lightly trained individuals with weapons does not seem to me to be the best defense of this kind of tragedy and mass shooting.

This is a perplexing situation to be sure - kinda like the wild wild west of the late 1800's. The solution at that time was to disarm everyone in town. I suspect if we were able to do the same thing now in day and age, there would be very little need for concealed or open carry - at least not to the extent we need right now..........I am really sick and tired of turning on the news and hearing about another stupid shooting. What the h e double toothpicks is wrong with people these days??? You don't like or aren't happy with your own life and need to use a firearm, then just off yourself and be done with it. Why take innocent people with you!:mad:

Rant over - Monday morning stress. On the good note - my 7th grandson was born at 6:04 AM this morning. :)

·
Registered
5,117 Posts
Deterrent value must be weighed. These cowards are suicidal but too cowardly to face an immediate threat so they go for soft targets. There is no difference between a jihadist with a suicide vest. These people's goals are the same, hurt as many defenseless innocents as possible before suicide by cop. The only way to deter is armed citizens. If everyone screened then the shooters would simply start shooting in the que before getting to the screening.
One sad thing to consider is the assumption that even gun owners will assume the worst, that their will be an audience full of drinking, cross eyed, half wits, armed to the teeth looking for an excuse to engage in a gun battle. Or force everyone who desires a CCW permit to undergo rigorous police range training....(insert NYPD stories and others of officers hitting btstanders because of heavy trigger pulls, or other stories of once co.bat begins panicking police officers dumping 96 or more rounds at a perp.)
The reality is while highly trained is nice it does not always translate to performance under duress. Also we would be enforcing a standard that puts us right back to square one...which is I do not trust anyone else with my security...and we have seen the results of a disarmed public. Lets try the responsible citizen path instead of assuming that drunk cross eyed Billy Joe's daddy married his sister is the one showing up as the proposed do gooder instead of the historical good Samaritan who has shown up.

Reactions: rugman59

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
shooters

As with all the other mass shootings committed within the last ten years this guys was on mind altering drugs, plus he had been committed and had a restraining order, so he should never been able to legally buy a gun, so much for the liberal all powerful back ground checks.

·
Registered
7,837 Posts
Deterrent value must be weighed. These cowards are suicidal but too cowardly to face an immediate threat so they go for soft targets. There is no difference between a jihadist with a suicide vest. These people's goals are the same, hurt as many defenseless innocents as possible before suicide by cop. The only way to deter is armed citizens. If everyone screened then the shooters would simply start shooting in the que before getting to the screening.
Deterrent would soon become “just another challenge” if your way of thinking is correct. No more – no less. Mentally unstable perps are not in the same category as jihadists or terrorists. Their ultimate goal is not to kill all Americans. However, they certainly have some issues that would preclude them from possessing a firearm.
Are you suggesting that 10 armed citizens walking guard around a recruiting center or movie theater would stop a drive by shooting attempt – or even worse?? Not to mention all the others prospects that fall into “soft target” categories here in the U.S. Would you suggest that 65,000 football fans fill a stadium with 9mm, 40S&W, or 45ACP handguns wrapped around their waists? It just does not seem like an appropriate solution. At least there people are screened and there have been no recent atrocities AFAIK.

One sad thing to consider is the assumption that even gun owners will assume the worst, that their will be an audience full of drinking, cross eyed, half wits, armed to the teeth looking for an excuse to engage in a gun battle. Or force everyone who desires a CCW permit to undergo rigorous police range training....(insert NYPD stories and others of officers hitting btstanders because of heavy trigger pulls, or other stories of once co.bat begins panicking police officers dumping 96 or more rounds at a perp.)
I certainly did not mention “drinking cross-eyed half wits” anything, and I certainly did not assume every movie theater would be filled with such armed to the teeth would be even a possibility. Contrarily, I would expect most to be very well intended. However, people panic when gunshots and screaming fill the dark room. It is my understanding police officers are trained to keep shooting until the threat is down – period. They do not shoot to wound someone. Plus, most of them aren’t marksmen with a firearm, and actually don’t prefer to ever draw the “tool from the tool crib” so to speak.

The reality is while highly trained is nice it does not always translate to performance under duress.
Exactly. Now factor in 99 untrained citizens in the same situation…….

Also we would be enforcing a standard that puts us right back to square one...which is I do not trust anyone else with my security...and we have seen the results of a disarmed public. Lets try the responsible citizen path instead of assuming that drunk cross eyed Billy Joe's daddy married his sister is the one showing up as the proposed do gooder instead of the historical good Samaritan who has shown up.
I still say if criminals and irresponsible deadbeats didn’t have access to firearms an armed public would not be as necessary as you seem to think it is. No one took guns away in the old west days - you were just restricted on carrying them in towns and cities. Thus came the "tip of the hat" greeting and the "shaking hands" greeting - to show you were unarmed and meant no harm.

I’m not advocating turning in my guns by any means, and nor should law abiding citizens even be asked to. I like to protect myself and my family. [at one time in my lifetime that meant being able to fist fight with the best of them – not be the quickest with a tire iron, baseball bat, or deadly weapon of any kind] But – alas, those days have escaped us – for now. How about we find a way to get them back????

You closed again with the
drunk cross eyed Billy Joe's daddy married his sister is the one showing up as the proposed do gooder
slant on things. I find that interesting that you feel so strongly that everyone else looks at this the same as you. Rest assured – I am not one of those you are categorizing. I have enjoyed our conversations on the phone, and consider your opinions very highly.

Please don't take my comments in any bad manner whatsoever GSG - we just see this a little different right now. I blame it on being raised in different times and problems in our society. :)

·
Registered
7,837 Posts
As with all the other mass shootings committed within the last ten years this guys was on mind altering drugs, plus he had been committed and had a restraining order, so he should never been able to legally buy a gun, so much for the liberal all powerful back ground checks.
Yeah. apparently the info was never transferred from state facilities to the NICS database. Now there is a surprise. Almost as hard to ADD stuff as it is to DELETE stuff in a legal timely manner. :D

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
mass shootings

The libs are constantly giving out numbers of mass shootings,I wonder how many of those are gangbangers killing their own scum?

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
The guy was committed because he was, presumably, nuts and dangerous. Was he shown to be "fixed" prior to release? I doubt it- they just released another nutcase. Gun or no gun, this guy should have been locked up until recovered. Now, let's talk about violent criminals who are out in society...

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
Two people (white female) were killed in a movie theatre that banned carry, the (white male) shooter committed suicide. Body count numbers three by my math and all white by simple attention to detail.

This body count is chump change to the media the Chicago Trib, a liberal cesspool of deviant and moral apostates, buries this non-news of three human beings on pg. 4-12 no news here move on.

·
Shoutbox Messer Upper
2,300 Posts
Wow. I would hope no one would call the theater during this time. The city is hurting and in shock. There will a time and place to recommend changes and voice your opinion but now is not the time. It's bad enough that Westboro baptist church is rumored to protest at the funerals of the two slain women. One of the women was the mother of a fellow band student in my daughters high school band. The poor girl found out durning band camp. The same woman is the wife of an acquaintance of mine.

Sincerely,
Wally
I saw a blurb on the news where Guv. Jindal signed an executive order banning protesters around the funerals.
CooT

1 - 14 of 14 Posts