1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My father inlaw has a 1919 semi that he purchased from Ohio Rapid Fire and it will not run. The weapon will fire two rounds and eject them fine but it will not feed in anymore. I can hand cyle an entire belt with out issue. But when firing it will not feed. Ive set head space over and over again with no positive results. The correct links ar ebeing used as welll, this is a 308 izzy.

·
Registered
2,873 Posts
When you set an load the gun , you have one round in the barrel ( first shot ) and one under the extractor ( 2nd shot ) . The gun loads the third and after shots.
Your hand working the bolt with no problems is supporting this , the gun itself is not feeding itself correctly.
Is the first gun round ( third shot ) under the extractor or no ? If under , belt is feeding over , if not , belt isn't ( feed pawls spring too strong or feed pawl arm not moving right . Some guns just perfer which way the lins go . If using belt , do you have a trunion protector ? Combo may be too tight .)
If under extractor , could be worn/weak extractor spring or feedway spacer is not compatable with the ammo ( over all length allowing ammo groove to move too far forward to be caught by extractor ) . The greater speed of live fire may not allow a weak spring to grab .
Chris

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When you set an load the gun , you have one round in the barrel ( first shot ) and one under the extractor ( 2nd shot ) . The gun loads the third and after shots.
Your hand working the bolt with no problems is supporting this , the gun itself is not feeding itself correctly.
Is the first gun round ( third shot ) under the extractor or no ? If under , belt is feeding over , if not , belt isn't ( feed pawls spring too strong or feed pawl arm not moving right . Some guns just perfer which way the lins go . If using belt , do you have a trunion protector ? Combo may be too tight .)
If under extractor , could be worn/weak extractor spring or feedway spacer is not compatable with the ammo ( over all length allowing ammo groove to move too far forward to be caught by extractor ) . The greater speed of live fire may not allow a weak spring to grab .
Chris
Exactly, the rouinds arent beeing fed at all. The belt does not move after firing. The first two rounds only fire due to what you just explained. Ill have to go through the other parts, just wanted clarification. Thank you.

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
Push down on the feed pawl . Bet the spring's too strong .
Chris

I think you mean the belt holding pawl? That's a good place to start, clip off a coil or two to start or you can replace the existing spring with a Century Spring C-500. For some reason the Izzys seem to have used a stronger spring than the USG.I

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
Also check to see if the ammo's overall length may be too short for the extractor claw to get a positive grip on the rim of the round. Some time's the cartridge has just enough back and forth 'slop' to let the claw slide behind the rim and push the round forward, instead of grabbing it.
Very common with commercial ammo.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
2nd the opinion of making sure your using the right links. Is the small (front) loop tapered or the flat like the big loop just smaller diameter?
Also if your running a trunnion protector throw it away. Or at least try running it without it installed.
GW

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you for the tips gents, when I gwt back to cali Ill check out his 1919, and now I know what to look out for mine.

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,236 Posts
George is right on the question of trunnion protectors. On most guns, in my experience, they are a good thing. But some guns just don't like that extra thickness in the feedway height, and simply will not run well with a protector installed. Always something to be aware of when testing a new gun.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts