1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have the prints for the taper front wooden ammo boxes used on the 1917 or 1917a1???

I would like to build some and need dims from the print.

Steamer

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
I believe you are looking for the drawing for the Chest Ammunition Belt originally dated Feb 4, 1918 Drawing 49-1-84 (class 49, division 1, drawing 84). I use to have it in my files on the computer but unfortunately I have changed computers several times and have lost it. I am sure someone on this site has it and if not Gatekeeper can probably help.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Well I found an old CD that I had the picture of the drawing stored on and tried to upload it but the system won't let me. Possibly because it is a pdf file. It goes through the motions to upload but nothing happens..

·
Registered
7,253 Posts
If you cannot find prints of the wood ammo box,I could send you an original box. Had a local professional wood worker make 13-boxes from an original in white oak,the original material. Getting the hinges and latch hardware was the most difficult part. LMK....

·
Registered
7,893 Posts
Steamer I have an older zip file showing dimensions of the box. I can email it to you if desired. Contact me with an email address if interested.

brass.....

·
Premium Member
6,956 Posts
Jeff Prater at Iron Creations had the hinges and latches for these.

·
Registered
7,893 Posts
Jeff Prater at Iron Creations had the hinges and latches for these.
Yeah - some time ago I had also planned on making some boxes and Jeff had started the ball rolling on getting hinges made. It just took longer than I anticipated, and I kind of put that project on the back burner. It's still back there somewhere. Funny I just recently ran across on box I had completely disassembled for measuring and studying way back then - it was very dusty. :)

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
sure will Brass. Looking for the right tree. LOL
Got to find a few latches and hinges, I think I can make up the Leather handles ok.
Steamer

·
Premium Member
6,956 Posts
Steamer Amish Bob had the handles made and had them at the creek if that helps. I bought a couple from him and they were 10.00 IIRC. Jeff Prater was th only one to my knowledge that ever made the latches and hinges other than the boxes IMA had made in India.

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
Well , I have two sets of Jeff's latch / catch / hinge sets that I bought for a project I never did . I'd sell them , but I have no idea what I payed for them .
Feel free to make me an offer I can't refuse :rofl:
Chris

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sure did, sent PM
They arrived on Excellent condition.
Now I have to build a couple boxes. They will go with my 1917.

Steamer

·
Shoutbox Messer Upper
2,308 Posts
after looking at the plans,.. All I need is a 1/4" dovetail/fingerjoint jig,.. I have a 1/2", but I think that would be cheating,

Who sells them?

I got everything else, I can worry about hardware later.

·
Registered
7,893 Posts
I'd probably go with a square box joint....easy to make your own jig for that. The one box I disassembled had box joints and not dovetails.....not sure if they all had that though...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts