1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
You may not need the feed block. It might only require removing the leaf spring in the front of the feedway. I adapted my Swiss MG11 feedblock to 8mm by removing the leaf spring and making up a similar part to take up the very small distance between the feedblock body and the proper length of the standard 8mm round.

Frank

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
You may not need the feed block. It might only require removing the leaf spring in the front of the feedway. I adapted my Swiss MG11 feedblock to 8mm by removing the leaf spring and making up a similar part to take up the very small distance between the feedblock body and the proper length of the standard 8mm round.

Frank
I got time today to get into the vault and have a look. No luck. With the spring removed an 8mm doesn't fit. Also, an MG08 feed block is at least 1/8' too long to fit in the World Standard.
Wood Gas Metal Auto part Nickel

·
Registered
381 Posts
If you're talking about the 1895 Argy guns most of them were updated in 1909 to the new style action. I always thought the 1899 guns were the world standards....

Not that any of that matters. Not sure what to tell you. I don't have one of those guns but it may be possible to mill the front slots a little deeper in the 08 feedblock so it would fit...don't know if that would work or not. You can't move it back at all so no cutting the rear side. Feedblocks are no longer cheap so it may not be a reasonable thing to do. Maybe a 308 conversion would be a better idea?

Frank

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you're talking about the 1895 Argy guns most of them were updated in 1909 to the new style action. I always thought the 1899 guns were the world standards....

Not that any of that matters. Not sure what to tell you. I don't have one of those guns but it may be possible to mill the front slots a little deeper in the 08 feedblock so it would fit...don't know if that would work or not. You can't move it back at all so no cutting the rear side. Feedblocks are no longer cheap so it may not be a reasonable thing to do. Maybe a 308 conversion would be a better idea?

Frank
I guess it depends on who you ask what it’s called ?

I have no plans to convert it, I was just wondering if it was a straight forward conversion. That gun and mount weigh more than my PM1910 w/mount. It’s been shot once by me and may never be carried out of the basement and taken to the range again while I own it.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That is much better than museum grade !
Thanks. I really prefer MGs that have past with military use, but the originality of an original "Maxim" makes this a keeper. I can't imagine there are many MGs older than this 1895 in the registry. I'll have to check in the book again but think there were only 6 of the first 50 that were imported.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Had three of these guns, but only two now. One is a Nordenfelt example, #99, which has #99 fusee cover date 1892 with matching tripod. Other is 1898 dated DWM, #90. Had twenty-five Maxims for a while but down to less than twenty now. Beautiful guns!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts