1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an semi auto build going on. Yeah, very slowly.....

It is a 308 version. I recently aquired a 30-06 barrel, barrel spring and a booster that I was told was all I would need to make the conversion to 30-06.

I want to keep it as a "converatble" so I can go either way.

The 30-06 booster was purchased from a well known provider of 1919A4 parts and was sold as a "30-06 booster".

I measured the hole and it is .53" which would make it a .308 booster. The one in the parts kit I got from OOW is also .53"....as it should be.

Two questions:

1) can I just drill out the hole to .71" to make a 308 into a 30-06 booster?

2) will the recoil be too intense if I use a 308 booster on a 30-06 barrel?

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Drill/bore to .718, leaving it as is could wreak your gun. .718 booster may work for .308 as well, mine does.

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
The ideal solution is to use a two piece booster/bearing all you have to swap out is the plug. The plug band doesn't have to be staked just use a little Locktite blue. The Izzy plugs are usually marked 13.5 along with a few Hebrew letters that apparently are the abbreviation for mm. The bonus here is the two piece are lots easier to clean than the one piece. The one piece was developed to save production time, tooling and material during WWII.

If you want to read a little about boosters try http://m1919tech.com/23255.html

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
I have an semi auto build going on. Yeah, very slowly.....

It is a 308 version. I recently aquired a 30-06 barrel, barrel spring and a booster that I was told was all I would need to make the conversion to 30-06.

I want to keep it as a "converatble" so I can go either way.

The 30-06 booster was purchased from a well known provider of 1919A4 parts and was sold as a "30-06 booster".

I measured the hole and it is .53" which would make it a .308 booster. The one in the parts kit I got from OOW is also .53"....as it should be.

Two questions:

1) can I just drill out the hole to .71" to make a 308 into a 30-06 booster?

2) will the recoil be too intense if I use a 308 booster on a 30-06 barrel?
I think you will also need a 7.62mm bolt as well as the rim of the 7.52 cartridge is thicker. The 7.62mm feed cover is also different but I think the 30-06 will work. You will also have to change out the front and rear cartridge stops.

SORRY I was reading your post backwards but I believe the same things apply to changing from 7.62mm to .30-06. Same parts need to be changed. Your gun may already have a .30 cal feed cover. I have been told the 7.62 bolts will work with .30 cal but some people have had a problem with that. Cartridge stops will also be different.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you want to read a little about boosters try http://m1919tech.com/23255.html
Very Looooong read, but well worth it if you are a history buff like me.

Bottom line is that the .718 booster will work with both 30-06 and a .308 but with the 308 the rate of fire will be reduced. On a semi, it wont make any difference. So I will just drill out the single piece 308 booster to .718 and be done with it.

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
Very Looooong read, but well worth it if you are a history buff like me.

Bottom line is that the .718 booster will work with both 30-06 and a .308 but with the 308 the rate of fire will be reduced. On a semi, it wont make any difference. So I will just drill out the single piece 308 booster to .718 and be done with it.[/QUOTE

It is a looooong read, and it was a loooooooooooooong write with a bunch of help.

As the fly on the mirror said "There's more than one way to look at it"

1 - 8 of 8 Posts