1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a base/ legs set for my spare cradle assembly. The legs have to lock positively and be a shooter grade, so its fine if the brass azimuth ring is missing. I'm looking to spend 300-325 plus shipping. If you have the data plate and azimuth ring and its in solid condition I'll go more. Thanks, Aaron

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,236 Posts
Thanks but I was looking for the tripod without the cradle. I appreciate it though.
Hate to say it, but that's a tall order. Even the last such lowers that OOW was selling went for more than you are hoping to pay. Hope you get lucky on this. Legs can be had, but the socket is money and I don't know where you find what you are looking for at that price. That would be a giveaway. But I do wish you success.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The value of what I'm looking for is on mark from my experience. I'm looking for a good shooter grade pod missing the brass ring that is scratched and has rust but the still locks well.
A near perfect US mount with data plate and leather is $1200-1500 . My value deduction.

A rearsenaled Greek mount without data plate and ripped leather and legs don't teeth well when tightened and overall rougher shape, up to better condition; My value is between 900- 1200.

The cradle is the most expensive portion. My value on a good cradle is right around 700, 1000 for all the brass goodies and clean sharp markings and perfect matching condition and smooth operating.

The pod is the least expensive portion and many times unused from a vehicle mount set up. There are more unused pods than cradles. You probably know someone that doesn't use one of their pods.
The pod in perfect condition with data plate and nice leather buckle is worth 500. Without brass azimuth ring 300 or less. Without only a data plate 375 and without leather strap and data plate 325.
Now call it a rough pod missing a few or all of those and still locks up fairly good and usable to shoot off. $300 is not under valued and on mark for what I'm looking for. But these are my value deductions.

This season 1917a1 pods were scare at knob creek. in April there there was only about a hand full of complete 1917a1 mounts and two tripod/legs set (this is what you are mentioning) 450 with brass ring the other I saw was 425.
Last year both season there were an abundance of complete and scratch and dent tripods of which many cradles where serviceable. My buddy picked one up for $700. without a brass ring. Two years ago at the creek there were only a handful of 1917a1 pods to be had and the year before that there was a cube truck full of them. I'm just looking for a fair deal on a pod set.

But I would be curious to hear your value break down on the 1917a1 ground mounts if they differ from mine. But I agree you just have to put it out there and with a little luck something might come out of it, or not this time. And thanks for the grace of luck.
Hate to say it, but that's a tall order. Even the last such lowers that OOW was selling went for more than you are hoping to pay. Hope you get lucky on this. Legs can be had, but the socket is money and I don't know where you find what you are looking for at that price. That would be a giveaway. But I do wish you success.

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,236 Posts
Aaron, that's a thoughtful and well reasoned breakdown. I might have some input when I can go over it and think about where I believe these are at, and going from here. Yes, you have the recent cycle of the past few Creeks down pat. The fact is, we got spoiled by the large inventory OOW had for all these years. At first, they were about $1000 and you could get a hand picked one for $1200. That usually meant more Bronze components and maybe better overall condition. OOW was extremely fair in pricing the last batch, mostly the "scratch and dent" ones that remained in the end. And then there were nothing but the lowers, and the last of those went out at SAR last December, plus what you mentioned last April. But the retail/wholesale supplier is out for good. That means upward pressure on what becomes available over the future. Mostly, we are going to see the occasional small vendor or private party with these, popping up on occasion. Like the price of kits, these things will begin to go up. I wish you luck in your search. It's out there somewhere.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts