1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is going to be an odd request. I'm looking to buy a belt holding paw that is wide enough to support .308 cartridge but still fits in the 30-06 plate. The trunnion has the relief cut to accepts a .308 feed paw but the opening in the piece riveted to the side plate is only wide enough for the 30-06 paw. I'm told somebody made a "adapter paw" that basically was a .308 paw that that the one side cut down to fit in the slot for the 30-06.

Anybody have one they are willing to sell or know where I can get one?

thanks,

[email protected]

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Sounds like someone put a 30-06 LHSP on an Izzy trunnion or at least riveted a 30-06 LHBHPB36GTX09756Whatever to an Izzy LHSP. J Pawl Pawl

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Sounds like a solution looking for a problem.

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
You need to cut and dress (not as in some transgender tutu sort of thing) the side plate and go with a Izzy 7.62 pawl it will run both US .30 cal and 7.62

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,239 Posts
I think the suggestion above is that you may not need to do what you are looking for. Now we are assuming here that your gun is already built. If not, you would do well to see about trading your USGI LSP (desireable) to someone for an already Izzified one. You could get a bit of extra cash with the trade, and make someone who wants that USGI LSP for a correct build.

Now, if indeed your gun is already assembled with said mismatched parts, then before you try changing anything, just see about running the gun in 308 with the USGI belt holding pawl. What you may find is that you are indeed trying to solve a non existent problem. Several of us have easily run 308 with all 30-06 feed parts. As suggested, pics would help so we can see for certain what you have.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Plus one on what Lucky said. I have two F/A .30 cal guns. One with a .308 pawl and one with a 30-06 pawl. I have never noticed one whip of a difference regardless of caliber in which ever gun. J

·
Registered
215 Posts
Plus one on what Lucky said. I have two F/A .30 cal guns. One with a .308 pawl and one with a 30-06 pawl. I have never noticed one whip of a difference regardless of caliber in which ever gun. J
That's what yo get when yo try to improve perfection. If it ain't broke leave it be.J.R.

·
BeltFed GURU
4,433 Posts
Yes i do most of my finest work with a Foredom flexible shaft tool with speed controller and diamond tooling . Do not even mess with grit/ fiber cutoff wheels and i do not suggest a Dremel because of the gyroscopic effect of them ,it causes problems :( which a heavy duty flex shaft does not . It is why fine jewelry is done with flexishaft tools !!!

And i am a Master of using the inappropriate tool for a job :tongue: !

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,239 Posts
Without getting into the battle of appropriate tooling, lol, I think these gentleman are on the right track. I'd modify the Izzy holding pawl to fit. That trunnion is NOT Izzy modified, as they used a round end mill. The milling pattern on your trunnion is different, and may well have been done for the pawl style you describe in the OP. I have one pawl that might be correct for that, but it's part of my reference collection, and is slightly damaged. You should be able to work with that Izzy pawl and get what you need, without modifying the gun or anything of great value.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the feedback, sounds like modified .308 paws are not exactly floating around out there.

I have tried running it as is with linked .308 and it does not want to feed more than 3 rounds. The failure mode is that it fails to strip a round from the belt, and I'm assuming its because the belt is moving around too much and getting cocked because the 30-06 paw barely engages the wide part of the case. It does however run just fine on the cloth belts in .308, I'm guessing because the cloth is just enough more material to firm it up and not move around as much to get cocked.

I understand I can just cut down the .308 paw to fit. I had heard a rumor that somebody had already cut down, or manufactured, a bunch of paws modifying them for this purpose and I'm trying to see if anybody has one they want to sell so I can avoid the hassle of modifying it myself because I don't have access to a lot of machining equipment.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Sounds to me like you need to buy another gun that's already slick and save that one for winter chores. That way you can have one for reference in case you forget something. J

1 - 14 of 14 Posts