1919 A4 Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
PSA just had new linked LC 4:1 ball /tracer for $2.99/rd & free shipping. I did not need it but got a few cans.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
If you go to the creek, check with Don and Chris, used to be around tables A 5ish (if wrong sorry, best guess) if I remember right handle "Just Don" on this site. Chris handles a lot of reloading stuff and understands the bigger stuff.
Creek closed last two times. I miss going. Granted I'm normally there just Thursday and driving home on Friday and Saturday. Planning on the next one if possible.

Stay Safe

Later 42rocker

·
11,663 Posts
I see all these places offering to process your 9mm/223 brass for you for pretty cheap. Anyone know of a place that will process 50 BMG for not too much $$$?

·
Registered
757 Posts
If you can't afford a Dillon press or an RCBS press, the LEE press will work just fine.

MrKubota that's on the site loads 50 BMG with the LEE. He actually uses multiple LEE presses set up so that he doesn't have to swap dies. He's loaded thousands of rounds on his presses.

He's made minor changes to his so that the weak points are no longer an issue. If you have any questions regarding the LEE, I would PM him and ask. Might save you thousands of dollars for a press that might not get used much.

I use an RCBS Ammomaster II to reload on, great press to use. If you don't know, the Hornady LnL press is the same press. The only difference in the two us the LnL feature!

The other reason for using a full size press is the dies. LEE uses smaller than industry dies for loading 50 BMG. There are certain dies that you can buy for full size presses that you can't get for the LEE.

Not a big deal if you don't shoot matches but some people still like to use custom dies outside of being a match shooter. If you want/need a 50 BMG case guage (best) go to Hamilton & Son's Firearms website. They sell Geo AZ's old design (passed away) plus some of his other tools.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
MG08. Thanks for the info, but that is just more than I want to spend per round. Just snagged 47 rounds of 1944 LC tracer off GB for $2.66 with shipping. Can't figure out how I got that past everyone.

If you go to the creek, check with Don and Chris, used to be around tables A 5ish (if wrong sorry, best guess) if I remember right handle "Just Don" on this site. Chris handles a lot of reloading stuff and understands the bigger stuff.
Creek closed last two times. I miss going. Granted I'm normally there just Thursday and driving home on Friday and Saturday. Planning on the next one if possible.

Stay Safe

Later 42rocker
I miss it too. I go Friday and Saturday only as I don't have anyone to get me in on Thursday.

50 shooter, Thanks for the info.

Steve

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Shipping is the *****. a 50 cal can of linked 50 runs $40 or so to ship. tracer is HAZMAT, must go ground, unless they sneak it in the mail. It is a felony to get caught sending hazardous stuff through the mail though.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
The price of $2.66 included the shipping.

Also those of you who use a single stage press what powder drop or measure are you using. I would like to do it in one throw as I don't like the safety issues with multiple throws in powder drops.

Steve

·
Registered
757 Posts
I use the Hornady 50 BMG powder measure, it will throw up to 250 grs. of powder in one throw. More than enough for loading up .50 rounds.

Another good option is the Quick Measure. It's expensive but looks like it's more than capable of doing anything you need.

RCBS makes the Chargemaster electronic scale, one of the better scales on the market. Not cheap either but they are extremely accurate and quick.

All comes down to how much money you want to spend.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
I use the Hornady 50 powder measure as well I have electronic scales but find them problematic - static, slow and sometimes not as accurate as you would expect. If I had not gotten mine free with a bunch of reload stuff, I would not pay for one.....

·
Registered
132 Posts
Those are some amazingly high prices. I think I paid $275 for my Ammo master press setup and it came with the RCBS 50 cal dies and everything I needed to set the press up for 50 or the little stuff. Not long after that Lee started selling a fifty cal press for not much less. The Dillon stuff has always been expensive but its worth it if you need to produce lots of ammo. I've been cranking out 300 blackout on my XL650 for testing a new rifle setup. Can't buy the ammo anywhere but I can load up 100rds in 20 minutes or less.
I think if you're patient and it looks like you are than you can find a decent deal on a better press than the lee. On the other hand, if you want the lee its your choice. The real important part is the guy operating the equipment. Don't get complacent and check everything twice or more. Like others said, not many 50 cal accidents are non damaging.

Frank

·
Registered
869 Posts
I was into 50 cal earlier and like a dipshit got out. Had a lee 50 press before and had zero problems with it. Current lee press is fine but had a little trouble with the dies this go around. With the sizing die maxed out on adjustment I still couldn't get the brass to gauge correctly in a l.e. wilson case gauge. Wound up putting the shell holder on the surface grinder and taking .030 off to allow more off the case head to be resized. Have not had a chance to test yet but the brass gauges correctly now. Also, switched from imperial sizing wax to super lube. What a difference this made on the effort it takes to resize now. A kind member on this board gave me that tip.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts