1919 A4 Forums banner

WTB 50 BMG reloading press

4K views 30 replies 12 participants last post by  blake's guns 
#1 ·
Well as the title says I'm starting to think about reloading the 50 BMG, but don't want to spend a fortune. So I'm looking to see if any of you have a used press around that you are looking to get rid of? I have brass and projo's already so once I find a press all I'll need is powder and primers.

Steve

#4 ·
It is a good press ,a lot of match winning ammo has been done on it ! Only one tip about the press change out the handle bolt for a grade 5 or 8 bolt !! As far as case lube Imperial size wax ,some do well with lanolin in alcohol but imperial size wax is better ,a little goes a Long way and never stuck a case or resizing a slug !!

You can only use Lee dies in it because it is threaded 1 1/4"-12 so no one else`s dies will fit the press .

#5 ·
You may want to invest in a full length case gauge, a swaging tool for the primer pocket , and a case trimmer.
I size , de-prime , and trim on a Dillon , use a stand alone swaging tool, and a stand alone priming tool, a stand alone powder measurer , then seat and crimp on a Lee.

#7 ·
If you plan to shoot surplus projectiles you will also need a bullet resizing die. Do not trust surplus bullets that have been "resized" already. I have had more than one of those "resized" bullets have to get hammered back out of the resizing die as they would not pass through it. It would only take one to ruin your life.

#10 ·
I've been using the RCBS Ammomaster for many years and many thousands of rounds of 50 cal and larger stuff. I use it for the 20mm Solothurn as well and it has been an excellent press. The leverage is good and the spent primer dump setup is better than any I've seen on other presses. Not sure what they cost now but they're worth it. They take the normal 1 1/2" -12 dies and come with a bushing to allow you to use them with the 7/8-18 dies for everything else. I do use the press for sizing 338 lapua and other big stuff too and its much easier than the little rockchucker. No primers bouncing around on the floor either.

I've seen a number of the lee presses at gunshows and junk shops that have broken or worn out. If you're only doing a few rounds at a time they are probably great for the price. If you plan to do any serious loading though spend a little more and get a better press. You'll pay one way or the other. I've never regretted buying quality stuff but I've been pissed off more than once when I had to replace crap stuff.

Frank

#11 ·
What Frank said. You will never go wrong buying better quality gear, and it will save you from buying gear again. I borrowed a RCBS 50 press to learn on, and while it worked ok, I also got to use a Lee, and it was definitely not as good. Once I decided I was going to go in on reloading 50, My lovely wife bought me the dillon loader for a christmas present. NIGHT AND DAY different. I still use the RCBS to prime on, but If you are going to spend time and money getting a press, personally I would pass on the Lee unless it is free ( I should write poetry....) . Watch Craigs list, look at ebay and be a little patient. There are guys selling off stuff so keep an eye on the reloading sections on the various boards and post WTB strings . Good dies, and good process will help too. You will need some tools and gauges. I have some reloading process info I shamelessly stole off the internet I can email you if you PM me an email address.

Regards

Brian

#12 ·
What Frank said. You will never go wrong buying better quality gear, and it will save you from buying gear again. I borrowed a RCBS 50 press to learn on, and while it worked ok, I also got to use a Lee, and it was definitely not as good. Once I decided I was going to go in on reloading 50, My lovely wife bought me the dillon loader for a christmas present. NIGHT AND DAY different. I still use the RCBS to prime on, but If you are going to spend time and money getting a press, personally I would pass on the Lee unless it is free ( I should write poetry....) . Watch Craigs list, look at ebay and be a little patient. There are guys selling off stuff so keep an eye on the reloading sections on the various boards and post WTB strings . Good dies, and good process will help too. You will need some tools and gauges. I have some reloading process info I shamelessly stole off the internet I can email you if you PM me an email address.

Regards

Brian
Ha ha, Not a chance in hell my wife will buy me a dillon for christmas. Unlike her horses she considers all my guns and mv's a waste of money.

The price of the Lee loader is definitely appealing, but yes, their sturdiness can sometimes be an issue. Midway currently has them listed at $240.

Sent you a pm

Steve

#13 ·
Look reloading the 50 is easy. Little powder hammer things in and a BIG boom. No more problems.
Look if you are going to reload 50's then spend the time and get it right. You don't get a second chance normally with a 50. The weapon and you are on you the folks in the shooting lanes next to you, well.... Do it right. For everyone's sake.
Thank You ranting over.

Someday I'll finish getting the parts together to finish that pile of m3 parts and then I'll think about reloading.

Stay Safe

Later 42rocker

#14 ·
What does a RCBS 50 loader go for now? I think I got mine for around $200 used off ebay. As 42 rocker notes, 50 bmg is like playing with handgrenades. do it right - or don't do it. I will point out that trophy wife got the Dillon 50BMG loader for me when they were like $895 or so. those have really gone up too. None of this stuff is a bargain basement operation. My 1st wife was into horses, so I get it, but she at least understood we each had out "things" and I like to ride and herd the cows .... I guess you could suggest selling a nice furry 4 legger and use the proceeds to cover the loader cost -

#16 ·
42rocker.
Don't worry. I won't go off half cocked on this. I have loaded many thousands of rounds of other calibers and it will probably be another year before I actually reload my first 50 rounds. This will be done slow and methodical. Get lots of info, then double check the info, then process it all, then start the building up of my loading spec. I have already been reading all the 50 reloading threads for the last year or so too.

MG08.
Current RCBS 50 runs about $700, Hornady LNL 50 is about $840 and the dillon big 50 runs about $1500. That's what makes the Lee look so good at $240 with free shipping. A big part of the purchase decision factor is going to be how many 50 BMG rounds I think I will be reloading. The answer to that is probably hundreds or a few thousand unless someone leaves me their FA M2HB in their will, or I find a local range (within an hour's drive) to shoot my SA M2HB a lot.

Steve

#19 ·
outsider - Thanks for understanding my rank. Seems that you have a good reloading background and should do well with it. Problem is a lot of other folks just don't have your background and worry myself and others that share range space.
Good Luck with everything.
FYI was offer some 50 at under $2.50 a round. I believe current reload costs are around $1.50 rd.

Stay Safe

Later 42rocker

#20 ·
outsider - Thanks for understanding my rank. Seems that you have a good reloading background and should do well with it. Problem is a lot of other folks just don't have your background and worry myself and others that share range space.
Good Luck with everything.
FYI was offer some 50 at under $2.50 a round. I believe current reload costs are around $1.50 rd.

Stay Safe

Later 42rocker
Yea, I understand the over cautious stuff. I started thinking about it and I started buying pulled 50 projo's 3 years ago now, and just getting to the press/ equipment part.

When I can find surplus 50 for under $2.50 I buy it as I don't have a big stash yet, but also collecting the reload bits when I find them reasonable as well. Been watching gunbroker as well, but buyers there seem nuts with what they pay for 50. I can find it on ammo seek cheaper at dealers. Missed going to creek again this past spring as I had a stash of cash for reloading supplies and ammo.

Steve

#22 ·
If you go to the creek, check with Don and Chris, used to be around tables A 5ish (if wrong sorry, best guess) if I remember right handle "Just Don" on this site. Chris handles a lot of reloading stuff and understands the bigger stuff.
Creek closed last two times. I miss going. Granted I'm normally there just Thursday and driving home on Friday and Saturday. Planning on the next one if possible.

Stay Safe

Later 42rocker

#25 ·
MG08. Thanks for the info, but that is just more than I want to spend per round. Just snagged 47 rounds of 1944 LC tracer off GB for $2.66 with shipping. Can't figure out how I got that past everyone.

I miss it too. I go Friday and Saturday only as I don't have anyone to get me in on Thursday.

50 shooter, Thanks for the info.

Steve

#24 ·
If you can't afford a Dillon press or an RCBS press, the LEE press will work just fine.

MrKubota that's on the site loads 50 BMG with the LEE. He actually uses multiple LEE presses set up so that he doesn't have to swap dies. He's loaded thousands of rounds on his presses.

He's made minor changes to his so that the weak points are no longer an issue. If you have any questions regarding the LEE, I would PM him and ask. Might save you thousands of dollars for a press that might not get used much.

I use an RCBS Ammomaster II to reload on, great press to use. If you don't know, the Hornady LnL press is the same press. The only difference in the two us the LnL feature!

The other reason for using a full size press is the dies. LEE uses smaller than industry dies for loading 50 BMG. There are certain dies that you can buy for full size presses that you can't get for the LEE.

Not a big deal if you don't shoot matches but some people still like to use custom dies outside of being a match shooter. If you want/need a 50 BMG case guage (best) go to Hamilton & Son's Firearms website. They sell Geo AZ's old design (passed away) plus some of his other tools.

#27 ·
The price of $2.66 included the shipping.

Also those of you who use a single stage press what powder drop or measure are you using. I would like to do it in one throw as I don't like the safety issues with multiple throws in powder drops.

Steve

#28 ·
I use the Hornady 50 BMG powder measure, it will throw up to 250 grs. of powder in one throw. More than enough for loading up .50 rounds.

Another good option is the Quick Measure. It's expensive but looks like it's more than capable of doing anything you need.

RCBS makes the Chargemaster electronic scale, one of the better scales on the market. Not cheap either but they are extremely accurate and quick.

All comes down to how much money you want to spend.

#30 ·
Those are some amazingly high prices. I think I paid $275 for my Ammo master press setup and it came with the RCBS 50 cal dies and everything I needed to set the press up for 50 or the little stuff. Not long after that Lee started selling a fifty cal press for not much less. The Dillon stuff has always been expensive but its worth it if you need to produce lots of ammo. I've been cranking out 300 blackout on my XL650 for testing a new rifle setup. Can't buy the ammo anywhere but I can load up 100rds in 20 minutes or less.
I think if you're patient and it looks like you are than you can find a decent deal on a better press than the lee. On the other hand, if you want the lee its your choice. The real important part is the guy operating the equipment. Don't get complacent and check everything twice or more. Like others said, not many 50 cal accidents are non damaging.

Frank

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.