1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read about and seen pictures of how the Turkish military mounted a ZF 12 (Maxim) MG scope onto the left side of a Vickers.
I already have the mount plate for the long range/indirect fire dial sight that fits onto the left side of the Vickers receiver.

Does anyone make the ZF 12 adapter or know of one that is for sale?
It seems like a good way to use that MG optic.

·
Premium Member
3,289 Posts
Check w/ Dave at SARCO. I got one from him a few years ago. Here's a poor picture of the bracket and sight. I have an extra MG08 drum hanger for a Turk Vickers I'll sell at a reasonable price.

Gun Machine gun Airsoft gun Machine Air gun

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Check w/ Dave at SARCO. I got one from him a few years ago. Here's a poor picture of the bracket and sight. I have an extra MG08 drum hanger for a Turk Vickers I'll sell at a reasonable price.

View attachment 16744
Thanks for posting that OldSoldier, you have some of the nicest stuff.
I never even knew a ZF12 adapter existed, and to think I spent all that money on a dial sight. :rolleyes:
CaptMax

·
Premium Member
3,289 Posts
Thanks for posting that OldSoldier, you have some of the nicest stuff.
I never even knew a ZF12 adapter existed, and to think I spent all that money on a dial sight. :rolleyes:
CaptMax
You are most generous in your praise but I call a Daimler Ferret MKII "nice." ;-)

BTW, the ZF12 is for direct fire and the dial sight is for indirect fire.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
You are most generous in your praise but I call a Daimler Ferret MKII "nice." ;-)

BTW, the ZF12 is for direct fire and the dial sight is for indirect fire.
Thanks for the kind words as well, and yes I know the differences between the optics.
But now I need a ZF12 for my MG08. :rolleyes: I just didn't know I could use it for both guns is all. :eek:
CaptMax

·
Premium Member
3,289 Posts
I just didn't know I could use it for both guns is all. :eek:
CaptMax
Glad I could "learn you." There is a story connected with the phrase "learn you" - I humbly apologize for possibly hijacking this thread but here goes.....

My first experience as a straight-leg infantry platoon leader in the 1970s was not particularly rewarding. I will just leave it at that. I had no “real” platoon sergeant. All the leadership training at West Point did not fit what was happening.

My second platoon was a weapons platoon. I had a real platoon sergeant, Sergeant First Class Yuli. Sergeant Yuli had two PhDs—one in 81mm mortars and the other in leading soldiers. The first day I had the platoon he took me aside and told me, “I’m going to learn you to be a weapons platoon leader.” I recall being taken back and a bit of a wise guy saying, “Don’t you mean teach me?” Sergeant Yuli replied, “There is a difference between teaching and learning. You can teach something but the soldier may not learn. Learning is what you want and I‘m going to learn you.” He proceeded with what I would call today as an intense clinical education which was a mix of understanding the theory of the weapon system, hands-on practice with the 81mm mortar, and a heavy dose of soldier psychology. Sergeant Yuli educated me in the art and science of being a weapons platoon leader, but more than that he educated me on how to educate soldiers.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the great picture!
Now I am even more determined to get a bracket like that that for A204!

I Have e-mailed other sources about this adapter bracket, I just hope I can find one or a suitable substitute that does the same job.
The ZF 12 dovetail is also a bit smaller than the base fitted onto the M53 tripod, so that's another adapter!

Hey, does anyone have the instructions that show all the parts & tools that get packed into the Vickers/Lewis wood chest?

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Thanks for the great picture!
Now I am even more determined to get a bracket like that that for A204!

I Have e-mailed other sources about this adapter bracket, I just hope I can find one or a suitable substitute that does the same job.
The ZF 12 dovetail is also a bit smaller than the base fitted onto the M53 tripod, so that's another adapter!

Hey, does anyone have the instructions that show all the parts & tools that get packed into the Vickers/Lewis wood chest?
http://www.vickersmachinegun.org.uk/acc-spares.htm

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
The Vickers Machine gun site has a lot of neat info, but I never located any instruction for packing the parts & tools into that transit chest.
I know some spots are used with the Lewis and others are for the Vickers.
Somewhere the British are sure to have details of what was placed where.
Yes I thought you were speaking of the transit chest and not the spare arts chest. Sorry I can't help but I do know where the cleaning rod is stored if you need that info.:eek:
CaptMax

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes I thought you were speaking of the transit chest and not the spare arts chest. Sorry I can't help but I do know where the cleaning rod is stored if you need that info.:eek:
CaptMax
In one of my books I found a line drawing that showed the location for storing the cleaning rod.
After finally purchasing an original cleaning rod, that spot in the box is where I keep it.
For the Lewis I also know about the places for the stock, spare op rod and gas tube.
The lid has some curious compartments than have yet to reveal a purpose with either gun.

Another afternoon project was to modify an SG-43 two gun crate to haul either a Vickers or Lewis to the range (just by swapping the inserts).

Wood Air gun Wood

1 - 11 of 11 Posts