1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm looking for a BREN Mk 3 or 4 barrel. The Mk 3 barrel is shorter than the Mk 1 or 2 barrel. Here's what it looks like. PM me if you can help!
Auto part Tool Tool accessory

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
From what I have gleaned over the years, an actual MKIII barrel was an experimental 2 groove design that evolved from the early rifling experiments done with a 2 groove MkI. The 2 groove pattern apparently was used for the MKIII barrels. The picture from IMA is of a MkIV (or possibly MkV Since they were also the same as the MkIV with minor mods) barrel which is the only shorter barrel used with the Brens that I know of. I have some MkIV barrels, marked as such, made by the Brits and also some made by Ishapor Arsenal for the Indian Brens. The MKIII and MkIV guns were designed and built at about the same time in an effort to reduce weight.
Apex Arms had a MkIV barrel for sale a while back minus the flash-hider extension, gas regulator and handle assembly.
I've not come across a MKIII marked barrel, but there might be some in the US. Quite a few MkIV barrels were imported many years ago, so you might advertise for one of those.

Hope this helps........

·
Premium Member
3,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Bob. I've got a MK 3 receiver that might be built on. I thinking that I might also just shorten and lighten a MK 2 barrel. It won't be original but ...

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
MKIV barrels use a different front sight than the longer barrels, which is the only major difference. A couple of the Ishapor MkIV barrels are shortened MKI barrels with the stainless steel flash-hider moved back, probably enough to mimic the MkIV length. The MkI barrel muzzle was shortened and then turned down for the flash-hider section to sleeve over it. Looks kind of interesting.....

·
Premium Member
3,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I checked our warehouse, looks like we sold that last MK4 lightened barrel that we had.

Richard
Thanks for checking. Your site indicated they were not available so congratulations on a well managed inventory system. This is contrary to one of your competitors that is so poor in managing their inventory that they would find a large stash a few years from now. ;-) Thanks again for the effort.

·
Premium Member
3,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK, someone has got to have a shorty BREN barrel out there. I know that most of the BREN kits were sold were never build. Your help is appreciated. I have a Mk 3 receiver to build into a semi-auto. It would sure nice to have a short Mk 3 or 4 barrel on it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Your chasing after a scarce commodity... especially one in shooting condition. Most parts kits were MkI or MKII guns and most of the ones I've stumbled into are shot out or DP (Drill Purpose) barrels. If your putting together a new gun... buy a NEW Mk II from Omega Weapons systems and have a machinist turn it to the proper shorter length and thinner profile and install the original front sight/flash hider. You'll have a brand new bore and chamber and the Mk III cosmetics that you are seeking (excepting the small difference in the flash hider which most don't even know about much less notice). Eventually, an original will show up for you to but, but there will be no guarantee that it will be accurate or have a decent chamber and throat.

The Indian light barrel version that starts with a Mk I barrel and employs a cut down flash hider would be a neat variation... one that I hope to have replicated in the near future for my MkIII guns. MkI barrels come with the same condition issues but are a lot more common... but you'll have to expend some effort and coin to find one that is in better than average condition (bore and throat).

Good luck with your search.

·
Premium Member
3,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Your chasing after a scarce commodity... especially one in shooting condition. Most parts kits were MkI or MKII guns and most of the ones I've stumbled into are shot out or DP (Drill Purpose) barrels. If your putting together a new gun... buy a NEW Mk II from Omega Weapons systems and have a machinist turn it to the proper shorter length and thinner profile and install the original front sight/flash hider.
You've confirmed my Plan B. Thank you, sir. A few questions, if I might humbly draw upon your kindness and expertise. What is the difference with the MK 3 front sight and FH? Why are most of the imported MK 3 guns DP'd or so worn? The receiver I have is DP marked. Last, do you know a source for the specs of the MK 4 barrel contour? Sorry for all of the questions........

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Three types of MKIV barrels that I have. There may be more types:

Top: SAF marked, Indian Small Arms Factory; MK4 stamped regulator; barrel stamped Mk4*; Enfield marked MKI type gasblock/flash-hider.
Middle: MKIV stamped; Enfield made; Israeli star stamped; broadarrow stamped; Brit inspector and proof stamped; regulator marked III.
Bottom: MK4 stamped; Enfield made, Brit marked; regulator marked 4.

All production MKIV barrels are .303, with some being converted to .308 post-war. I have not seen evidence of any factory made in 7.92, but there may have been.

Tool Antique tool

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
I believe I'm looking at what you want right now. But I have to ask the boss tomorrow night if he'd be interested in selling it or not. Don't hold your breath though. We've had it sitting on the shelf for awhile and have never tried to sell it because the the boss wanted it for himself. But with that said, we recently sold something else that wasn't for sale before. I'll check....

Rob S. In PA

·
Premium Member
3,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I believe I'm looking at what you want right now. But I have to ask the boss tomorrow night if he'd be interested in selling it or not. Don't hold your breath though. We've had it sitting on the shelf for awhile and have never tried to sell it because the the boss wanted it for himself. But with that said, we recently sold something else that wasn't for sale before. I'll check....

Rob S. In PA
Thanks, Rob. I appreciate the help. Todd

1 - 12 of 12 Posts