1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
for the 80cm Barr and Stroud optical rangefinders, the FT37, etc.

Any leads appreciated! Also any leads on accessories, etc.

·
Premium Member
3,213 Posts
I've been looking for years. They occasionally pop-up on eBay where people don't know what they have.

·
Registered
7,031 Posts
...me too...

Got 4-Barr & Stroud range-finders,as they were issue items for the 1917 Machine Gun Carts. Been looking for the original wood tri-pods to go with 'em.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, there've gotta be some in the U.K.

I wonder if it'd be worthwhile to import some?

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
Well, there've gotta be some in the U.K.

I wonder if it'd be worthwhile to import some?
There are at least two tripods that I run across. The first is a small portable steel or aluminum one used both in WWI and WWII by the infantry in the field. I am thinking these would be most common with individual Vickers teams. The second are the wooden tripods, I would think these would be most common with artillery/mortar or Vickers support platoons. Usually not a problem importing either of these tripods, the issue is cost. Shipping is much more expensive from the UK to US than from US to UK. I would guess the cost of shipping the small tripod to be $50 - $100 depending on how savvy the shipper is. No idea how much the larger wood tripod would be, you are dealing with dimensional and not actual weight at that point. Just my humble opinion.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There are at least two tripods that I run across. The first is a small portable steel or aluminum one used both in WWI and WWII by the infantry in the field. I am thinking these would be most common with individual Vickers teams. The second are the wooden tripods, I would think these would be most common with artillery/mortar or Vickers support platoons. Usually not a problem importing either of these tripods, the issue is cost. Shipping is much more expensive from the UK to US than from US to UK. I would guess the cost of shipping the small tripod to be $50 - $100 depending on how savvy the shipper is. No idea how much the larger wood tripod would be, you are dealing with dimensional and not actual weight at that point. Just my humble opinion.
Thanks for that info. Yes, agreed that the shipping will be expensive, but then again they're not a common item here stateside either. I have a tendency to look at the SAR show west as one of the best places to source things, firsthand. Last year though....not much of anything there, which was surprising to me. So it's an online search now, but that's just the way it goes. This forum though, has been a huge help.

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
Thanks for that info. Yes, agreed that the shipping will be expensive, but then again they're not a common item here stateside either. I have a tendency to look at the SAR show west as one of the best places to source things, firsthand. Last year though....not much of anything there, which was surprising to me. So it's an online search now, but that's just the way it goes. This forum though, has been a huge help.
I will email or PM you when I see one so you can buy it directly. Not a rare item, just not a high demand for them here.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I will email or PM you when I see one so you can buy it directly. Not a rare item, just not a high demand for them here.
I would very much appreciate that!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts