1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These are of course the parts that allow the 1919 to run on M13 links. Let me know what you have and price please. I'm looking for a complete sets of the necessary parts or most of them. An extractor by itself doesn't really help at this point.

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,035 Posts
That's a tall order these days. Most everyone who was working on a C5A1 has either had it built, or sold off the project. A bunch of it was sold about a year or so back, and that's the last time I've seen anything approaching a complete set of the required parts for sale. Most of us had to piece it all together over time. I wish you luck in your endeavor.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Lucky#13 is 100% correct on just how hard it is to put together a complete C5A1 kit. In ten years of actively doing that I managed to put together 5 complete sets and I had Lucky#13 build a couple of them for me. I got divorced which put me in the poor house and I was forced to sell off most everything I had that was C5A1 related but I do still have a small box of some of the specialized parts left but nothing even close to a full kit. I can find what I have and let you know if you are interested in what I have available? This is not a quest for the lighthearted as it is very hard to locate several of the required parts and it takes time and patience to get everything.

Mike--Mustangman7

·
Premium Member
5,357 Posts
I have a complete set and spares and I do mean complete with barrel and all.

·
Premium Member
5,357 Posts
Not sure Mike I have been sitting on it for a while and have one guy in front of you besides I thought you gave up on the C5A1 thing? I have been slowly selling stuff off for the past two years trying to thin the heard because I just have too many projects and I am trying to stay focused on a few class 3 toys I am working on.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I gave up because being poor from the divorce forced me to. Am considering getting back in and it would take a complete kit to get me to do it. I have cash if you want to part with it. Call me if you want to talk about it.

Mike--Mustangman7

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
These are of course the parts that allow the 1919 to run on M13 links. Let me know what you have and price please. I'm looking for a complete sets of the necessary parts or most of them. An extractor by itself doesn't really help at this point.
BOTD-- A spare C1/C5A1 extractor will come in handy later in your project. This is not a project for the faint of heart to say the least but it is doable. But it is not cheap either. I would recommend that you start by getting copies of the Canadian C5A1 maintenance manuals; C-71-126-000/CS-006 and C-71-126-000/MY-000. These manuals will give you and idea of what to look for in a "complete" parts set. As I have mention these parts are not cheap and where there is a demand for parts there is the opportunity to take advantage of someone. Which I have seen with bogus parts. Also the Canadian military also condemn parts which were sold as scrap and later sold to the unsuspecting buyers. Most of the parts for the C1/C5A1 Browning were modified US military parts with several uniquely Canadian made parts through into the mix. If you cannot find them they can be modified from US military parts. There should be an archive of my C5A1 build with the manuals posted somewhere on this web site.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
BOTD-- A spare C1/C5A1 extractor will come in handy later in your project. This is not a project for the faint of heart to say the least but it is doable. But it is not cheap either. I would recommend that you start by getting copies of the Canadian C5A1 maintenance manuals; C-71-126-000/CS-006 and C-71-126-000/MY-000. These manuals will give you and idea of what to look for in a "complete" parts set. As I have mention these parts are not cheap and where there is a demand for parts there is the opportunity to take advantage of someone. Which I have seen with bogus parts. Also the Canadian military also condemn parts which were sold as scrap and later sold to the unsuspecting buyers. Most of the parts for the C1/C5A1 Browning were modified US military parts with several uniquely Canadian made parts through into the mix. If you cannot find them they can be modified from US military parts. There should be an archive of my C5A1 build with the manuals posted somewhere on this web site.
Thanks so much for the input. I bought the manual which is for sale on eBay (bilingual, so 50% wasted) don't recall the number off hand. I just want my M1919A4 to run with M13 links.

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,035 Posts
Thanks so much for the input. I bought the manual which is for sale on eBay (bilingual, so 50% wasted) don't recall the number off hand. I just want my M1919A4 to run with M13 links.
I had a number of fjruple's C5A1 threads linked, but not all. I'll put the link down for the first one, but I found that if you search for "Installment" you will get many of those pulling up . The threads were entitled Installment 1, Installment 2, etc. The ones I just checked are all still active in this new format.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
"Come in handy"......yeah. I'm not planning an exact replica of a C5A1 to sit on the shelf. I'm going to run a M1919A4 with M13 links. A lot. So, yeah, I'll be buying a couple of extra extractors, what I meant was more that, starting from zero, an extractor is not helpful in and of itself.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
"Come in handy"......yeah. I'm not planning an exact replica of a C5A1 to sit on the shelf. I'm going to run a M1919A4 with M13 links. A lot. So, yeah, I'll be buying a couple of extra extractors, what I meant was more that, starting from zero, an extractor is not helpful in and of itself.
It is not that simple. You have to permanently modify the Right sideplate to do the C5A1 conversion. It involves a bunch of parts and machining and once you make it a C5A1 you can't swap it back to a 1919a4.

Mike--Mustangman7

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
BOTD-- If you are doing this conversion just to run M13 links. It would be cheaper just to run the Izzy links. Like Mike says once the gun is permanently modified to C5A1 specs. There is no going back. But it is an interesting modification.

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,035 Posts
Mike is correct. The feedway parts require permanent mods, including a unique belt holding pawl bracket. The one thing your idea will benefit from is that you will not need to acquire the very hard-to-find charging handle parts. You can use a standard A4 charging handle. But you will need the C5A1 bolt, extractor and the feedway mods.

Are you looking at modifying a 1919A4 that is already built and running, or do you have the gun build yet ahead of you? Definitely more challenging, if your gun is fully assembled now.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, I WAS under the impression it was a parts swap, but that really doesn't diminish my interest. I'm an 07/SOT, so it can be a semi rifle or a Post Sample. Maybe one of each, ha ha. Is there someone that you guys agree would be the person to do the build(s)/work?
I take your point about the Izzy links. It's just that no one but them used them, and there are gazillions of rounds of 7.62 in M13 links in existence.

BOTD-- If you are doing this conversion just to run M13 links. It would be cheaper just to run the Izzy links. Like Mike says once the gun is permanently modified to C5A1 specs. There is no going back. But it is an interesting modification.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I had a number of fjruple's C5A1 threads linked, but not all. I'll put the link down for the first one, but I found that if you search for "Installment" you will get many of those pulling up . The threads were entitled Installment 1, Installment 2, etc. The ones I just checked are all still active in this new format.

Thanks so much, I appreciate your time!

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Lucky#13 has built a couple of them already for me so he is well versed on what it takes to build one and he is an FFL holder. If I am able to build another one his is the one and only person on my short list of builders for the C5A1.

If you read up all the C5A1 stuff that Frank posted you can learn EVERYTHING you ever wanted to know about the C5A1. His work inspired me to build mine.

Mike--Mustangman7

1 - 17 of 17 Posts