1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a complete Belgium FAL bolt. Please PM if you can help.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Pretty sure there are just metric and english bolts. You need a metric. Also you want to buy the bolt and carrier as a set.

if you don't score here, go over to FAL files. Somebody always has one there.

Karl

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
Belgian bolts are metric. A number of countries made metric bolts, but also bought them from FN. Not uncommon to find them dual-marked.

And there is no need to buy a matched set of bolt & carrier. The headspace is off the locking shoulder and bolt, not the carrier.

·
Premium Member
3,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Pretty sure there are just metric and english bolts. You need a metric. Also you want to buy the bolt and carrier as a set.

if you don't score here, go over to FAL files. Somebody always has one there.

Karl
I've a carrier with the understanding that the carrier sn and bolt sn will not match—until I force them to match. The Belgium bolts are metric but inch and metric bolts are interchangeable. This is for an early Izzy ROMAT build. The Israelis modified the bolt carriers for a forward assist.

·
Premium Member
3,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Belgian bolts are metric. A number of countries made metric bolts, but also bought them from FN. Not uncommon to find them dual-marked.

And there is no need to buy a matched set of bolt & carrier. The headspace is off the locking shoulder and bolt, not the carrier.
I can't tell you how many people tell me that the carrier and bolt need to be headspaced as a set. I never understood this since, as you say, the bolt headspaces off of the locking shoulder and the lug on the bolt.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
I can't tell you how many people tell me that the carrier and bolt need to be headspaced as a set. I never understood this since, as you say, the bolt headspaces off of the locking shoulder and the lug on the bolt.

I don't think its a headspace issue. its a matter of the bolt and carriers easily sliding the bolt in/out of lockup. Lots of surfaces have to be just so. I am not the definitive expert here though, just repeating what I read on FAL files.

I'd sure like to see a FAL with forward assist. Can you take a pic of that?

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
You can mix and match inch and metric bolts and carriers.

The forward assist is simply a notch on the left side slide rail. One can modify a standard bolt carrier with a dremel.

·
Premium Member
3,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You can mix and match inch and metric bolts and carriers.

The forward assist is simply a notch on the left side slide rail. One can modify a standard bolt carrier with a dremel.
But you need the Izzy forward assist charging handle.

Machine Machine tool

1 - 10 of 10 Posts