1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,289 Posts
I recommend looking for a compete gun. In the end it is less expensive since the kits are fetching such high dollar.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
I recommend looking for a compete gun. In the end it is less expensive since the kits are fetching such high dollar.
That spoils the fun.

They are still around, but you got to search a bit harder than just looking on gun broker. just last week, my son got an Imbel kit for $275 off Craig's list. He'll probably con me into building it.

Karl

·
Premium Member
3,289 Posts
That spoils the fun.

They are still around, but you got to search a bit harder than just looking on gun broker. just last week, my son got an Imbel kit for $275 off Craig's list. He'll probably con me into building it.

Karl
Karl, your son had a great find at $275 but it is the increasingly rare exception. If you honestly look at the product and cost, buying a well assembled previous build gun makes sense—at least for now. I'm not referring to the current DSA product or stuff on Hesse receivers. Take the example of a guy on the FALFILES that just paid $800 for an Izzy HB kit that is missing some small parts. A forged receiver will run $600 if you can find one ($435 and a 2 month wait for a cast Coonan. DSA has now switched to cast.), $300 if you can't do the build yourself, and shipping of $100 for a total of perhaps $1800 and probably more. Why do this when there are built Izzy HB guns with forged DSA or Imbel receivers out there for as little as $1200? Having said all of this, I'm doing an Izzy LB build so the pleasure of the hunt and build often exceeds the logic of the total cost.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
... Having said all of this, I'm doing an Izzy LB build so the pleasure of the hunt and build often exceeds the logic of the total cost.
Exactly. The guns in my safe I bought are just guns. the ones I built are treasures with a story on every one.

You are right. The days of building to save big bucks are over.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
FAL parts? I think I have some Izzy FAL heavy bipods, barrels, flash hiders, etc. stuffed in a corner around here somewhere. I haven't seen them in years, but if they're worth something I'm sure I can find them.

·
Premium Member
3,289 Posts
FAL parts? I think I have some Izzy FAL heavy bipods, barrels, flash hiders, etc. stuffed in a corner around here somewhere. I haven't seen them in years, but if they're worth something I'm sure I can find them.
I'd be interested in any light barrel stuff.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
I'll be damned if I can find the FAL parts. I've looked everywhere and I can't find them.

But, now we have more to the story... I'm lamenting to a buddy on how I'm so damned stupid and can't find my FAL parts. Then he lays something on me. An STG58 built by Mark "The Gun Plumber" Graham of Arizona Response Systems. It looks very nice with original appearing Steyr-Daimler-Puch markings on an Imbel Type-1 receiver. The upper, lower, bolt, and bolt carrier have matching serial number too. Now that's interesting. What can anyone tell me about it? I don't believe I've seen one before.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
STG58s carry quite a premium. Gunplumber's work is so nice you'll be afraid to shoot it. I'm not a value expert but it might push $2K on gun breaker.

karl

·
Premium Member
3,289 Posts
Matching STG 58s are valued first because the Austrians surplused the guns directly without the guns going to a 3rd world country to be abused like the G1s that went to Turkey. The early STGs were made by FN with wood furniture. The later STGs were made by Steyr with hammer forged barrels.

Imbel receivers have an excellent reputation. Gunplumber has been noted as doing excellent work. He does not mince his words when he communicates.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
I'm liquidating a FAL collection. Time is the problem for me so I don't have time to nickel and dime little stuff or sell $20 parts. Right now my computer has a virus so went into the shop for a few days.

First thing I'm going to sell is complete rifles- available are StG58, L1A1, South African, FMAP (Argentina), IMBEL (Brazil). If somebody wants a 'kit" I can disassemble down to the tiniest springs and pins.

After that's gone I'll get to the furniture and accessories. AFTER means "not now" so don't contact me about parts, you'll piss me off. I do not have kits (except as I said, to disassemble complete rifles) and do not have barrels (APEX does.)

If somebody is SERIOUS about buying an FAL or L1A1 contact me with your preferences. But please please please don't tire kick, I don't have time to waste. You will have to be patient as well, as I prefer to sell several before I do the work to dig them out and ship them.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
I'll be damned if I can find the FAL parts. I've looked everywhere and I can't find them.

But, now we have more to the story... I'm lamenting to a buddy on how I'm so damned stupid and can't find my FAL parts. Then he lays something on me. An STG58 built by Mark "The Gun Plumber" Graham of Arizona Response Systems. It looks very nice with original appearing Steyr-Daimler-Puch markings on an Imbel Type-1 receiver. The upper, lower, bolt, and bolt carrier have matching serial number too. Now that's interesting. What can anyone tell me about it? I don't believe I've seen one before.
ARS machined a very few IMBEL Type IIIs into Type I.

StG58s were made first on Type I, then Type II, then Type III receivers. And, over the course of use, later types may have been used as replacements.

Some StG58 are blued, which brings a premium. As does matching numbers. More matching, original finish StG58 kits were imported than all others combined- yet, the quality of the StG58 keeps a premium. Prices for a matching, original kit hit a grand a few years ago but is down in the $750-$800 range now.

ARS built guns are top notch and run right out of the box.

I compare the prices of built kits to current DSA prices. A new DSA Voyager w/ cast receiver is about $1000; the previous forged receiver guns ran about $1500. An ARS or other quality built StG58 is by far a better gun than the DSA (w/ MIM parts), so somebody that wants the highest quality shouldn't squabble about paying $1500+ for an StG58.

That gun in question I would value just shy of $2000; it's "worth" $2000 but the low and steady ($2300) prices of original FNs supress the prices of both kit guns and other imports. For reference, Springfield Armory SAR48 (IMBEL-Brazil) can be had for ~$1500 and Armscorp imports (FMAP-Argentina) a couple bucks more, creeping toward the $2k range.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Now for some eye candy - ARS StG58

She sure is pretty. I'm surprised I've never seen one previously.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
I'm liquidating a FAL collection. Time is the problem for me so I don't have time to nickel and dime little stuff or sell ....

If somebody is SERIOUS about buying an FAL or L1A1 contact me with your preferences. But please please please don't tire kick, I don't have time to waste. You will have to be patient as well, as I prefer to sell several before I do the work to dig them out and ship them.

I'm always watching for more FALs. Just post pics and prices. If it don't trip my trigger, there are plenty others looking too.

Karl

1 - 20 of 23 Posts