1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Looking for one cast brass "wingnut" style fitting with a steel hose ferrule which were imported by IMA in some quantity and which came from Finland and were marked with the SA in a box for the Finn army. The water cans and steam port fittings that came to the USA were made by the Finns for use with their captured Russian 1910s. Also would like an original Finnish water can for my Finnish M09/21 Maxim. Please PM me.

Note: Description above original written by Bob Naess.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
I have been trying to find one of those connectors myself to complete the Finnish setup. So far no luck.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Hope you find one redroth, maybe someone can repro them when one surfaces? I need one as well. :eek:
CaptMax

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hope you find one redroth, maybe someone can repro them when one surfaces? I need one as well. :eek:
CaptMax
I know where some are in Europe so there is no need to get a repro made, worse case I will buy some of those. I figure somebody has some lying around here in the states so I will just be patient.

None of the Maxim stuff I am looking for is either rare or expensive. In fact, the Russians had so many M1910 Maxim guns that they gave the Finn's a bunch during WWII. :rofl: Luckily unlike the Vickers stuff the Finn stuff is NOT made out of gold.

BTW, you ought to buy the 1917 Ammunition cart, towing it behind the Ferret would be the cat's meow!!

·
Registered
885 Posts
I'm lucky enough to have a SA Maxim and one of those hose connectors you are talking about. And I don't want to hijack this thread or change the direction, but let me ask you this: Have you ever seen a wartime picture of a Maxim 1910 with the hose & can connected? I have been looking at wartime Maxim photos on eBay for the last few years and have yet to see a picture, or a clip on YouTube for that matter, that actually shows a "ground" Maxim 1910 hooked up to the hose and can. The only time I have seen an actual wartime picture of them hooked up to a cooling system is when there were in the 4-gun AA mount on the back of a truck. I have looked at hundreds of wartime pictures, before, during, after battle - I have never seen one hooked up to a hose or can. Ever. Even the post battle German photos - shredded maxims, scattered ammo can and belts, dead bodies, but never a water can or hose. There were thousands of Maxims brought on to the US, along with lots of spares. Where are the thousands of original Russian water cans and hoses (and connectors) and those spares? You can find pictures of ground mount Vickers hooked up to the hose and can rather easily. But not a 1910. Any idea why that is? I can buy into the abundance of snow in most of Russia in the Winter making them somewhat unnecessary, but what about the rest of the year, especially the Summer? Another point - the Finns used the 1910's, too, but I am sure they never had anywhere near as many as the Russians, yet all the water cans you find are Finnish, not Russian. It just strikes me a odd.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Your point is well taken and others have expressed that same sentiment about the Russian M1910 guns. It may have been that the Early Finnish guns (M09/21 and some M09/09) were smooth jacketed guns with out the tractor caps and needed to utilize a water chest. The Finns were actually the first to use the tractor cap on the 32/33's starting in 1937 and then the Russians adopted them during WWII if my history is correct. With the tractor caps on the water jacket this filling cap allowed snow to be used instead of water during winter-time and made water cans unnecessary when snow was available. Also it is easy to replace water that has evaporated, not so on the earlier smooth jacket guns without the cap. I am a novice on Maxim guns so I will let more experienced Forum members comment on this.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Only original picture I could find with one being used, other than this I have several in original troop photographs.
CaptMax

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Only original picture I could find with one being used, other than this I have several in original troop photographs.
CaptMax
As I mentioned in my earlier post, the Finns used water cans on their smooth water jacketed Maxim's. You may note this is a Finnish M09/21 gun (note the collar on the back of the water jacket). This is the type of Maxim gun I have.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts