1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

it's been a while since I've been on the forum and hope i am posting this ad correctly.

i am looking for an M2 pintle (bolt and castle nut too) and an elevation "gas bottle knob" for the t&e.

both items are intended for a restored 1917a1 tripod.

not too worried about finish wear, i have access to parkerizing equipment. i don't mind having to do a little work to resurrect a piece of history.

Thank you for the help. This community here has been very helpful and hospitable to a new guy. i had the privilege to meet a few of you at knob creek back in 2017. it was a pleasure!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He may be referring to the earlier brass ones.....
redroth,

you are correct. i am looking for the early brass one. i have half the equation here, i just am short the elevation knob. i know these are early and hard to find. but, i thought if anyone might have an early elevation knob in their possesion it might be one of y'all on the forum.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
There are few in private hands. You may want to state what you’re willing to pay. Most WTB are a waste of time because after much bother it’s a case of “I didn’t want to pay that much. “

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
I am sure if available you should start your WTB as, willing to trade first born for an early brass gas bottle knob....

·
Registered
640 Posts
I had the same issue a few years back needing an elevation knob to match an early traverse knob. I bought a beat up knob for dirt cheap and milled the finger grooves into it. Then got brass rustoleum paint and did both knobs. I have other cradles with early knobs and you cant really tell the difference . Will work until you find one and costs very little.

Attachments

·
Registered
489 Posts
I remember this post a while back and was impressed with your results. Never did get round to trying it.
Noticed your mount, the cradle side plates look 1/2 thick? I'm not to familiar with the 1917 or 1918 mount but I'm sure they were not 1/2 thick. Is this for a 52aa or something ??

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There are few in private hands. You may want to state what you’re willing to pay. Most WTB are a waste of time because after much bother it’s a case of “I didn’t want to pay that much. “
I recognize these are hard to find, and I want to hold out for one. It is hard to put a price on something hard to find and have no ability to reference any kind of previous sales. Maybe I am in left field, I am anticipating between $100- but less than the first born for just the elevation knob.
Like I said....I know these are hard to find...but I have to make an effort here to find one. I will keep haunting ebay and gunbroker, but y'all seem to know the pulse on the BMG end of things. I thought you guys might have one or would at least maybe remember me if you saw one for sale.
I am just trying to exercise the best plan for success.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Always hoping to find a knob but nice to have different examples. Plenty of photos of Tripods with one gas and one steel.

I'm glad I bought both of the T&Es in the grease. Had a senior moment and thought I was going to just throw one gas knob on the other. Instant rare T&E. Well you know the rest of the story.

1917A1 cradle 1st pic
Tank Cradle 2nd
Gas bottle and steel 3rd
Gas bottle and aluminum 4th
Also have standard steel steel

As a note I don't know what that goop is on my 1917. Just noticed it when I took picture.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
11,989 Posts
Last gas bottle brass knobs I saw- I don't recall if they were elevation or traverse- were at Knob Creek a couple of years back. They sold for $200 each.

·
Premium Member
5,223 Posts
Last gas bottle brass knobs I saw- I don't recall if they were elevation or traverse- were at Knob Creek a couple of years back. They sold for $200 each.
There were three traverse and only one elevation knob that show, I tried to make a deal for them but no love.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Always hoping to find a knob but nice to have different examples. Plenty of photos of Tripods with one gas and one steel.

I'm glad I bought both of the T&Es in the grease. Had a senior moment and thought I was going to just throw one gas knob on the other. Instant rare T&E. Well you know the rest of the story.

1917A1 cradle 1st pic
Tank Cradle 2nd
Gas bottle and steel 3rd
Gas bottle and aluminum 4th
Also have standard steel steel

As a note I don't know what that goop is on my 1917. Just noticed it when I took picture.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk
thats cool to know for now i have a "variation" of one set up with one of each knob. yeah...this will be a lengthy expensive search i expect. but, i will keep on the hunt. eventually, i hope to find one...

·
Registered
489 Posts
Thompsongunner - Wow nice execution! I think I might like yours more than the original to be honest - look more stable.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
thats cool to know for now i have a "variation" of one set up with one of each knob. yeah...this will be a lengthy expensive search i expect. but, i will keep on the hunt. eventually, i hope to find one...
Have I added with others how much I dislike this new format? I want to send a private message to 661944 and can't for the life of me find what to click on to do that..!!
NEVER MIND....I'm slow and just figured it out.

·
Premium Member
5,223 Posts
While no one here knows 661944 he joined me at the creek a few years ago and met a bunch of the members here. He is a great guy and one of our younger guys getting into this but he has a very nice WWI to WWII conversion 1917A1 which I have been helping him on. He is a great guy FWIW

1 - 19 of 19 Posts