1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a m1910 maxim wheeled mount but missing the shield. Looking to buy the shield and mounting pin or just the mounting pin. I mount my 1919a4 on it, fits like a glove. I read that the shield does not fit with a 1919. I'm going to cut the shield away enough for it to work. If anyone knows where to buy one please let me know. I know IMA used to sell reproductions of the shield and pin but no longer does so. A repo would also be alright. It seems that there is not one for sale anywhere. On eBay there is a guy from Estonia and another one from Latvia selling original shields but no pins, real rough shape but if I had the pin, might consider buying the best one and spend the extra amount for the oversea shipping cost? I have a SG-43 carriage with the shield and love shooting the 1919 off that mount. Don't know why they didn't catch on more with the 1919 crowd. So stable and easy to move around. I like it alot more than any tripod. Also it's an ''evil" RUSSIAN gun mount which makes me like it even more, Russia so scary!!!

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Let me know what you come up with, I have a similar situation here :D

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Oops, double post.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I ended up with one, I traded a guy my pin and $200 for his. Haven’t even gotten around to pick up a shield yet.

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
I have a m1910 maxim wheeled mount but missing the shield. Looking to buy the shield and mounting pin or just the mounting pin. I mount my 1919a4 on it, fits like a glove. I read that the shield does not fit with a 1919. I'm going to cut the shield away enough for it to work. If anyone knows where to buy one please let me know. I know IMA used to sell reproductions of the shield and pin but no longer does so. A repo would also be alright. It seems that there is not one for sale anywhere. On eBay there is a guy from Estonia and another one from Latvia selling original shields but no pins, real rough shape but if I had the pin, might consider buying the best one and spend the extra amount for the oversea shipping cost? I have a SG-43 carriage with the shield and love shooting the 1919 off that mount. Don't know why they didn't catch on more with the 1919 crowd. So stable and easy to move around. I like it alot more than any tripod. Also it's an ''evil" RUSSIAN gun mount which makes me like it even more, Russia so scary!!!
Besides cutting up a piece of history... let me see if I can help a bit.

The shield will not work with a 1919a4. It will fit on with a 1919a4 without cutting anything away. Actually that is the problem. The shield is held in place by a spring on the top cover of the Maxim. The Maxim is much taller than the 1919a4. So there is nothing to hold the shield up. It pivots on the pin below. The Shield is not bolted in place and will not stand up on its own like a SG43 Mount. So the shield will either fall forward onto the barrel on back on the top cover. Either way its not going to work well. Thats why you don't see it being used that way.

What pin did the mount come with? It should have come with the front pin. The rear pin comes with the Maxim.

I don't know if it will work but here is a pin.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr....TRC4.A0.H0.Xmax.TRS1&_nkw=maxim&_sacat=13956

Go here. There is a slide show. You can see how the shield is held in place at the top by the spring on the Maxim top cover (At the front)
http://www.real-gun.com/deactivated-maxim.html

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
maxim shield

Besides cutting up a piece of history... let me see if I can help a bit.

The shield will not work with a 1919a4. It will fit on with a 1919a4 without cutting anything away. Actually that is the problem. The shield is held in place by a spring on the top cover of the Maxim. The Maxim is much taller than the 1919a4. So there is nothing to hold the shield up. It pivots on the pin below. The Shield is not bolted in place and will not stand up on its own like a SG43 Mount. So the shield will either fall forward onto the barrel on back on the top cover. Either way its not going to work well. Thats why you don't see it being used that way.

What pin did the mount come with? It should have come with the front pin. The rear pin comes with the Maxim.

I don't know if it will work but here is a pin.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr....TRC4.A0.H0.Xmax.TRS1&_nkw=maxim&_sacat=13956

Go here. There is a slide show. You can see how the shield is held in place at the top by the spring on the Maxim top cover (At the front)
http://www.real-gun.com/deactivated-maxim.html
I have all the pins to mount the Browning directly on the 1910 carriage but don't have the pin that comes with the shield, it is different and the shield pin is needed to use the shield with the carriage. With my SG-43 carriage I had a guy on Gunbroker, 50bmgdude, make me a mount for the SG-43 carriage so I could use my 1919a4 with it and holds ammo cans on both sides as well, really awesome! With the SG-43 carriage you need to make a mount to use it with the Browning, but with the 1910 carriage you don't need to fabricate a mount to use it with a 1919. However if you want to use the shield with it you need to fabricate a mount so the shield can be used with it, The guy I was talking about from Gunbroker can make that mount and it comes with ammo can holders too. And that is good news that I would not have to cut the shield down for the 1910 carriage, but I wouldn't of cut it down, because when I buy one in the future I would see that it would not need to be cut because of what you are saying. Thanks for trying to help, still looking for a shield and shield pin. Still don't know why the browning folks don't use these carriages more, they work great with the right fabricated mounts. Still alot less money than some tripods and in my opinion better.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
pin

I have all the pins to mount the Browning directly on the 1910 carriage but don't have the pin that comes with the shield, it is different and the shield pin is needed to use the shield with the carriage. With my SG-43 carriage I had a guy on Gunbroker, 50bmgdude, make me a mount for the SG-43 carriage so I could use my 1919a4 with it and holds ammo cans on both sides as well, really awesome! With the SG-43 carriage you need to make a mount to use it with the Browning, but with the 1910 carriage you don't need to fabricate a mount to use it with a 1919. However if you want to use the shield with it you need to fabricate a mount so the shield can be used with it, The guy I was talking about from Gunbroker can make that mount and it comes with ammo can holders too. And that is good news that I would not have to cut the shield down for the 1910 carriage, but I wouldn't of cut it down, because when I buy one in the future I would see that it would not need to be cut because of what you are saying. Thanks for trying to help, still looking for a shield and shield pin. Still don't know why the browning folks don't use these carriages more, they work great with the right fabricated mounts. Still alot less money than some tripods and in my opinion better.
I looked a little bit better on that eBay link that you gave me and I do see a shield pin, it says for the description
( connecting bolt of machine gun Maxim, military relic)
for $29.00 with shipping, that is the pin, thanks so much, I think I will buy it for that price and even if I find a better one not to big of an investment, thanks again

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
There are two types of pins used by the Russian on the front of the 1910. One is the pin as linked. One is just for the gun. The ones just for the gun are a lot less common. Yes I know what you are talking about on the SG43. Yes the 1919a4 will drop right on a Sokolov. I have shot mine off it as well. A lot of people don't find the height of the mount comfortable and laying over that rear leg bar kind of sucks. I would rather have a M2 mount or a 1917 mount. Back in the day when a lot of these guys bought the mounts, the Sokolov was not that much cheaper. Maybe half the price. Now the 1917 mounts are much higher.

I looked a little bit better on that eBay link that you gave me and I do see a shield pin, it says for the description
( connecting bolt of machine gun Maxim, military relic)
for $29.00 with shipping, that is the pin, thanks so much, I think I will buy it for that price and even if I find a better one not to big of an investment, thanks again
Yes, it is that pin. Sorry I was trying to send a direct link, not the list page. I can tell you that for sure. Now if will unscrew.... that is the big question. Man, looking at it a bit more... not likely....

If you are going to build a bracket to hold the shield anyway... why not just get him to use a standard bolt and work the rest of the support into the bracket?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
There are two types of pins used by the Russian on the front of the 1910. One is the pin as linked. One is just for the gun. The ones just for the gun are a lot less common. Yes I know what you are talking about on the SG43. Yes the 1919a4 will drop right on a Sokolov. I have shot mine off it as well. A lot of people don't find the height of the mount comfortable and laying over that rear leg bar kind of sucks. I would rather have a M2 mount or a 1917 mount. Back in the day when a lot of these guys bought the mounts, the Sokolov was not that much cheaper. Maybe half the price. Now the 1917 mounts are much higher.

Yes, it is that pin. Sorry I was trying to send a direct link, not the list page. I can tell you that for sure. Now if will unscrew.... that is the big question. Man, looking at it a bit more... not likely....

If you are going to build a bracket to hold the shield anyway... why not just get him to use a standard bolt and work the rest of the support into the bracket?
That's a good idea about using a bolt, I'll have to message him and see how he usually does it. And if it's anything like the SG-43 mount he uses, it raises the gun up quite a bit and has ammo can holders, which I really like. Never had a problem with the tongue getting in the way, use it as a elbow rest. And using these mounts kinda solves the problem with it being to low and raises the gun some. However the whole idea is to be low and harder to detect and harder to hit. I still think it looks odd standing upright with these long legged AA Tripods, the exact opposite of the reality of how the gun was intended to be used in war unless you are thinking about shooting down planes. Love those 1917 tripods, sold mine, wish I had it now. Like you said prices skyrocketed. I do stand upright with my M31c pedestal, but you need that height to shoot over your vehicle. And with the pin on eBay, you are probably right with it not unscrewing but it's not much money and worth the risk. Thanks for the info again.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I may have an extra sokolov shield mount pin if you need it. They are not easy to find anymore and are not inexpensive either but I do have it if you must. PM me if I could be of any help. Aaron
Let me know what you come up with, I have a similar situation here :D

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I may have an extra sokolov shield mount pin if you need it. They are not easy to find anymore and are not inexpensive either but I do have it if you must. PM me if I could be of any help. Aaron
I have found a shield and pin through my digging. Not a source with a supply, sorry anyone else looking. Happy shooting

·
Registered
271 Posts
Anyone else who's looking for a shield, there are two scrappy ones and one decent one on EBay right now. Ships from Narva in Russia

·
Watercooled Addict
2,108 Posts
Those arent maxim shields. This is a maxim shield!

·
Registered
2,047 Posts

Нет товарища, это щит от Матери-России, а не тот колбасный людоед Фриц.
:)

351b.jpg

351a.jpg

1 - 15 of 15 Posts