1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since all WW1 US Army and Marine Machine Gun Co.'s were armed with the Vickers gun that had been modified by Colt for 30/06,I would like to get at least a Vickers kit,working gun or dummy gun for display with my 1917 carts. Would like to get the fluted jacket type,but a smooth jacket could also be helpful. I have an Izzy 1919 kit to trade...or FN30 kits w/RSP's and rivet sets....if anyone is interested. LMK by email ([email protected]) or PM. Please include a ph # for contact.

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
Wish I could help but I love my Vickers too much to part with it. :eek:
I'm sure someone here will be glad to take you up on the offer, especially offering an FN30 kit.
Good luck with your hunt!!
CaptMax

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Can't help you, but do you know what's involved to convert to .3006?

I've got a Vickers kit to build this winter.

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
I think your correct but they are not cheap!!!
CaptMax

·
Watercooled Addict
2,108 Posts
Just fyi, the 30-06 vickers were made in 30-06 by colt, not modified from british guns of another caliber. The 06 feedblock is a little different because 06 is longer than anything else commonly used in the guns. The colt vickers, which the us used, had some differences from its british counterpart that makes it easily identifiable, such as checkered bakelite spade handles, check lever, booster, top cover, rear sight, and the way the booster attaches to the barrel to name a few. Fluting of the jacket has a different look as well but most will not notice that.

And yes, a barrel, feedblock and lock of correct caliber will convert a vickers to whatever caliber you want.

·
Premium Member
3,213 Posts
Jmann is correct but, I might add, because of the shortage of machine guns when the US entered WWI, some units of the US AEF were issued some .303 Vickers. I have references that I need to dig out.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
An 8mm Turkish extractor will work just fine to feed 30.06. SARCO has/had de-milled by bending US Vickers 30.06 barrels that can be straightened. They were selling for twenty bucks a pop when I bought a few a while back. OOW is currently selling useable original 30.06 barrels for $1500. The muzzle thread pattern on a US Vickers barrel is different than that of a British barrel and the muzzle cups are different. You will need an original US muzzle cup or you have somebody slug, re-bore, and re-thread a British muzzle cup. For me at least, a muzzle cup is required when running 30.06 ammo.

Maybe an 8mm feed block can be converted to 30.06, but it's going to be expensive. If you find an original US 30.06 feed block you're going to have another issue. That issue has to do with feeding 30.06 ammo. British cloth belts are too thick and a loaded belt will jam within the feed block. Original US 30.06 links are very rare and expensive, if you can find some. I've never tried them, but South African 7.62 NATO links may work. US M60 links will not work. What does work, sort of, are Turkish aluminum 8mm belts. They're kind of wiggly, but if you go slowly you should have success. I've not tried Turkish steel belts, but they should work similar to aluminum belts.

·
Premium Member
3,213 Posts
I forgot the muzzle cap. I have a beautiful .30-06 barrel and lock that IMA demilled to make a dummy. Too bad they did this to such prime parts. Lonnie, when he still did work, salvaged the extractor for me. The barrel was beyond salvage.

·
Registered
7,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks,guy's...

Good solid info...am not familiar with the Vickers,but learning. Have had a couple emails and a price or two....still looking. Appreciate the help and info.

·
Premium Member
3,213 Posts
I forgot the muzzle cap. I have a beautiful .30-06 barrel and lock that IMA demilled to make a dummy. Too bad they did this to such prime parts. Lonnie, when he still did work, salvaged the extractor for me. The barrel was beyond salvage.
I found the reference http://www.oryansroughnecks.org/vickers.html.

"The machine gun used by the 27th Division was the British "Gun, Machine, .303, Mark I" commonly known as the Vickers. The Vickers was a modified Maxim gun designed by American inventor Hiram Maxim. The Maxim underwent many design changes over the years and the product that emerged from the Vickers plant in 1912, the Mark I, was to become a major player in human conflict for the next 50 years. It remained in service until 1965 and had a reputation for reliability and durability that made it loved by all who used it."

·
Registered
7,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I found the reference http://www.oryansroughnecks.org/vickers.html.

"The machine gun used by the 27th Division was the British "Gun, Machine, .303, Mark I" commonly known as the Vickers. The Vickers was a modified Maxim gun designed by American inventor Hiram Maxim. The Maxim underwent many design changes over the years and the product that emerged from the Vickers plant in 1912, the Mark I, was to become a major player in human conflict for the next 50 years. It remained in service until 1965 and had a reputation for reliability and durability that made it loved by all who used it."
Thank you for the reference. I'm trying to get all these little tidbits of info put together for a better look at how American forces went to fight in WW1. It's an on-going process and every little bit is appreciated. Also trying to get enough info verified to put into a book on the 1917 Machine Gun Cart series,as these were the last animal drawn vehicles in the US Army.

·
Watercooled Addict
2,108 Posts
It should be noted the vickers in the link provided on the gun cart is a colt vickers and not the same gun as shown in the other pictures. It should also be noted the wooden boxes that are all the same size as the ammo box with different color stripes denoting contents, which fit in the gun cart and also are shown in the pic, was a us thing, not a British thing. The Brits boxes were different in size.
The uniform box sizes were done on the us vickers and the us maxim I believe at uncle same request. It ended there as far as I know, but colt continued the practice on its commercial line of guns up until the beginning of wwii.

Reactions: Kirby
1 - 14 of 14 Posts