1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for the holy grail of MG34 butt stocks, a bakelite with the metal tips as seen in this picture.
I can pay or trade firearms for this item if you have one for sale. Please let me know if you do. Pictures and a price will be requested.
Thank-you, CaptMax

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Weekend bump......
If anybody had one that looked this nice I would even be willing to trade a nice AK47 for it.
CaptMax

·
Registered
196 Posts
MG34 butt stock

Is that the one that was offered earlier this year in France? If so it is now on my 1937 MG 34, I purchased it several months ago. Really nice and I have been looking for years for a butt stock with the metal protective plates. Harry

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is that the one that was offered earlier this year in France? If so it is now on my 1937 MG 34, I purchased it several months ago. Really nice and I have been looking for years for a butt stock with the metal protective plates. Harry
Yes I think it was Harry, and sure go ahead and rub salt in my wound!!!:rolleyes:
Mind telling me what I can expect to pay for one this nice? $500-$750 I would expect but an not really sure.
CaptMax

·
Registered
196 Posts
MG34 butt stock

In Europe they seem to be running in the $500 to $800 bracket but there was on on the German eBay that went for double that. I would keep an eye on the German eGun.de which is like our Gunbroker site. Also what for dealers from France or Holland as they seem to have a fare amount of MG34 parts that are not allowed in other EU countries. Harry

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you Harry, I guess i wasn't too far off on my estimate then.
I will continue to look and keep my eyes and ears open.
Thanks again, CaptMax

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well thanks to my good friend Russ "Toolmanm203" I finally have one of these for my '34.
He found this for me at the Knob Creek show after I had to leave unexpectedly on Saturday morning.
I can not thank him enough!!!!! I owe you big time Russ. :D "THANK-YOU"
I also wondered what others thought about having the metal tips re-plated? Opinions anyone???
CaptMax

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
No right or wrong but as rare as these are I would not re-plate them. Probably better to have someone make some repro's of the original and put them on when displaying the gun and saving the original ones.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Never change a serious collectible.

I was dying when Tooly told me about that find and told me it was for you!

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
I'd have the tips satin nickel plated. Nothing wrong with restoring a beautiful piece like that.

Just incredible that bakelite is beautiful... I could stare at the grains for hours. :cool:

·
Registered
735 Posts
I would leave it as it. Its in original condition, and it will only be original once. Its yours though, so do as you prefer.

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'll try and get some better pictures posted, it still has the waffenamp marking although it is hard to see.
It's a beautiful piece, right as rain, and I love it!!!
:alright:

·
Registered
5,117 Posts
I do not know if you read my thread on cleaning up G3 bakelight grips on the other board but a little jewelers compound would polish out a lot of the wear scratches and bring it back a lot.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
I do not know if you read my thread on cleaning up G3 bakelight grips on the other board but a little jewelers compound would polish out a lot of the wear scratches and bring it back a lot.
Gulf State Guard, can you post that link please? I'm sure that there is nothing wrong with posting a link to another board... unless the powers that be here at 1919A4.com feel that there cannot possibly be another source if information on that whole internet. :rofl:

Kidding.

Seriously, I'd like to read more. I've got a thing for bakelite.

·
Premium Member
6,037 Posts
Steve I am just glad you like it :D I know it is not perfect because of the tips but at the price I scored it for you could barely buy a wood one these days. The offer still stands on the tips as I would love to have my guy from Turnbull restoration do the polishing work and then have them plated for you so let me know should you decide to go that route. Now I just have to close the deal on one of the Browning mounts for your Ferret! After finding three people that supposedly have one I will not rest until I actually SEE one from one of them and get it in our hands so you can mount it on your wife's new ride :cool:

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Steve I am just glad you like it :D I know it is not perfect because of the tips but at the price I scored it for you could barely buy a wood one these days. The offer still stands on the tips as I would love to have my guy from Turnbull restoration do the polishing work and then have them plated for you so let me know should you decide to go that route. Now I just have to close the deal on one of the Browning mounts for your Ferret! After finding three people that supposedly have one I will not rest until I actually SEE one from one of them and get it in our hands so you can mount it on your wife's new ride :cool:
Russ, you know I will pay dearly for that Browning mount. Even if I have to pull my kid out of college to afford it. :rofl::rofl::rofl:
As far as the price on the butt stock, you know if you want or need anything else just ask me brother.:thumbup:
CaptMax

·
Premium Member
6,037 Posts
Russ, you know I will pay dearly for that Browning mount. Even if I have to pull my kid out of college to afford it. :rofl::rofl::rofl:
As far as the price on the butt stock, you know if you want or need anything else just ask me brother.:thumbup:
CaptMax
You owe me nothing brother and have been more than generous over the years :D besides you know I love THE HUNT and it is a bonus when we find something like this at a price so low it would make the boys sick. I was just shocked to find it on a Saturday at the creek we must be slowing down in our old age. I would not bring it back to the creek though as Abominog may run away with it :rofl::rofl::rofl: I had to beat him away from it with a stick lol I will get you the Ferret mount even if I have to drive to England to get one!

·
Registered
5,117 Posts
Careful Allen, remember the story of how butter knives were invented. You might lose a finger reaching for it. Some things are just primal responses

1 - 20 of 27 Posts