1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for the pin that secures the rear Maxim gun mount to the T&E of a mount or tripod. It is 3 1/2" long and looks like this:

Antique tool Tool

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
The pin pictured is for a 1910 Maxim…..is that what you are after? Or for an MG08 or some other Maxim? You didn't specify.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The pin pictured is for a 1910 Maxim…..is that what you are after? Or for an MG08 or some other Maxim? You didn't specify.
Hi Bob,
While this pin actually came off a Finnish Maxim (the brass adapter that sits between the Finnish tripod and the Maxim 09/21 rear gun mount) it may actually be a Russian one. I am very new to the Maxim.

I want to make a small extension to raise the rear of the semi-auto gun off of the brass extension that clamps on to the Finnish 09 mount enough to clear Dennis's (Mid West Metal) Maxim semi-auto trigger modification that protrudes below the bottom plate of the Maxim. I do not want to cut the tripod.

I figured it would be more elegant to use one of these pins rather than a bolt and nut.

This is the existing piece between the gun and the tripod:

Appreciate any ideas you have.

·
Registered
196 Posts
If I can jump in on this thread, I also need one of those pins as shown in the photograph for my 1910 Maxim. In moving stuff around to the new house the pin got lost. Does anyone have or know where I can get one. Thanks Harry

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
An 09/21 is a Russian Maxim, just slightly modified for use by the Finns. Any of the rear mount pins for the Russian 1910s or the Finn manufactured Maxims wil fit the traverse clamp and the rear mount. it is possible someone is making repros of the rear mount pin, but I have not seen one so far. Front mount pins for use with the shield on the Sokolov mounts are being made.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
An 09/21 is a Russian Maxim, just slightly modified for use by the Finns. Any of the rear mount pins for the Russian 1910s or the Finn manufactured Maxims wil fit the traverse clamp and the rear mount. it is possible someone is making repros of the rear mount pin, but I have not seen one so far. Front mount pins for use with the shield on the Sokolov mounts are being made.
I appreciate you taking the time to respond to my post, your knowledge of MG's is second to none.

If anyone has one, I would like to purchase one.

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Hi Folks--

Usually this pin is attached to the bottom of the M1910 Maxim with a small chain. If did not get the pin for your gun when you purchased it. More than likely the pin will not be part of the mount when you purchased it. The claw inside the pin also has a tendency of breaking off. Which happen to me. I found a new pin at Collector's Source in Canada. The Pin is an aftermarket produced manufactured somewhere in Canada. I had to machine fit the pin when I received and reblue. I just checked their web site and none were listed. I believe if you drop them an email they can tell where to get the pins.

I hope this is helpful.

Cheers

--fjruple

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
"The Pin is an aftermarket produced manufactured somewhere in Canada.'
Collector's Source in Canada is usually OK to deal with although the owners are pretty flaky in my opinion based on issues I have had with them not related to buying their items. They have a good site listing with pictures of all their items for sale. Thanks for the heads up fruple!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts