1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like the title states, I would like to purchase one of either a a semi MG42, semi MG34, or semi RPD.

I live in the Los Angeles area, so would need a fin Grip. Hoping to take it off soon with the recent outcome of the AWB case though!

·
Registered
608 Posts
Each of those use non-disintigrating links so I hope you bought the links during freedom week b/c shooting any of those in 10 round belts is a waste of time.

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
How can they prove when you bought the links...I just don't get it...Same with any belt loaded beyond 10rds...Just seems like a BS rule that only fools would follow.....And I say that with all due respect for those not willing to risk everything for a taste of freedom...More of learning question or insight on how others are forced to comply.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Sorry to say, but for the MG34 and MG42 you will need lose the flash hider, too. Since it is needed for the weapon to function, you can’t. Most people “fill them in” by fabricating a solid cone, bore it out for the bullet to exit, and weld it in place. Don’t forget to cut your belts to 10 rounds. You won’t have worry about the flash hider with an RPD. Also anything with a full or partial shroud (again, your mg 34/42) is supposed to be registered as an assault rifle by 12/31 and becomes non transferable within Cali. An unregistered assault rifle is a felony. I’m not a lawyer, but I think that amendment to the ban list still applies with the stay in place. The RPD, not having a full or partial shroud or a flash hider, squeaks through on both counts.

Sorry to deflate your hopes, but you won’t be taking your grip fin off or putting an unaltered flash hider on any of those weapons for a couple of years, at least. The ruling came down this afternoon and the ban was declared unconstitutional, but a 30 day stay was issued at the same time to give the State time to file an appeal, so it will be starting again, months from now, and will litigate longer at the appeals court level. Then whoever loses will appeal it to the Supreme Court. It will be a long road, but at least we got started on the right foot.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Each of those use non-disintigrating links so I hope you bought the links during freedom week b/c shooting any of those in 10 round belts is a waste of time.
Links are perfectly legal and it doesn’t matter when you bought them. One link holds one round. Buying 1000 links is just buying 1000 one round magazines. You just can’t string more than 10 of them together in California. It doesn’t matter when you bought them. Non-disintegrating belts - cloth belts for Maxims and Vickers, and non- disintegrating belts such as for the RPG, SG43, PKM, MG34/42/3 etc., cannot legally be brought in unless they are cut/ broken down into 10 round sections because they hold more than 10 rounds in their original condition and are therefore considered “high capacity magazines” and are a felony to possess or import into the States. You can buy links all over the place and have them shipped in Cali, but you can’t do that with disintegrating belts.

·
Registered
848 Posts
How can they prove when you bought the links...I just don't get it...Same with any belt loaded beyond 10rds...Just seems like a BS rule that only fools would follow.....And I say that with all due respect for those not willing to risk everything for a taste of freedom...More of learning question or insight on how others are forced to comply.
Some of us are too pretty for prison. Links don’t matter as long as they are not belted more than 10 rounds. Non- disintegrating belts are a challenge. If you bring them into the State, they can’t hold more than 10 rounds, so cloth belts have to be cut and metal belts have to broken up into 10 round sections. “Freedom week” stuff is another issue. The 10 round limit was struck down and a stay was not put in place for a week. Legally any high capacity magazines (and the State definition of “magazine” is “...any ammunition feeding device”) bought during that one week window between the ruling and the stay a week later is legal to own, posses, and use. At least as long as that ruling, still being litigated on appeal, is stayed. If it gets over-turned, they will be illegal to posses, too.

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
But there lies my question...Freedom week allows a small window of freedom to import evil into the state...How in the hell can they tell what is good from bad...Seems to me that no matter when you bought it they could claim that it is a restricted idem , and you have to prove you got it at a time when it was not restricted....How can you do that....Also, If you buy a 30rd mag during that week , you still can't load it beyond 10rd..Dose not sound like freedom to me.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Tkurtz18 what’s your budget? Plenty of semis here, but it’s unlikely there be offers due to tire kickers.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Links are perfectly legal and it doesn’t matter when you bought them. One link holds one round. Buying 1000 links is just buying 1000 one round magazines. You just can’t string more than 10 of them together in California. It doesn’t matter when you bought them. Non-disintegrating belts - cloth belts for Maxims and Vickers, and non- disintegrating belts such as for the RPG, SG43, PKM, MG34/42/3 etc., cannot legally be brought in unless they are cut/ broken down into 10 round sections because they hold more than 10 rounds in their original condition and are therefore considered “high capacity magazines” and are a felony to possess or import into the States. You can buy links all over the place and have them shipped in Cali, but you can’t do that with disintegrating belts.
Not necessarily. One link does hold one round. However, 11 links is what could be interpreted as a "high capacity kit". Back before the entire ban on importation and manufacture of hi cap mags when CA only banned the possession of the hi-caps, many people bought kits, or the individual parts claiming that they were "replacement" parts for existing mags. CA strengthend the rules to ban mag kits and any part necessary to make a high cap mag. So... what is needed to make an 11 round (illegal) belt? 11 individual links. Yes, I know it is picky, BUT there are sellers who refuse to send links into CA on that theory. And YES, I shoot longer belts (I linked before the year 2000) all the time. Sure, the risk is low, but.... not nonexistant. And as I said, with the guns you are looking for- shooting 10 rounds at a time is pointless. (I know - I have ALL of the ones you mentioned).

·
Registered
848 Posts
Not necessarily. One link does hold one round. However, 11 links is what could be interpreted as a "high capacity kit". Back before the entire ban on importation and manufacture of hi cap mags when CA only banned the possession of the hi-caps, many people bought kits, or the individual parts claiming that they were "replacement" parts for existing mags. CA strengthend the rules to ban mag kits and any part necessary to make a high cap mag. So... what is needed to make an 11 round (illegal) belt? 11 individual links. Yes, I know it is picky, BUT there are sellers who refuse to send links into CA on that theory. And YES, I shoot longer belts (I linked before the year 2000) all the time. Sure, the risk is low, but.... not nonexistant. And as I said, with the guns you are looking for- shooting 10 rounds at a time is pointless. (I know - I have ALL of the ones you mentioned).
Just like I said. You can buy 10,000 of them but you can’t have more than 10 linked together at one time. 11 is more than 10. As far as people who won’t ship links to Cali, there are just as many that will. Just like there are guys who won’t ship perfectly legal stuff to Cali because they don’t want to deal with the regulations, lists, and general BS. That’s a choice they are free to make and have every right to make. I spend my money elsewhere in those cases. As far as 10 rounds v however many, for me, 10 rounds is the law and that’s what I comply with. You are free to do whatever you want, and if you link 11 or 1000, that’s your business and the consequences are yours, too. I won’t dime drop you because don’t care what you do because I don’t see 11 round belt or 1100 round belts as a crime, but then I’m not California cop / d.a. / judge wanting to throw people in prison for those belts. It’s none of my business and it’s nothing I care about, so knock yourself out. Also, the “linked before 2000” stuff (as in grandfathered high capacity magazine) is completely invalid since the grandfathered magazine clause was deleted a few years ago. (Are you the guy I went around and around on that a while back...I trust you did not take me up on my challenge to walk into your regional DOJ office with 250 rounds of belted 7.62, ask to see an officer from the firearms branch, show him/ her your belted ammo and tell them it’s grandfathered in and see what happens). You would be on much more legally solid ground if you were to contend they were assembled during “ freedom week, “ at least until the 3rd US Court of Appeals rules on it.
With 10 round belts I have none of those worries, plus my ammo lasts a little longer. My main point is I don’t want to see some new guy (an assumption on my part), get jammed up on a felony charge and have his life ruined because he forgot about the flash hider or had an 11 round belt. Whether what you do is a conscious decision or an act of uninformed ignorance, the law here is a minefield and the consequences are severe and can last a lifetime.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Also, the “linked before 2000” stuff (as in grandfathered high capacity magazine) is completely invalid since the grandfathered magazine clause was deleted a few years ago.
Not to start a big discussion here since this is a WTB ad and not a legal discussion forum. BUT I had to reply to the erroneous post that is quoted here.

Presently CA residents do have legal use of grandfathered high capacity magazines. When Prop 63 was passed November 8, 2016 effectivley outlawing grandfathered magazines since it required one to surrender or remove them from the state by July 1, 2017. On July 1, 2017 possession of large-capacity magazine, regardless of acquisition date, was supposed to become illegal. However, Judge Benitez's (Federal District Court) preliminary injunction was June 29, 2017, two days before the law would become effective and which led to "Freedom week" for buying new high capacity mags. But a stay on the purchase of new mags was put in place pending Ninth Circuit appeal but all grandfather mags are still legal to own and use. The ninth circuit 3 judge panel upheld the lower court ruling but that ruling has also been appealed by CA State AG for a full 11 judge panel review, effectively putting Prop 63 on hold once more. Currently the 9th Circuit is sitting on this case pending the outcome of another case (Corlett) before addressing it. What all this means is that all grandfathered high capacity magazines are still legal to own and use in CA, at least until a decision is reached on the appeal.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I got a Wiselite M53. Also have a fin grip and faux flash cone(solid cone) to replace the flash hider. Let me know if your interested and check your dealers who can take the transfer.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Not to start a big discussion here since this is a WTB ad and not a legal discussion forum. BUT I had to reply to the erroneous post that is quoted here.

Presently CA residents do have legal use of grandfathered high capacity magazines. When Prop 63 was passed November 8, 2016 effectivley outlawing grandfathered magazines since it required one to surrender or remove them from the state by July 1, 2017. On July 1, 2017 possession of large-capacity magazine, regardless of acquisition date, was supposed to become illegal. However, Judge Benitez's (Federal District Court) preliminary injunction was June 29, 2017, two days before the law would become effective and which led to "Freedom week" for buying new high capacity mags. But a stay on the purchase of new mags was put in place pending Ninth Circuit appeal but all grandfather mags are still legal to own and use. The ninth circuit 3 judge panel upheld the lower court ruling but that ruling has also been appealed by CA State AG for a full 11 judge panel review, effectively putting Prop 63 on hold once more. Currently the 9th Circuit is sitting on this case pending the outcome of another case (Corlett) before addressing it. What all this means is that all grandfathered high capacity magazines are still legal to own and use in CA, at least until a decision is reached on the appeal.
Quite correct.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts