1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a Vickers Mk1 in 303, and am looking for 8mm parts (barrel, feed block, lock). Any have some they could part with? I'd also do 7.62x54r if someone has a complete conversion available.

Bryan

·
Registered
210 Posts
For the 8x57 conversion, SARCO used to have barrels. The only functional difference between an 8mm lock and a .303 lock is the extractor (vertically sliding part at the front of the lock). Occasionally, you see complete locks but look around and you can probably find an 8mm extractor. (If you are going to the SAR show in a few weeks in Phoenix there might be one there.) As to the feed block, good luck. They are out there and occasionally show up but it might be six months or more. Might post a WTB to see what happens. You cannot easily convert a .303 feed block to 8mm (i.e. 30-06 case head size). Once you see an original 8mm feed block, you'll see why.

As to the 7.62x54R conversion, talk to Bob Naess. He's a frequent contributor to this board and is a fine Vickers/Maxim 'smith with a wealth of knowledge and history about the guns. His web site is: http://www.blackrivermilitaria.com/ For the conversion, you'll need a 7.62x54R Maxim barrel (preferably Finnish mfg.), a good .303 feed block and a good lock (or at least an extractor for the lock). PK/PKM belts work with this conversion. The conversion works well. The 7.62x54R round has enough recoil that no booster is needed.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info, I did pick up a barrel from Sarco recently in 8mm, should have it in a few days. I am planning on going to the SAR show, I'll keep an eye out there.

I hear good things about Bob's conversions, I sent him an e-mail for more info. I've got a spare 54r Maxim barrel (I think it's Russian). Whats the difference in the Finnish produced barrels?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Thanks for the info, I did pick up a barrel from Sarco recently in 8mm, should have it in a few days. I am planning on going to the SAR show, I'll keep an eye out there.

I hear good things about Bob's conversions, I sent him an e-mail for more info. I've got a spare 54r Maxim barrel (I think it's Russian). Whats the difference in the Finnish produced barrels?
Finnish barrels are supposed to last longer. Better steel, maybe??? If that is the case, it costs $$$ to machine the barrel to Vickers' dimensions (turn down muzzle end and machine barrel trunnion "studs" (As I understand it, actually have to change centers on the studs because they are different vs a Maxim , so requires ability to grind the studs in an off-center manner). So, makes sense to use the best/longest lasting available.

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Oreo provided a very good summary on 8MM and 7.62x54R conversions. The feed blocks are not hard to find, just expensive. I believe they are all steel and are commonly found on the Turkish guns. The locks are the same and while it is true that you can put an 8MM extractor and gib on a standard .303 lock. In my experience, it is almost impossible to find just the 8MM extractor and gib in the wild.

Let us know the condition of the Sarco barrel when you get it. Hopefully you ordered the "better" grade ones.

As for 7.62x54R conversion, IMA and some of the board members have the Finish SA Maxim barrels for sale. Bob Naess does a nice job of converting those barrels, milling the .303 extractor, and re-profiling the .303 feed block. It is also possible to ream a .303 barrel to 7.62x54R and I believe Troy on this board still does it. The reaming of the barrel is a much more cost effective means of doing the conversion but I personally chose to buy a mint Maxim barrel and had Bob do his magic.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hopefully you ordered the "better" grade ones.
Thanks for the info. Yes ordered the VG... Will let you know.

IMA and some of the board members have the Finish SA Maxim barrels for sale
Good to know Finnish is preferred. I saw IMA had them, I guess I should pick one up and get it over to Bob for a 54R conversion. I'd still like to find a setup in 8mm (the waterjacket is marked for both 7.92/303) and I have quite a bit of 8mm on hand.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts