1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
As the title says...looking for one! Can PayPal right away, or? Must be complete and in good shape- prefer original wear and tear over a restored/repainted example. Shipping to CA.

Thanks!
Chad

·
Registered
4,954 Posts
Wasn't even away there was such a thing, now I need one more accessory to buy!!!:eek:
CaptMax

·
Registered
2,617 Posts

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Tripod Crates

I have never seen one in the US but you would have thought there would be a ton of them since IMA had all of those tripods (unless the tripods were shipped to the US loose). They go for about 50-100 GBP in the UK although they are not as common as a few years ago. Unfortunately the shipping from there makes them cost prohibitive unless you are shipping a bunch of parts inside of them.
Wall Furniture Box Brick Wood

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info. I have the gun transit chest already. I have heard the tripod chest is indeed rare.

·
Premium Member
3,289 Posts
Thanks for the info. I have the gun transit chest already. I have heard the tripod chest is indeed rare.
There are a few in the U.S. but I don't have one. I have the dimensions and pics if someone can build it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Picked up a Vickers tripod chest and a Vickers MG chest last weekend. Description on the chests suggest they are of Australian origin. The tripod chest will go to a museum next month because I have no need for it but can help you with the dimensions and additional pictures should you need them.

Regards, Jan

·
Registered
7,251 Posts
...were they used in WW1...?

A question for the Vickers guys....were the Vickers tripod chests used in WW1...? My 1917 carts and associated manuals show the Vickers Colt/Vickers gun being issued but no word on the tripod chest. I'd probably start a production run on them if I could verify their use in WW1. The first US troops sent to France in 1917 were issued the original .303 Vickers gun but later troops got the 30/06 Colt/Vickers.

·
Premium Member
3,289 Posts
See The GOL, page 506, plate 616. I quote, "The Chest, Vickers or Lewis .303 inch Guns, Mark II, introduced early in World War I and officially adopted on August 20, 1915 ...."

A question for the Vickers guys....were the Vickers tripod chests used in WW1...? My 1917 carts and associated manuals show the Vickers Colt/Vickers gun being issued but no word on the tripod chest. I'd probably start a production run on them if I could verify their use in WW1. The first US troops sent to France in 1917 were issued the original .303 Vickers gun but later troops got the 30/06 Colt/Vickers.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
vickers tripod transport chest

so this would be the rigth one gentlemen.....
just want to know iff i am searching in the right direction for these
tripods is kind of my thing overhere... lol
best regards, john.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
there was a tripod chest at the last RIA auction, it was what the Boys and other "anti-tank guns" parts were packed in. It was the first one I had ever seen in person.

·
Registered
173 Posts
so this would be the right one gentlemen.....
best regards, john.

View attachment 16173
Yes this is the one I'm familiar with..... I've had 2 of these in the past complete with the dividers, but ended up selling one to Ohio and one to Alaska - If I recall correctly I think the shipping was more than the $275 I charged for the crate !

If I come across any more I'll give first shot to the great members here....

·
Registered
112 Posts
The Vickers tripod chest/crates appear to be more for shipping than transporting. I say this because the Vickers and Bren transport chests are hinged and have lockable latches. The lids on these tripod chests are designed to be screwed on - not a handy feature in the field.

Regardless of their intended role, these are neat, and I would love to have an original. A good copy would be just as welcome and would probably cost less.

Anyway here is a PDF someone might find handy. Vickers Tripod transit box

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
The Vickers tripod chest/crates appear to be more for shipping than transporting. I say this because the Vickers and Bren transport chests are hinged and have lockable latches. The lids on these tripod chests are designed to be screwed on - not a handy feature in the field.

Regardless of their intended role, these are neat, and I would love to have an original. A good copy would be just as welcome and would probably cost less.

Anyway here is a PDF someone might find handy. Vickers Tripod transit box

Thanks for posting that up by the way. Very helpful. I see a Vickers in my future...

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Thanks for the PDF

1 - 19 of 19 Posts