1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok guys trying to find information and purchase a barrel bearing for a 45" water cooled M2. Apparently there must be three variations of barrel bushings out there. I am looking for one That has a inside diameter of around 1.700 " inches. I have checked all the normal sources and have come up empty. here some measurements and some pics for comparison and study purposes.

M2HB Barrel outside diameter at bushing area 1.920"
M2HB Bushing inside diameter 1.960

M2 water cooled 45" outside diameter at bushing area 1.660"
M2 water cooled 45" Bushing inside diameter ? ( around 1.700" ? )

I bought what I thought was a water cooled bushing but it turns out that it does NOT fit a water cooled 45" barrel
It measures 1.840 inside diameter and MIGHT be for a 36" water cooled M2 ?

The one on the left is smaller and measures 1.840" ID DOES NOT fit 45" water cooled M2
the one on the right is a normal M2HB and measures 1.960" ID
I am looking for one that measures approx 1.700" inches ID for my 45" water cooled M2
Product Auto part Metal Rim
Auto part Pipe Cylinder Tool accessory Transmission part
Auto part Cylinder Muffler Metal

·
Premium Member
6,956 Posts
Alan you may want to try Rick at BMG parts he is very knowledgeable on these, more so than most. Russ

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I might be wrong about all of this, I was measuring the area that rides in the back part of the trunion. after comparing the area where the barrel would ride in the barrel bushing it is even smaller ! I am seeing small wear area on the barrel where I think it would ride in the barrel bearing. Yay I am going to have to call Rick

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just talked to Rick we are both in the same boat, we both have only normal M2HB bearings and the 1.840" inch bearings. And the 1.840 he tried on a aircraft barrel, 1921 barrel, and his brand new M2 water cooled barrel and it does not fit on any of them. I lined up the trunion next to the water cooled barrel side by side as if the barrel was inside the trunion. Looking at the section where the barrel bearing is installed inside the trunion and seeing where at on the barrel it would ride the barrel at, that area measures approx 1.578 inches in diameter. Now to get past the front barrel sleeve when you install the barrel threw the trunion from behind with a barrel extension attached the inside barrel bearing diameter has to be greater than 1.567 inches. So the front barrel sleeve is smaller than the barrel at the bearing area. So there is a approx .040" inch difference in the OD of a M2HB barrel and the ID of its bearing. So I can reason the Approx ID of the bearing I am looking for is 1.578" plus .040" = 1.618 inches

If anyone out there has a water cooled 45" complete MG your input and information would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
ajmdreammg42

·
Registered
91 Posts
Question about this ? is there not a packing that goes in to the bushing therefore the bushing would be oversize ? I don't know any thing about how these go together just curious.
Wow that's going to be a great gun. I got to shoot one year before last at the OFAST shoot, it was awesome.
There is a Colt MG58 on GB right now I would love to have.

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,239 Posts
Are we talking about the gland that is threaded into the trunnion? If so, i think the old drawing number is B8922, though I am not sure if that's the 36" or the 45" version. Probably the 36, and I do not know if the diameter is the same or not. Maybe you can ask Gatekeeper if she has that drawing. At least that would confirm the specs you need.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Question about this ? is there not a packing that goes in to the bushing therefore the bushing would be oversize ? I don't know any thing about how these go together just curious.
Wow that's going to be a great gun. I got to shoot one year before last at the OFAST shoot, it was awesome.
There is a Colt MG58 on GB right now I would love to have.

It's the barrel BEARING in front of the trunion that I am looking for, is does not have a packing in it. There are two bushings/bearing that have packings. One in the very front that has (I believe ) three packings and has grooves for it inside the water jacket front end section. Then one in the very back of the barrel itself. that rides in the trunion right under the feed way area. It has a adjustable collar to tighten the packing. I believe you can see it in the pictures above, The bearing I am looking for is the one the screws into the front of the trunion and locks in with a set screw.

yes this will be a great gun SOME DAY, been collecting M2 parts for more than 10 years, but I am a little warped in the head cause I am trying to build about 13 of them, 10 M2HB, 2 M3"s and one water cooled. :D

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Are we talking about the gland that is threaded into the trunnion? If so, i think the old drawing number is B8922, though I am not sure if that's the 36" or the 45" version. Probably the 36, and I do not know if the diameter is the same or not. Maybe you can ask Gatekeeper if she has that drawing. At least that would confirm the specs you need.
Yes I am talking about the Gland/bearing/bushing that is threaded into the front of the trunion, Like on a normal M2. I will PM Gatekeeper for help, Thanks Rollin

Allan

·
Registered
91 Posts
It's the barrel BEARING in front of the trunion that I am looking for, is does not have a packing in it. There are two bushings/bearing that have packings. One in the very front that has (I believe ) three packings and has grooves for it inside the water jacket front end section. Then one in the very back of the barrel itself. that rides in the trunion right under the feed way area. It has a adjustable collar to tighten the packing. I believe you can see it in the pictures above, The bearing I am looking for is the one the screws into the front of the trunion and locks in with a set screw.

yes this will be a great gun SOME DAY, been collecting M2 parts for more than 10 years, but I am a little warped in the head cause I am trying to build about 13 of them, 10 M2HB, 2 M3"s and one water cooled. :D
OK I was not sure where or how the water gland worked as for being warped in the head I have the same issues 5 or 6 builds started and then something else comes up so i can never get one done all the way. I did get an M2 finished still tweaking on it and need to park it.
May newest addition was the DSHK 38 I bought from RB that's one I will get done it is just to awesome to not have it working again. I have started on it going to make it .50 BMG semi.
Still need a water cooled gun so that is on the list.

Good luck hope you find your part I am going to a shoot this weekend and there will be a guy there that knows about those guns and I will ask him if he has anything if so I will pass it on to you.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I think this will help..

Yes I am talking about the Gland/bearing/bushing that is threaded into the front of the trunion, Like on a normal M2. I will PM Gatekeeper for help, Thanks Rollin

Allan
Hi Allan,
I did get your PM and replied in kind. I have two revisions of B8922 and I sent them both to your email address. I think the dimension you need is "1.578 +.003". Here are the drawings to share with everyone else.

Here is revision one

As you can see this breech gland pertains to the 50 BMG M2WC (FXDN), (Flex) and (FXD) machine guns.

I hope this helps.

Gatekeeper

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Need picture posted page 104 figure 87 of TM-1225

Thank You so much gatekeeper !!! The "gland" looks nothing like the "barrel bearing" from a M2HB. after studying the drawings for a couple of days I am still wondering , WHAT is the gear teeth for ? there is no gear teeth inside the trunion ? . Also I guess I measured the barrel at the right point cause the drawing even has the 1.578 dimension I mentioned before. I hope someone out there has one for sale :help: cause I have never seen one of these before and I bet they are rarer than hens teeth. I did find I think another part number for it here
http://www.pt103.com/Browning_50_Cal_M2_History.html
its B8920 and l need to find a copy of TM-1225. ( I only have TM-226) I believe there is a picture of it on page 104 figure 87
any body got that training manual ? I am going to look for one to buy- gland and TM

Thanks
Allan

·
Registered
91 Posts
.50 water cooled parts

There was a guy at the shoot this weekend who had the long barrel water cooled .50 he has had other ones there in the past as well. That was one nice gun
I asked him about the part you are looking for and he did not seem to optimistic about someone having one laying around somewhere. I will look to see if I got any pics of his gun, I think I was overwhelmed by all the stuff there that I may not have pics of that one.
Sorry I know my info. doesn't help any.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
There was a guy at the shoot this weekend who had the long barrel water cooled .50 he has had other ones there in the past as well. That was one nice gun
I asked him about the part you are looking for and he did not seem to optimistic about someone having one laying around somewhere. I will look to see if I got any pics of his gun, I think I was overwhelmed by all the stuff there that I may not have pics of that one.
Sorry I know my info. doesn't help any.
Thanks Buckman for trying. There are a few other members here also in the same boat no bearing/gland I think we have to find a owner of a original gun and get them to verify this part exists ! :help:

·
Registered
91 Posts
Thanks Buckman for trying. There are a few other members here also in the same boat no bearing/gland I think we have to find a owner of a original gun and get them to verify this part exists ! :help:
I will see if I can get the guys contact info.all I know is I think he is from AZ. But I think I can get his info. If I do I will pass it on to you.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks again buckman I am at a dead end with out getting information from a owner of a original gun. I would think there would HAVE to be a gland /bearing/bushing in the front section of the trunion yet the TM=225 and TM-1225 does not show it. :banghead:

·
Registered
272 Posts
Trunnion Bearing was not used on the M2 Water-Cooled

Alan,

ORD 9 SNL A-37 (Browning M2 Water-Cooled) does not list a Trunnion Barrel Bearing. The drawings in the SNL also do not show a Trunnion Barrel Bearing.

TM 9-226 (Browning M2 Water-Cooled) does not list a Trunnion Barrel Bearing. The drawings in the TM also do not show a Trunnion Barrel Bearing.
(NOTE: Don't be confused by TM 9-1225 or TM 9 2021, as these manuals include the M2HB and ANM2 .50 and include the Barrel Bearing)

TM 9-226, Page 20, first paragraph: "The outside diameter of these rings (rear packing), and the barrel shoulder act as the rear bearing point of the barrel, which reciprocates in the forward end of the trunnion block".

It would seem as a M2 Barrel Bearing does not provide a function in the water-cooled model. It can be installed or removed without effecting the operation of the gun, other than making a good thread protector.

I hope this answers the question.

Rick

1 - 20 of 22 Posts