1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Watercooled Addict
2,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys. I am looking for a 1917a1/1919 bottom plate that is milled instead of cast. I am working on a blue gun and the cast ones come out of the blueing tank red. The easiest way to tell is by looking at the u shaped cutout in the bottom front of the plate. On the milled ones the edges will appear sharp and on the cast ones the edges resemble sand. I am willing to buy, or I have a cast one I am willing to trade along with cash. I have some other 1919 parts as well if you need anything. Let me know what we can work out.
Thanks,
John

·
Registered
37 Posts
Unfortunately, I don't have a bottom plate for you. I do have a suggestion that might help. KGI makes a product called Gun Kote. It's now available in a "blued" color that looks just like bluing. On a bottom plate you'd likely never see the difference. Just an option for you if you're unsuccessful. If you want to see what it looks like, I could send you a sample the next time I coat something.

Chris

·
Registered
901 Posts
Try Dave at sarco. He will pick one for you. GPC is also an option but it's pot luck. I got a RIA bottom plate from OOW. You might try them. It's not listed so you'll have to call.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
jmann said:
Guys. I am looking for a 1917a1/1919 bottom plate that is milled instead of cast. I am working on a blue gun and the cast ones come out of the blueing tank red. The easiest way to tell is by looking at the u shaped cutout in the bottom front of the plate. On the milled ones the edges will appear sharp and on the cast ones the edges resemble sand. I am willing to buy, or I have a cast one I am willing to trade along with cash. I have some other 1919 parts as well if you need anything. Let me know what we can work out.
Thanks,
John

I had the same problem with my blued 1919 project. I spent all my spare time last winter putting a mirror polish on the damn thing only to have the cast parts come out of the tank the ugliest red/purple I have ever seen. Brownells sells a salts additive thats designed for cast '94 Winchester recievers and the like thats supposed to stop this. Its around a hundred bucks.

I wound up needing to get the gun finished so I just black parked it over a a light muratic etch . It wound up looking pretty presentable after I buffed a little surface park build up off.

If you would like to see how it turned out I can send you pics of it.

I'd still like to hot blue one if the milled bottom plates are available. I know the 1917 backplates blue nicely. The only thing I can think of for the trunnion would be to hard chrome it. And that might look pretty damn cool.

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,161 Posts
Guys,

I just noticed that Dan at Angola Armory added RIA bottom plates to his web page. Looks like they will have the usual light grinding marks, but I believe the RIA ones should be all milled. Far as I know, Saginaw is the only one who cast their bottom plates. http://www.angolaarmory.com/1919a4.html

1 - 7 of 7 Posts