1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Starting to collect for my 1919 now that I'm happy with my b.a.r. collection. Looking for a wwii mfg m1 ammo box in vg excellent condition. Original finish and intact rubber a must.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Most of the nice ones I have I found on Ebay, have you looked there?

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Been looking there. Either over priced, or repainted and or rusted. Tried a couple other search terms and landed a nice reeves one, with intact seal for just under $40 shipped.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
If you find a nice M1 can and the seal needs to be replaced, read this thread: http://1919a4.com/showthread.php?31...er-Gaskets-for-WWII-Era-M1-Steel-Ammo-Box-Can

I used the info supplied by 174th gunner and got some 3M Marine Sealer #5200 to rebuild the gasket on a really nice M1 can. But, if you use this stuff, make sure the sealer dries completely and totally prior to trying the lid. Wait a few days, at minimum, prior to clasping the lid down on the can. If by accident #5200 seals the lid to the can, you will never, ever, get them apart.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
If you find a nice M1 can and the seal needs to be replaced, read this thread: http://1919a4.com/showthread.php?31...er-Gaskets-for-WWII-Era-M1-Steel-Ammo-Box-Can

I used the info supplied by 174th gunner and got some 3M Marine Sealer #5200 to rebuild the gasket on a really nice M1 can. But, if you use this stuff, make sure the sealer dries completely and totally prior to trying the lid. Wait a few days, at minimum, prior to clasping the lid down on the can. If by accident #5200 seals the lid to the can, you will never, ever, get them apart.

Yes this type of sealer and others that will replace the original gasket if it was the original "sealing compound" gasket. Some really good M1 boxes have terible gaskets. Only a very few M1 boxes actually had rubber gaskets. The only ones I have seen were all made by Owens IL Can Co and only about half of the ones from that company were rubber. Others may have seen some by other makers. Not that the rubber gaskets will be that good either after 70 years.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got my can today, and is excellent. This little tide bit was inside. .. makes me want to find some Utah ordnance mfg ammo

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
It might be kind of difficult to find any ammo made by the Utah Ordnance plant as it was one of six plants closed in the last six months of 1943. It seems the military had over estimated the need for small arms ammo. The North African campaign had used far less ammo than estimated and one ordnance official declared they had "ammunition comming out of their ears". Even the plants that were not closed cut way back in production and some converted from small arms ammo to artillery.

Interesting to find the paper in the box. Most of the time you are lucky to have lot numbers on the M1 box. Just today I was looking at a couple of my M2 .50 caliber boxes and found a piece of paper in one. That box had been used to ship 21,000 primers for 7.62 NATO ammo and had a slip called "FD FORM 057" DATED 25 MAR 1964 with the following statement:

"THE MATERIAL PACKED HERIN HAS BEEN 100% EXAMINED AND CONTAINS NO LIVE ROUNDS,
LIVE PRIMERS, EXPLOSIVES OR EXTRANEOUS MATERIAL"

It had the printed name and signature of the person who examined it and guess what I found rattling around in the bottom, a live primer.

By the way that slip of paper you found was probably the only way they could identify the lot number of the ammo in the box because they did not add the lot number to the outside of the box until after WWII. I only have one of those early boxes. They tell the type of ammo in the box but no lot number.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks to a more than generous board member, who donated 60 Utah ordnance plant rounds on a belt my display is coming along nicely :)

·
Premium Member
6,915 Posts
Hey Matt it looks like the hunt is paying off now you just need the general purpose ammo bag to hold that 30 can to complete that part of the display. Yes one more thing to spend money on lol good luck with that :tongue:

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
I have a few GP ammo bags. Certainly not mint but absolutely real and currently holding ammo cans. They are the best thing for transporting ammo to the range. They actually work really well without the can, just 250 rds stuffed into the bag. j

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If it's the bag I think it is, I may already have one I've been using to carry spare bar mags while doing wwii reenactments

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Its funny when after screwing with DubDubToo stuff for so long, you figure out how an ammo can fits so perfectly in one. Never see pics of it like that but surely that's no coincidence.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
I may be wrong but I believe the bag for carrying the ammo box was developed originally for the trial model ammo box (known as a chest) and called the T4 Chest . The minutes of the ordnance committee that approved the T4 mention that a "non-expendable bag" was to be issued to carry the box. The T4 did not have a carrying handle apparently to cut the cost and needed a means to carry it. The bag apparently carried over to the M1 box.The military is kind of funny that way. A metal box is expandable but a cloth bag is not. In the military we had a "carpenters tool kit" all the tools in it were expendable but the chest itself and the fabric "apron construction workers" was not as it was a different category of material. Of course in war time everything became expendable.

·
Premium Member
6,915 Posts
somewhere at home I have a picture of a 30 crew with two of these bags and you can tell the cans were in them I will try and dig it out and post it when I get home in November. I have a couple of them and they look great hanging of the jeep and like Dolf always says " it was a field expedient use" during the war, soldiers grabbed whatever and figured out a use for it and let's face it if it were us ammo would be the first thing we would figure out an easier way to carry more of :D

·
Registered
391 Posts
I have a few GP ammo bags. Certainly not mint but absolutely real and currently holding ammo cans. They are the best thing for transporting ammo to the range. They actually work really well without the can, just 250 rds stuffed into the bag. j
Can you post a pic of it please

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
That particular bag is a reproduction from At The Front but yes, that is the GP ammo bag. It should have a sheeting cloth divider inside. Best danged bag as far as I am concerned. j

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
yeah thats the one I got ($5 at a reenactor swap meet) very handy for bar mags when have no assistant bar man :p

·
Premium Member
6,915 Posts
Yup that's the beast and they are handy as heck with or without the box. They were used for just about everything the guys could put in them and they are real handy for tall mags like the grease gun and thompsons. You can usually find them on epay for 25-40.00 or repops cheaper.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts