1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got what I guess is a post war mech (maybe m122 type??).

looking for a wwii style to throw on my tripod. Could trade current +cash for one or buy outright.

thanks
matt

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
??? Looks like one of mine. Why M122? My later T&E has a laminated elevation wheel and grenade ring style pin retainer ring. The chain in your pic is odd but the rest looks kosher to me. j

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm pics ive seen look different, thus why I figured was post war ect.. could be wrong as im no where NEAR as versed to 1919 things, as am to 1918a2 things. If is correct,then ill keep this and look for a correct chain, as someone mentioned the chain was odd too.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
The three types I see most often are the knurled round wheels, the finger groove wheels like yours and the toothy laminated style. My T&E like yours is the best one I have. It has a flaming bomb on it somewhere, I forget. I bought an M122 tripod that came with a T&E and M60 adapter with blue training paint on it and it was the toothy laminate style. J

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
My guess would be early WWII as I have some experience with M122 (M60 tripods) and never saw a pin like that. Actually most M60 T&E had a pin with a "C" clip on the end and no ring to pull it out or a chain fastened to it.The pin appears to have a drawing number beginning with "B". That would make it early WWII as later in the war they changed the drawing numbers to all numbers and eliminated the letters. However there seem to be exceptions as some makers used the newer drawing number with all numbers but also inexplicably included the letter on some items. The pin that most of us are familiar with has the part number 5174113. Part numbers were taken directly from drawing numbers without the letters. Prior to the change the same pin was A174113 or A174113A. The letter was the designation of the size of the drawing only.

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,236 Posts
I'll have to double check details about the pin and chain. However, that elevating wheel with the finger grooves is one of the earlier style from WWII era. Also, Armorer is absolutely right on the B drawing number, definitely war period. When they dropped the letter sizes, they also added one or two digits to the drawing number. A 5, 50, 55, 6, 60, etc, depending on the original number. Early parts with four digit drawing numbers would have had a 50 or 55 or such added, while a longer number might just get a single digit. There was some rule to this I think, but I don't know exactly what determined a 5 or a 6 series added number. Might have been just sequential, just not sure.

Also, at some point they did eliminate the chain, and with it the loop that is integral to the yoke. No clue what year that was, but well after the war I believe. Same on the M3 T&E.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Know I said it before, but I love this site :D. The info avaliable is astounding. Thanks for info guys. Is there a way to get the windage knob on it to get positive clicks again? Seems mushy and moves easily.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
The chain was still used with the .30 cal T&E and is still listed in TM 9-1005-212-25 dated June 1969 as part number 5141460 Chain and swivel (at one time there was a swivel in the middle of the chain and I believe it was eliminated later as they also list another chain as an alternate chain assembly.). An earlier TM from 1965 lists only one chain (no swivel).

The M122 T&E did not have the chain or any method to attach it to the T&E as the pin was not supposed to be removed in normal use. I believe some T&Es that were used with the M60 were adapted from earlier .30 caliber T&Es and may have still had the loop (just speculation).

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My chain has the swivel part, was trying to find info on it as few people said they think wasn't wwii.

·
Premium Member
6,019 Posts
Matt that is WWII, the pin is the later style with the ring. The earlier ones had the pin and loop all cast out of one piece but both styles were WWII :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts