1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Multiple times in the last month, I've bid on items on GB, then had them cancelled or clearly bid up by an acquaintance of the lister (e.g., no reserve, 1k start with similar items selling with a buy it now of 3k. Bids only get it to 1.8k and suddenly it is either cancelled or ends with a bid of 5k.

Isn't the point of an auction a commitment to sell? That's happened to me ~50% of my auction bids in the past month. Maybe happened once on Ebay. This is in decades of use. Seems there are some cretins out there among us gun owners.

OK. Done with my rant.

·
11,448 Posts
ebay fees are way higher. 15-20% gunbroker is like 5%
eating 5% if the sellers price was not realized is easier to handle than 20%

if it shows $5,000 that means it sold.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Gunbroker will not allow an auction to be cancelled after there is a bid.

The point of an auction is to maximize selling price and/ or sell in a short time. The point isn’t commitment, that’s what marriage and BIN pricing is for.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Similar has happened to me recently. I bid on a Martini rifle and there was no other bidder until 2 hours before it ended and I was out bid by a NR bidder who crept the bid up until it was over what I had put on it which was very high. 2 weeks later the item was relisted by the same seller and it got no bids untill the last day and I bid on it but hundreds lower than I had bid before and got out bid almost imediatly by the same NR bidder who must have thought I had bid the same or higher as they got past me on the first bid. That same Martini has been listed several times since by the same seller but its ended with out any bids.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Here is how you 'game the system' in Gunbroker: Gunbroker has a "NPB" (non-paying bidder) process where you can have the fees waived provided you immediately re-list the item. I've seen shill bidding fail (shill bid is high bid at auction end) (you always see the seller claim in the re-listed auction notes that the high bidder didn't pay) and the item re-listed and go again. I'd wager that a fair amount of times it is shill bidding that didn't work out, but they can just claim NPB and not pay the fees and try their little scam again.

I've seen lots of BS on Gunbroker this year, much more than in the 10 years I've been a member. There is ZERO scrutiny and oversight on GB. Their Buyer's Protection is bullsh!t. There is no customer support.

The best way to protect yourself is decide what you are willing to pay for something. Bid that amount. Don't bid again. If someone bids over you, they wanted it more or were willing to pay (or bleed) more than you were. Fine. If you get suckered into a bidding war, it's your own fault.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Similar has happened to me recently. I bid on a Martini rifle and there was no other bidder until 2 hours before it ended and I was out bid by a NR bidder who crept the bid up until it was over what I had put on it which was very high. 2 weeks later the item was relisted by the same seller and it got no bids until the last day and I bid on it but hundreds lower than I had bid before and got out bid almost immediately by the same NR bidder who must have thought I had bid the same or higher as they got past me on the first bid. That same Martini has been listed several times since by the same seller but its ended with out any bids.
But the good thing is that you know what your ceiling is and stick to it!

It's interesting that they did it to you twice.

·
11,448 Posts
their NPB process is terrible. I've had a few and its always difficult to actually get the funds in return.

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
their NPB process is terrible. I've had a few and its always difficult to actually get the funds in return.
I've had to use it a few times over the years but I've never had a problem with it. I think it has been 1-2 years since the last time I had a NPB though

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
I know someone who listed a $50,000.00 MG and cancelled the auction when they were better informed about the NFA process. GB actually invoiced them on the auction that was ended with no bids that only ran one day! They tried repeatedly to contact GB with no success (20+ tries). I advised them to delete the CC from their GB account and cancel the card and have another re-issued.

Absolutely ridiculous that GB continues to operate like that.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
GB support is very slooooow, I had to deal with them once and everything worked out like I expected it to but it took weeks.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I sell a lot of industrial surplus on eBay and their rates are about 10%, and even less on high priced items. Then PayPal normally dings you another 3 or 4% unless you get the buyer to wire you the money.
Steve

·
11,448 Posts
I sell a lot of industrial surplus on eBay and their rates are about 10%, and even less on high priced items. Then PayPal normally dings you another 3 or 4% unless you get the buyer to wire you the money.
Steve
its different for each category and price level. then they make other changes that increase the fees for the sometime type seller.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
i,m selling for several years on GB now, iff i do start something with a no reserve, so be it, i recently sold stuff that only brought me a selling price of 1 dollar
most of my auctions i do have a fixed price, what infact works best for me,
in all honesty i need to say that i have had high priced items that were up for several months, and after trying to sell them for months, i recieved an offer
from a potential buyer, iff i think the offer is ok for me, i do cancel such an auction, BUT, only with special stuff that runned for weeks/ months
even right now, i have a few NO reserve auction in witch i offer some original armalite AR10 manuels, one for the rifle and one for the used scope on the AR10
i can say i have more money in, then the bids are at right now, thats the risq you need to take iff selling items with a no reserve
recently i do see a large movement from people used buying on ebay, that now start buying on gunbroker
i can tell you right now, that results in more deadbidders then iv,e had in the past 10 years, lott,s of NR bidders, and no payment after they won an auction...

·
Registered
85 Posts
i,m selling for several years on GB now, iff i do start something with a no reserve, so be it, i recently sold stuff that only brought me a selling price of 1 dollar
most of my auctions i do have a fixed price, what infact works best for me,
in all honesty i need to say that i have had high priced items that were up for several months, and after trying to sell them for months, i recieved an offer
from a potential buyer, iff i think the offer is ok for me, i do cancel such an auction, BUT, only with special stuff that runned for weeks/ months
even right now, i have a few NO reserve auction in witch i offer some original armalite AR10 manuels, one for the rifle and one for the used scope on the AR10
i can say i have more money in, then the bids are at right now, thats the risq you need to take iff selling items with a no reserve
recently i do see a large movement from people used buying on ebay, that now start buying on gunbroker
i can tell you right now, that results in more deadbidders then iv,e had in the past 10 years, lott,s of NR bidders, and no payment after they won an auction...
What is your name on gunbroker?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Similar has happened to me recently. I bid on a Martini rifle and there was no other bidder until 2 hours before it ended and I was out bid by a NR bidder who crept the bid up until it was over what I had put on it which was very high. 2 weeks later the item was relisted by the same seller and it got no bids untill the last day and I bid on it but hundreds lower than I had bid before and got out bid almost imediatly by the same NR bidder who must have thought I had bid the same or higher as they got past me on the first bid. That same Martini has been listed several times since by the same seller but its ended with out any bids.

How many feedbacks did this seller have???

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
would have to agree - a lot more no paying buyers - on GB and on the boards- 20-30% of the contacts to buy items are flaking out and dropping off the edge of the world. much worse now a days....

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
I seem to always get snaked on gunbroker too. Frustrating, I’ll have the winning bid for a week then 5 min to the end someone outbids me. I’m sure some a$$hole always has his friend bidding it up. Pisses me off.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I seem to always get snaked on gunbroker too. Frustrating, I’ll have the winning bid for a week then 5 min to the end someone outbids me. I’m sure some a$$hole always has his friend bidding it up. Pisses me off.
Sorry that could of been me. 🤣🤣🤣

I always wait until the last 16 minutes. Basically one minute before the 15 minute count down.

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
There appears to be an unusually high amount of bullsheet going on at GB lately. Ive been watching (and bidding) and auctions will go into overtime, only to be eventually 'won' by someone with no feedback. I think GB is becoming as main stream as ebay now and sellers are acting shady to try and maximize their profits. K98's are super hot right now, for a while there I was involved in at least one action per week and every one of them ended under questionable circumstances.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I was burn't once on GB paid for a item and never received it seller never sent it and GB was no help at all. Since then I always check the feedback, I have had 1 NPB and action fees were returned but it didn't sell for as much as the next bider bid. It would be nice if they had a system to offer it to the last bidder before the NPB. Ebay is just as bad or worse on recourse if item is not received. Been burt there on a couple things, I pretty much stay away from Ebay.
Greg

1 - 20 of 41 Posts