1919 A4 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Only FNGs bid early on high end items. Serious collectors with cash bid at the end.

A serious bidding war usually only happens between tier 2 buyers who see red. That’s what sellers pray for. But the only way to get them hyped up is a low starting bid

However not many auctions turn into the miracle bidding war and fizzle out so the seller has their buddy win it, and eats the GB fee. GB doesn’t care because they got the money.

GB does indeed though watch for sellers with repeated shill bids and non payment, and they will kick people off. In fact, GB has booted every winner that didn’t pay me. So that’s why you see NR winners- those are shill accounts, burner accounts, to shill bid, win, and not pay. If you see this repeatedly complain, GB can’t catch them all and will kick them out.

That’s why you don’t have your buddy shill bid and win then complain about non payment- they will close his account. GB takes non payment seriously, there is no warning or excuses- they will boot non paying buyers for one transgression.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Glad it's not just me seeing this. In fairness I did just buy a pistol on there from a NR seller, but only after some background sleuthing. He sent me a tracking number today. Will know on thursday if it is a brick. As for the other experiences, I tweaked my numbers a bit. The one that really ground my gears was an SWD M11 for 9k that I waited till the last day to bid, put it in, went to 9.5, buy it now of 12.5k. Somehow it went to a 50k bid (beyond the buy it now). Since I had asked the seller some questions before this, I emailed him and asked what's up with this. He responded that he had sold it locally - essentially admitted to having a shill bidder bid it to a crazy price. Never had this problem on there before this year. Certainly not to this extent. Edit to note: I don't get why he would bid it some high, or maybe he changed the price and then cancelled it? Never seen this before.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
I was burn't once on GB paid for a item and never received it seller never sent it and GB was no help at all. Since then I always check the feedback, I have had 1 NPB and action fees were returned but it didn't sell for as much as the next bider bid. It would be nice if they had a system to offer it to the last bidder before the NPB. Ebay is just as bad or worse on recourse if item is not received. Been burt there on a couple things, I pretty much stay away from Ebay.
Greg
Its been a while since you've done business on Ebay ,hasnt it? They made some huge changes about 4 years ago and they now have AMAZING buyer and more reasonable seller protection.

I sold a motorcycle on ebay. Buyer was a scam, ebay cancelled listing fees and refunded within 72 hours of my notification.

I had some motorcycle parts get stuck in transit. Post office was no help. Ebay worked with seller and refunded me full price within 72 hours.

I had a deadbeat shipper who was bullsheeting me over a 26 dollar tool. After 1 month of dealing with seller, Ebay stepped in and gave me a full refund. (and seller eventually shipped me 2x product)

Ive done about 450 transactions on ebay and have only had less than a handfull of bad experiences. I love ebay because its a simple process. Buy now, click to pay. Its secure and virtually seamless.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Actually it was this year paid for the item (Vickers belts) seller said it was shipped via USPS provided a third party shipping conformation that said it was delivered ( not USPS confirmation ) it was not. Filled a claim they said seller showed it was delivered case closed. I was home the day it was said to be delivered it was not in my mail box as stated (medium flat rate box won't fit in my mail box) and it was not on my porch. In 30+ years never had a package or anything else stolen from my property.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Edit to note: I don't get why he would bid it some high, or maybe he changed the price and then cancelled it? Never seen this before.

He had a shill bidder put that high a bid to stop bidding. A seller can't change the price, the seller can't cancel an auction once there is a bid- see what I wrote before.

Simple- somebody cut him a side deal, he had a shill account and put a huge bid up nobody would complain about, then he filed a non paying buyer complaint with GB and got his money back from GB. Happens all the time. The deal was probably for about the BIN price, but free shipping or something. Some sellers are more than happy to cut side deals to cut out GB. I have buyers trying to buy outside of GB, without any attempt to re-negotiate the price- doesn't do them any good, costs them the same.

Note that GB refund of non paying buyer fees typically takes a whopping three months, sometimes it takes pushing them with messages.

If you see an obvious shill win, flag it to GB. They'll watch the seller.

I need to reiterate though- high value collectibles don't get real bids till the last 15 minutes. Being outbid isn't typically shill bidders. Shill bidders are used when an auction DOESN'T meet the seller's expectations, thus avoiding selling too low; and used to incite other buyers to outbid the shill. I've done the latter to a particular fraud seller on GB- if I see he's bidding on something, I'll drive the price up as much as I dare; sometimes I end up buying it, most of the time I just make sure he pays more.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Actually it was this year paid for the item (Vickers belts) seller said it was shipped via USPS provided a third party shipping conformation that said it was delivered ( not USPS confirmation ) it was not. Filled a claim they said seller showed it was delivered case closed. I was home the day it was said to be delivered it was not in my mail box as stated (medium flat rate box won't fit in my mail box) and it was not on my porch. In 30+ years never had a package or anything else stolen from my property.
Yeah man, that sucks. Contractually the sellers obligation to you ends the minute they put it in the hands of the post office (UPS, FEDEX, whatever). Most my purchases on ebay are with large dealers with large volume items so they dont want to risk bad feedback over a small item. The motorcycle parts I mentioned were a few hundred bucks, the seller technically wasnt liable, but because UPS never delivered, I was able to make a claim. Sorry your stuff got stolen, thats really becoming a problem in some places.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Yeah man, that sucks. Contractually the sellers obligation to you ends the minute they put it in the hands of the post office (UPS, FEDEX, whatever). Most my purchases on ebay are with large dealers with large volume items so they dont want to risk bad feedback over a small item. The motorcycle parts I mentioned were a few hundred bucks, the seller technically wasnt liable, but because UPS never delivered, I was able to make a claim. Sorry your stuff got stolen, thats really becoming a problem in some places.
That was the **** thing about it, it was not stolen it was not delivered at least not to my house.

·
11,444 Posts
There appears to be an unusually high amount of bullsheet going on at GB lately. Ive been watching (and bidding) and auctions will go into overtime, only to be eventually 'won' by someone with no feedback. I think GB is becoming as main stream as ebay now and sellers are acting shady to try and maximize their profits. K98's are super hot right now, for a while there I was involved in at least one action per week and every one of them ended under questionable circumstances.
So I should look at moving my k98s?
Anything I should know. Love them but don’t love them that much if super expensive now

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Could have been me too- I never bid on anything I want until the time clock is close to the end. bidding before that is waste of time. I know what I will pay, and if someone else bid it over my limit, I am out. On the other hand, I rarely place a bid for my full on "best & last offer" to keep from being run up. there is an entire psychology of auction bidding that I won't go into here but I have watched live and online auctions now for about 40 years, and developed my own process for it. It does involve not biding on an item until the end..... after the posers have dropped out and you know the serious guys are still in. Otherwise it runs the price up. And yes, I have seen auctions with shill bidders, and if I think that is going on I run it up, but let them win. However - it there is a clock reset lik on GB, waiting to snipe an item at 10 sec left is a stupid strategy and tells me the other bidder has no idea what is going on. Keep in mind that egay time out has a lot of folks sniping in bids and there used to be an online program to send sniper like bids automatically - never used it but got bitten a few times where I lost an item I wanted at the 3 sec mark....

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Anything I should know. Love them but don’t love them that much if super expensive now

I sold all my K98s three years ago because prices had increased drastically, even on Russian Captures. Of course, the prices have almost doubled since then.

K98s I think will increase in price because it's the only "affordable" WW2 German small arm available and as unconstitutional laws are enacted restricting certain rifles and magazines, people are figuring the K98 is just as good as a neutered AR15. On the former, G43s are arguably affordable at $2500 (though the K98 is more affordable at $600); everything else is in kit form, with MG34, MG42, and MP44 all over $4000; even decent MP40 kits have breached $3000. So younger enthusiasts of WW2 German arms have one option- the K98. And, despite the clamor of youth for AR15s, there are more youthful K98 buyers now than there ever were.

GETTING BACK ON TOPIC...as noted, some claims concerning how GB operations are erroneous. If one is trying to understand why things happen, why one loses auctions, why shill bidders are employed, one must understand what is actually happening- and what is NOT happening. Once one has a firm grasp of the environment then one can anticipate outcomes.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Anything you bought to sell for a profit you should sell now. Election years are always great for guns and ammo sales but I’ve never seen anything like what’s going on now. I sold a WASR10 for $980.00, MAK90 for $1,150.00 and a SLR95 for $1,400.00. Hell even Mosins are sky high. Also there are more NR bidders on GunBroker because there are record numbers of new gun owners this year. The high bids from NR bidders are mostly legit.

·
11,444 Posts
Anything you bought to sell for a profit you should sell now.
there is nothing I have now that was purchased for a profit engagement. But things I’ve grown tired of. My Mosin coffee table with 20 rifles in it was really funny when I got it. Now I just don’t care as much about it.

I’d love to trade it in to the bulk of a premay something else

·
Registered
521 Posts
there is nothing I have now that was purchased for a profit engagement. But things I’ve grown tired of. My Mosin coffee table with 20 rifles in it was really funny when I got it. Now I just don’t care as much about it.

I’d love to trade it in to the bulk of a premay something else
I remember when you offered the crate of Mosins, I still kick myself for not getting a crate of them. There were some real gems found in those imports.

·
11,444 Posts
i paid 1100 shipped for that crate. i wish i would have gotten a few. but they are a pain to move!

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
YES.

Throw your Russian captures on GB for 850. If you have any all matching guns, take good pics and sell them for 2000-2500. Guys have COVID fever right now. Many of them have more brains than money and have done exactly 36 seconds of research......and they are paying top price for K98's right now. I dont consider it profiteering when guys are willing to bid something into the stratosphere.

Reactions: Rory

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
850 for captures?!?!?!?
Put a nice RC out for 850, highlight the Waffens, take nice pictures and use the words "rare"...include some of the codes "RARE 855 and 135 codes". Make sure to use a uncluttered backdrop such as a dark blanket.....and dont forget the 'buy it now' function. Boom. Sold.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I too must add to the discussion. My experience with GB has been negative. I experienced an issue with GB that was very much a GB problem and had zero results with customer service follow through. I was charged over $100 in listing fees because of an oversight in technical details. The service was worse than a credit card customer service experience. I will never give GB another dime.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts