1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody have a 1919a4 backplate that has the aluminum one piece grip on it that could see if the wood/plastic/phenalic grips from a 1917a1 would fit on it instead of the aluminum grips ? I do not like the looks of the one piece aluminum grips but I was thinking if the 1917a1 grips would fit on, it would look more like a earlier/correct 1919a4. I am looking for about 8-10 back plate assy's and don't want to spend a fortune one them.

Thanks for looking
ajmdreammg42

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
Yes , for the most part. Of course the fit may be a little off due to manufacturing tolerances . Also , a stumbling block would be the lack of a locating pin cross hole in most grips . Needed for a two piece grip , not for a one piece. HTH.
Chris

·
Watercooled Addict
2,082 Posts
Yep. Chris is right, they will fit fine but a hole will need to be drilled in them and a locating pin installed to keep the two piece grip panels from spinning. Other than that the backplates were the same.

·
5,467 Posts
Chris and John are both right Some of the M1917 grip frames were modified for the one piece aluminum grip by removing the locating pin and later grip frames just did away with the pin hole.

The one piece aluminum grip (stock) is from 1936 and was originally developed for the M1919A2 and is the original production M1919A4 equipment.

Early prototype A4's may have had the two piece stocks because they were fabricated from M1917's I have prototype pictures from 1936 that show the one piece aluminum stock.

Here's a part of the drawing for the grip frame showing the locating pin hole.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
my bad , For some reason I thought the aluminum grips came after WW2, not before in 1936. Thanks for all the info. You guys are a great help and a wealth of knowledge.

·
5,467 Posts
my bad , For some reason I thought the aluminum grips came after WW2, not before in 1936. Thanks for all the info. You guys are a great help and a wealth of knowledge.
I'm sure that somewhere out there there was at least 1 M1919A4 with a M1917 backplate with walnut or Bakelite stocks, if you like the look go for it, drilling a hole for a locating pin wont really hurt anything that's why I put up the drawing.

·
Premium Member
5,353 Posts
Alan you are a day late and a dollar short as I just sold some that were beautiful but I may be able to get more as the guy had a bunch cheap, I will let you know next week. most of the guys want the cast grips so I only bought about 12 thinking I would be sitting on them but who knows what the market is going to demand? russ

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Russ,
Definetly look into getting more, need about 10-12 as long as I can put the wood or plastic grips on them, Are these complete ? or are they stripped ? CHEAP IS GOOD !!!

Thanks
Allan

Alan you are a day late and a dollar short as I just sold some that were beautiful but I may be able to get more as the guy had a bunch cheap, I will let you know next week. most of the guys want the cast grips so I only bought about 12 thinking I would be sitting on them but who knows what the market is going to demand? russ

·
Premium Member
5,353 Posts
complete but no grips so I guess semi complete maybe? give me a shout next week and I will see what I can do.

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,034 Posts
For what it's worth, the Bakelite paneled grip is correct for WWII production 1919A4s, depending on the manufacturer. Only Saginaw used a cast grip and even they made the old style initially, but with the aluminum one-piece grip. BA made both the aluminum and Bakelite versions. I have seen plenty of both. RIA made mostly Bakelite, but they also had some wood ones, probably early war production. BCI made Bakelite for sure. Have not seen any other variation so far.

·
5,467 Posts

Here's a drawing by a contractor Michigan Molded Plastics from 1942 for the Bakelite stocks.

RIA had no way to file these sorts of drawings so they numbered them with the the Ordnance drawing number and they got filmed like everything else and show up 70 years after the fact.

Maybe this is a drawing sent to RIA forapproval?

·
Registered
811 Posts
On a related note, over the Thanksgiving holiday I found myself in West Hurley NY, home of Numrich Gun Parts, and stopped by to see what parts I could find...They still have some 1917 back plates....but not many..maybe 10 left...some with wood, and some without....all in not such great condition...They could be cleaned up somewhat, but some will have pitting and such....they are also otherwise stripped..they need all the little bits, springs, screws, plates, etc....I did pick one up..they are $55ish.... ill post pics....They said they just dont have a lot of this stuff left

·
5,467 Posts
On a related note, over the Thanksgiving holiday I found myself in West Hurley NY, home of Numrich Gun Parts, and stopped by to see what parts I could find...They still have some 1917 back plates....but not many..maybe 10 left...some with wood, and some without....all in not such great condition...They could be cleaned up somewhat, but some will have pitting and such....they are also otherwise stripped..they need all the little bits, springs, screws, plates, etc....I did pick one up..they are $55ish.... ill post pics....They said they just dont have a lot of this stuff left
Do these have the slot for the trigger latch?

·
Registered
811 Posts
Do these have the slot for the trigger latch?
They do not have the slot for the trigger safety...I asked and the guy from the warehouse mentioned they often take this stuff to Knob Creek and that they get a lot of people asking for the early safety slot...They dont have any of those left.

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,034 Posts
They do not have the slot for the trigger safety...I asked and the guy from the warehouse mentioned they often take this stuff to Knob Creek and that they get a lot of people asking for the early safety slot...They dont have any of those left.
Sometime next year there just may be a new made supply of these. Just sayin'!

·
Registered
440 Posts
you can buy from Numrich in person ?

I was never aware that Numrich had in person/walk up sales. I had never asked them on the phone when i'd order parts. That would be great to be there in person, unless it's like Sarco where you can't actually pick through parts, they do it for you in the back warehouses. How does Numrich do things ?

--Andrew

·
Registered
811 Posts
That would be great to be there in person, unless it's like Sarco where you can't actually pick through parts, they do it for you in the back warehouses. How does Numrich do things ?

--Andrew
Its not as exciting as it should be...You go into a small very plain office, and either look up in their master catalog or they check on the computer for you...then call the warehouse and bring you the part. Id love to be able to wander through their warehouses, but i dont think they allow that...Although Ive never asked, so maybe....They do have a neat WW1 German artillery piece just sitting next to the sales office which is cool....and all these other buildings ya cant get into....

1 - 20 of 28 Posts