1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was looking threw my 1917 parts and low and behold found one of my 1917 rear site movable base has a C inside a square. This is the only part I have ever seen with a 1917 colt marking, has anybody seen any thing else marked ?

20150710_205724.jpg 20150710_205744.jpg

·
Premium Member
6,055 Posts
Alan I don't think that mark wad around until WWII the earlier Colt marks were different like the Omega C and a few others but it would be interesting to see what others have to say about this. Russ

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,236 Posts
That Colt mark is easy to explain, in the case of the water cooled rear sight parts. The components are for the M2 .50 cal water cooled, which uses all the same components as the 1917A1 rear sight, with the exception of the leaf graduations being specific to the model. The windage movable base is the same used from WWI through WWII. Considering the late .30 cal sight combo slide in its last revision of the early 1930s, all those parts get used on both .30 and .50 water cooled, with only the basic leaf itself being different.

One can also find that windage base with the H.S. marking. Frigidaire also made WC .50s, but I have not seen an F marked sight part yet.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Dam Rollin is there something you do not know about these sites ? :D Thanks for the info. Looked at my 50 rear sites and one has the Colt markings on the movable base and base and windage screw the other has HS marking on same parts. Neither of the ladders are marked. Heres some pics
Colt one
20150711_203206.jpg 20150711_203218.jpg

The HS one
20150711_203256.jpg 20150711_203317.jpg

The HS one looks brand new but the Colt has some corrosion by the numbers and I am afraid to sand it down anymore cause might wipe out the numbers
anyone has done any sanding with a microscope ? LOL
20150711_203358.jpg 20150711_203421.jpg

Thanks again Rollin for the addiction :tongue: maybe the disease you spread should be called "rollinSITEous" :rofl:
20150711_203906.jpg

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,236 Posts
I accept all... scratch that... I accept NO responsibility for spreading any such disease as RollinSITEous or anything remotely similar, in terms of symptoms, description, treatment etc. I suffer from this disease myself, but I will not admit to any infection of others through contact with me via direct interaction at KCR or by post on this forum. I am not a carrier, and I know no cure. It's not my fault, that's my story and I'm sticking to it! :devillook:

But that's a nice collection, Allan. My own M2 WC sight, including both fixed and movable bases, is all unmarked. Don't know if that means it's Frigidaire, but that might explain it. I don't see enough of this stuff like I have on the .30 cal versions. But I do have a couple of Colt marked movable bases, windage screws, etc in my personal stash of stuff. It just turns up once in a while. I'd love to find a Colt marked fixed base like yours. That would be cool!

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Damn Alan. You really do have a bad case of "rollinSITEous".... LMAO

By the looks of the photo, your also addicted to collecting barrels.... ;)
Thejackal,
Been collecting barrels for a long time, I figured out long ago that part could wear out the fastest, plus when the goverment put a ban on importation of them I aggressively sought out the rarer ones. Glad I did now and have hundreds of them but still allways looking for more .;)

20150711_223732.jpg 20150711_223740.jpg 20150711_223753.jpg

·
Registered
5,117 Posts
Odd thing about the Colt 1917 Parts. We have found WW1 unmarked Topcovers and backplates that are WW1 as well as some bolts that the markings are intrigueing, That said, NO Colt WW1 markings yet. We try to keep track of what is marked or not and have found some Remington stuff we thought didnt get marked only to find a marked example later. THE Hunt is still on though.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Odd thing about the Colt 1917 Parts. We have found WW1 unmarked Topcovers and backplates that are WW1 as well as some bolts that the markings are intrigueing, That said, NO Colt WW1 markings yet. We try to keep track of what is marked or not and have found some Remington stuff we thought didnt get marked only to find a marked example later. THE Hunt is still on though.
From what I have observed is that the Remington parts will be marked with a R in a triangle, but seems like the Colt were never marked and only some parts on the westy stuff was marked. I have a bolt that has the serial number on it but no MFG marks. maybe some day we should have some sort of picture data base for all the MFG markings to set up as a reference ? But the question is would that feed the incurable disease Rollinsiteous ? :tongue:

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,236 Posts
I suppose we need to put together a list of which parts we have documented were marked by Westinghouse and Remington. It's a nearly identical list, just minor divergence.

In addition to examples of unmarked, WWI top cover and back plates, I have a bolt, breech locks, breech lock cams, accelerators barrel extensions. We think the cams are probably Westy, as the Remys are always marked and both are common. I know where an original Colt gun is, but I don't have access to see it, let alone permission to pull it apart. Would be nice!

·
Registered
5,117 Posts
I have tried to convince Charlie to expand the 1919tech sight but he has his hands full with the research he is doing now.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts