1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Well, I reckon any of us folk with a lathe could make just about any type of charging handle you could want.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
I made a handle out of an old Winged Victory hood ornament but I got drunk and dropped it a couple of times and now it looks kind of like the Venus De Milo.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Buck said:
Sounds good Men.

Somebody with the skills to make one like an AK-47 charging handle, step up to the plate and figure out how to make one out of an original handle or a new one from bar stock.

I'm in for one.
It shouldnt be to hard to make one. All you would have to do would make an elongared portion to fit the charging handle slot so that it wouldnt turn. Might be pretty cool. One with a ring on it would save wear and tear on the fingers, too Or one that folds flat like an L1A1 handle. The possibilities are endless...........

Anybody got a picture of a C5 D ring handle they could post?

·
Registered
864 Posts
I don't see how you could make it work properly since the cocking handle rotates freely in the bolt. Sure you could make a new cocking knob like an AK47 type, but it would spin around and not stay in the right position unless you put some sort of keeper in the cocking knob which would require a corresponding slot milled into the bolt. Sounds like alot of work to complicate a simple system, for no benefits.

The bell shaped 1919 cocking knob (see pic below) provides a secure curved surface to grab for cocking. I really don't see how an AK47 type would offer any benefits.

·
Registered
81 Posts
You have my wheels turning now........

Last night I finished removing 2 lbs of steel from a stock 1919 bbl in 7.62 for a "increased rof" project I'm working on. I guess I could machine myself a new handle also! The original one does have room for improvement!

B

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
As I stated, the rim that fits in the operating handle slot could be slightly elongated, ( actualy I said "elongared" which was a typo and might have mislead some as to what the Hell I was talking about) to prevent the handle from turning , rotating or spinning, as the case might be.

If you will look at the bolt when its in battery position you will see that there is space to do that and stil be able to disasemble the weapon.

I believe that a small investment cast statue of J. M. Browning would make a bitchin handle

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
What HOTTAK47 is getting at is there would be a small set of wings and the simplly follow the charging handle slot so that the handle does not rotate.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Yes, Blkbd summed up exactly what I meant without all the excessive verbage, misspellings and confusion.

I can just picture myself, firing from the hip, standing behind a 4" fireball screaming "WINGS! by God, WINGS! My cocking handle has WINGS!

Those that know me know this sort of thing is a regular event............

·
Registered
278 Posts
I have been looking at the M2HB retracting slide design and was wondering if we could duplicate it in a smaller scall for the 1919 ??

1 - 20 of 42 Posts