1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, recently I've had the ability to purchase a heap (for a semi 1919 owner) of 338 federal ammo and was looking at getting a 1919 barrel made to shoot it. I know id need a custom front cartridge stop and booster. Does anyone know a barrel maker or have the prints for a barrel? Seeing as its based on a 308 i wouldnt need to adjust the bolt and could stretch cloth belts. Any input would be appreciated.

Registered
My input would be , don't try to reinvent the wheel ....I mean , Unless your getting 10.000 rds for way below current prices of ammo on hand , then maybe.......Also , pushing a 200gr bullet threw a 1919 could bring up a lot of other issues...Not saying it can't be done...But , with the cost of having a one off barrel made , hoping the belts will stretch , figuring out what size booster you will need , and spacer....Will it pay off in the end......I guess what I am trying to say is { Let Mike Duke do it first }馃槈 馃榿

Registered
I would sell that ammo and buy ammo that works without having to reinvent the wheel. No advantage to shooting that caliber.

PhD in Over-Engineering
I can supply the barrel drawing, but this is not an inexpensive barrel to make. Those 16 locking notches are the hard part. But if you can get a blank with the right bore, and spend for the tooling and machine time, it certainly can be done. As you mentioned, the cartridge spacer would need to be made. I don't know anything about that cartridge, but you will likely want a fairly large booster orifice. The Ordnance Dept did use one as large as .920" for the M1 Ball cartridge, which ran a 173 grain projo. They went down to .870 later.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
I can supply the barrel drawing, but this is not an inexpensive barrel to make. Those 16 locking notches are the hard part. But if you can get a blank with the right bore, and spend for the tooling and machine time, it certainly can be done. As you mentioned, the cartridge spacer would need to be made. I don't know anything about that cartridge, but you will likely want a fairly large booster orifice. The Ordnance Dept did use one as large as .920" for the M1 Ball cartridge, which ran a 173 grain projo. They went down to .870 later.
The barrel drawing would be much appreciated! And I was thinking about a booster with a modular booster orifice thats threaded for different diameters; was thinking this could help with the botlt velocity.

Premium Member
That鈥檚 a pretty easy conversion.
All the work is the barrel.
I would not redesign a barrel just to go from .308 to .338. It鈥檚 only .030.
Take a shot out barrel, and run a piloted reamer through it for the .030.

Get it here:

Then run a .338 rifling button through it.
Get it here:

Ream the chamber with the chamber reamer.
get it here:

your home free.
I鈥檒l do it if you want me to.
This is what I would do.

Premium Member
.......Also , pushing a 200gr bullet threw a 1919 could bring up a lot of other issues...Not saying it can't be done...But , with the cost of having a one off barrel made , hoping the belts will stretch , figuring out what size booster you will need , and spacer....Will it pay off in the end......I guess what I am trying to say is { Let Mike Duke do it first }馃槈 馃榿
200grn bullet, no problem.
most 8mm is 198grn and it runs great in 1919s. Correct booster for sure. You nailed that. .030 on the front cartridge stop.
same case as a .308 except the neck. im sure belts and links will be fine.
Do It.
Looks like fun.

PhD in Over-Engineering
Well, there you go. I wouldn't hesitate to take Mike's advice. But if you want the barrel drawing anyway, drop me an e-mail here: rollin13 AT juno DOT com

Registered
If you insist on shooting 338 Fed, I would rebore a shot out 308 barrel. I can't speak to Autos, but I have had 2 lever actions rebored by JES and am very happy with them. I'm sure somebody has a shot out 308 laying around!! If you can't find one I used to have one that was missing 10" of rifling. I'm sure I can find it again.

Premium Member
I spoke to McGowen Precision about making one in 6.5 x 55 Swede. They will do it, just never followed up. The blanks they had were 4140 or 416R stainless, not 4150 like the GI barrels are. I believe $340 was the price they charge for a full custom barrels. They are the only barrel manufacturer that would do it that I could find. Krieger, Criterion, ER Shaw would not do it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts