1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am selling off my Full auto parts kits and have had numerous inquiries about what would be needed to build a semi gun out of the F/A parts kits. I've never dealt with the semi guns before all I have ever owned is a transferrable registered full auto. Can someone enlighten me so I can answer their questions?

Also who are some companies that do the semi-auto builds or rework the full auto parts to semi configuration?

Thanks all,

Charles Cox
Owner of Viking Arms in Ashland KY

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Actually the full auto parts kits are the same as the semi-auto parts kits. The difference is when the barrel extension, bolt and lock frame are modified to clear the semi-auto compliance island on the new semi-auto right side plate. Some companies sell the parts kits with those parts already milled so i guess they would be semi auto parts kits. In addition you need:

Semi Auto side plate with compliance island (built up metal area on part of the inside).
Semi auto trigger
Semi Auto Sear
Bolt machined to accept semi-auto sear only
Bolt machined to clear compliance island
lock frame may or may not need to be machine to clear the compliance island depending on who made the side plate.
Barrel extension machined to clear compliance island
Complete Rivet set

The milling of the internal parts and compliance island are to prevent the installation of full auto internal parts. Since there are different versions of the compliance island the internal parts are not usually milled for a semi parts kit unless you are also purchasing one of that companies right side plates.Most people use the KMP trigger and sear. I believe KMP sells side plates as well but they may not be the same as those sold by Ohio Ordnance works for example.

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
A new made right side plate is needed. They start with a thicker plate so it can have denial islands machined into them to keep stock, full auto parts from being accidentally/purposefully installed.
A full auto bolt is machined thinner with profile matching the denial island/islands.
The sear is made wider to accommodate the trigger. The opening for the sear in the back of the bolt is opened up for the semi sear.
The semi auto trigger assy. is very different than a full auto trigger. The FA trigger is a plain bent looking bar. The new semi trigger has additions to it that are different.

TomT and Brian Penley do the machine work, among others here. Those are just the guys that spring forth from the depths of my brain at this moment.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
I forgot to mention there is a tutorial on building a semi-auto under Articles and Tutorials on this site that pretty much explains the process for a building a semi auto 1919A4.

·
Legendary Donor
2,491 Posts
Actually the full auto parts kits are the same as the semi-auto parts kits. The difference is when the barrel extension, bolt and lock frame are modified to clear the semi-auto compliance island on the new semi-auto right side plate. Some companies sell the parts kits with those parts already milled so i guess they would be semi auto parts kits. In addition you need:

Semi Auto side plate with compliance island (built up metal area on part of the inside).
Semi auto trigger
Semi Auto Sear
Bolt machined to accept semi-auto sear only
Bolt machined to clear compliance island
lock frame may or may not need to be machine to clear the compliance island depending on who made the side plate.
Barrel extension machined to clear compliance island
Complete Rivet set

The milling of the internal parts and compliance island are to prevent the installation of full auto internal parts. Since there are different versions of the compliance island the internal parts are not usually milled for a semi parts kit unless you are also purchasing one of that companies right side plates.Most people use the KMP trigger and sear. I believe KMP sells side plates as well but they may not be the same as those sold by Ohio Ordnance works for example.
And don't forget the accelerator needs opened up to clear the disconnector on the semi trigger,

·
Premium Member
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does anyone do complete builds if you supply the parts kit? If so how much does the complete build usually run?

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,236 Posts
Does anyone do complete builds if you supply the parts kit? If so how much does the complete build usually run?
There are a number of builders around. John B. McGuire is among the most highly regarded and no doubt the fastest, as well as very reasonable. My company, Rogue Island Arsenal, of course, but I am a bit backlogged and not going to be your fastest right now. Or least expensive. Depends on your needs, and you can look at my website to see what my work looks like. Others here will probably chime in.

·
Premium Member
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all I appreciate it. Got all the info for my customers. Now just have to wait for one of them to buy it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts